Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One year of owning my dream toy and already thinking of going back to Benz

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 02:49 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

I've got over 100,000 combined miles on three 997's now and can say with no hesitation that they've been the most dependable cars I've ever owned. I'd chalk up all your problems to bad luck or a bad example for whatever reason. Philster may be on to something ^^^ Hope he's wrong but if he's right it would explain a few things.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:49 AM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd find a good Indy mechanic to look at it and give you a 2nd opinion. Sounds like you are taking it back to the dealer you bought it from? Find an Independent and get that PPI done. Take all of your records of the maintenance done by the dealer and review with the Indy. The Indy can help you decide if you have a lemon.

Why were you doing "sound deadening" in the doors? (your original post). And are you sure applying silicon sealant yourself was the right fix for the dried seals? You also said in your original post you had some "upgrades done get a tad more power" - what were they and who did them? What exactly was the issue with the steering rack? Some details might help put the pieces together.

Last edited by jcsomerv; 10-26-2015 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:14 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

X2 "upgrade power"???? what does that mean? I'm a stock guy. 385 reliable? or 400 with problems.
I just leave it reliable. Don't need any codes, hiccups or lights.
If you have five coils bad. Replace them all. Not like a benz? Your right. Engine in the back, all the goodies hanging down low, ready to get soaked. Those coils take a beating. Hot, cold, wet, repeat.
Is this the dealer giving you these reports? I'd get a second opinion. Some tecks are debbie downers. Blah blah blah, you need all this. It can often be more than the value of the car. Their job could be to generate revenue for the dealership. What is wrong with the steering rack? A slight sweat? Or catastrophic imminent failure? You're already on a enthusiast site. Take a picture of this suspected item. Perhaps someone else had a similar issue. They can post their fix.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:59 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

Those are some good ideas. I now know someone who can run the vin for me and i'll do that in few days. I have all of the paperwork and can go to someone for second opinion.
The dealer i got the car is in Appleton, Wisconsin. I'm in Chicago. I take the car to Loeber Motors. Its a tad hard to drive back to original dealer.

The sound deatning is to cut down on the road noise a tad, nothing major. But please don't go in to conversation about getting new tires instead and what do you expect its a Porsche it should be loud......

The silicone seals i've put in are better than originals, in my opinion.

The power upgrades are X51 headers, 200 cell cats, Plenum and ECU Software. I installed it all my self. Nothing major to it. I do want to note that the coils went before any of that was done. Nothing that happened seems to be related to those upgrades/deviation from original, depending on how you look at it

Steering rack just started making screeching noises one day when turning left and progressively gotten worse. They found some corrosion at first and applied lubrication. Three weeks later sound came back worse and they finally found the issue and replaced entire rack.
I really should run the VIN for flood damage....
Old 10-26-2015, 11:53 AM
chuckcintron
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes just dropping the VIN into a plain Google search will turn up clues. There is also this database which will report on theft or salvage/flood if in the title history:

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

If it shows up here and your current title is clean then someone washed the title, which is a felony in most states. I really hope this isn't the case with your car and these issues are simply due to wringing out some unfortunate mechanical kinks you are having.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:47 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Years ago (I mean like when I was in my late teens) I stupidly drove my mom's new Buick into a rain-flooded intersection thinking it wasn't as deep as it was, and the car stalled out and then like a moron I opened the door to get out and the water came flooding in. Sat there a few hours before it got towed out.

Insurance paid to replace the carpet and padding, dealer service dept said mechanically everything was fine. Changed oil just to be sure. Few months later the differential went, then the transmission, then about a year later both front wheel bearings.

The dry seals and the steering rack do sound suspicious. Just because it wasn't totaled and given a flood salvage title doesn't mean it wasn't in a flood.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:09 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Your car could be a poorly maintained car that lived it's first life outside in the cold Midwestern winters, a flood car, a Friday afternoon build or just a plain old lemon. Whatever it is, just get rid of it.

I don't give cars second chances. Car brands, sometimes. Individual cars, no. Cars don't have souls and they don't deserve redemption or forgiveness. They are mechanical devices and when they start to nickel and dime me to death, they get the ax.

The list of items you have fixed may or may not be typical, but the sum total of those items failing in the span of 7,000 miles is telling. This car will not let go of your wallet. Get it fixed and detailed. Sell or trade it. Perhaps you could use your terrible history with the car as leverage with the selling dealer. Buy what you want.

Just keep in mind that you won't get this driving experience with a Benz, unless you buy a new AMG GT. And, if it helps you decide on a replacement, my wife's E550 has been terribly unreliable in the three years we've had it.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:12 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Well, NICB is negative, so that's good.
I will take it to indi and get a fresh look.
I'm hopping its just all bad luck. I know Benz will not be the same, i've had 5 of them That's why im already looking for 997.2

Thanks guys!
Old 10-26-2015, 03:50 PM
Thedips
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
Go back to Benzos.
i see where ur coming on the other end i purchased also around the same miles wanting to pretty much attend to all those things as a preventative measure because i knew i would enjoy it for many years to come. seems like you just want to one and done the car... my ml has over 200k and couldn't be happier
Old 10-26-2015, 05:58 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by malahhaor
Well, NICB is negative, so that's good.
I will take it to indi and get a fresh look.
I'm hopping its just all bad luck. I know Benz will not be the same, i've had 5 of them That's why im already looking for 997.2

Thanks guys!
Sounds like the right answer. You seem to really enjoy the 911, but that specific car has been driving you nuts. Now you can take your time and find one that speaks to you. I really enjoy mine.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:24 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37
Sounds like the right answer. You seem to really enjoy the 911, but that specific car has been driving you nuts. Now you can take your time and find one that speaks to you. I really enjoy mine.
Yeah, I had big plans for it. Wanted to retrofit PASM, already got all the parts. Sport exhaust, working on electronics to make the dash button work like factory. Retrofit 997.2 ventilated seats. And a couple other small things.
Maybe this time I can find one with all the toys but it won't be as much fun not to tinker
Old 10-26-2015, 07:44 PM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I suspect the previous owner knew there were problems with the car and dumped it by trading it in. What's the first thing people try to do when there are repairs they can't or don't want to pay for? That's why it's so important to get a PPI prior to purchasing a complex car like a 911.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:34 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Only issues I've had with my 997.2 is roof rattle and a squeaky belt that was covered under cpo warranty. Car has been pretty rock solid.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:34 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Years ago (I mean like when I was in my late teens) I stupidly drove my mom's new Buick into a rain-flooded intersection thinking it wasn't as deep as it was, and the car stalled out and then like a moron I opened the door to get out and the water came flooding in. Sat there a few hours before it got towed out.

Insurance paid to replace the carpet and padding, dealer service dept said mechanically everything was fine. Changed oil just to be sure. Few months later the differential went, then the transmission, then about a year later both front wheel bearings.

The dry seals and the steering rack do sound suspicious. Just because it wasn't totaled and given a flood salvage title doesn't mean it wasn't in a flood.
"Whose the U boat commander?" Sorry

Quick Reply: One year of owning my dream toy and already thinking of going back to Benz