Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts
Default Rain-X Causing problems ??

2009 C2S 91K miles

OK, someone posted something about this a few weeks ago and I can't find it. I think I should stop reading this stuff because I catch the cold.

Issue: "Refill Washer Fluid" warning light pops on now when full. I use Rain-X almost exclusively. The darn thing is full. It popped on last week, darn didn't I just fill it?.... added less than a quart and it was full to the top. Hmmmm.... Popped on again next morning. Something is wrong.

Questions:

1) Anyone have their washer flluid monitor system fail?
2) Someone posted here they thought Rain-X is "coating" the sensor in the tank and interfering with operation. Thoughts? The poster, IIRC, noted the sensor is electrical fork and not a float system. Anyone know the poster or can find that post? Maybe it was in another forum but the Google didn't work for me.
3) Is there any way to drain the tank without using the squirters?

I gotta stop reading these posts. Everytime someone posts a gremlin, I get it. So, someone post something about how more horsepower just appeared.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-23-2015, 10:47 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

I had the RainX stuff clog the filter in my earlier BMW's windshield washer tank when it created sort of a gelatinous goo layer on the filter. It required removal of the tank and a vigorous effort to get it cleaned out. It also left the non-wiped portion of the windshield much more cloudy than more conventional stuff. I won't use it again.

Maybe you can siphon it out with a small diameter hose to get rid of most of the remaining fluid, but if yours got gooey like mine I'm not sure that will completely solve it. It would be worth a try though if removal is difficult (?).
Old 10-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,439 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 91K miles

OK, someone posted something about this a few weeks ago and I can't find it. I think I should stop reading this stuff because I catch the cold.

Issue: "Refill Washer Fluid" warning light pops on now when full. I use Rain-X almost exclusively. The darn thing is full. It popped on last week, darn didn't I just fill it?.... added less than a quart and it was full to the top. Hmmmm.... Popped on again next morning. Something is wrong.

Questions:

1) Anyone have their washer flluid monitor system fail?
2) Someone posted here they thought Rain-X is "coating" the sensor in the tank and interfering with operation. Thoughts? The poster, IIRC, noted the sensor is electrical fork and not a float system. Anyone know the poster or can find that post? Maybe it was in another forum but the Google didn't work for me.
3) Is there any way to drain the tank without using the squirters?

I gotta stop reading these posts. Everytime someone posts a gremlin, I get it. So, someone post something about how more horsepower just appeared.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
It was our resident Porsche-can-do-no-wronger, Adias that made this post.

I will see if I can find it.

I think its nonsense, but he swears anything other than porsche washer fluid will clog the system.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,439 Likes on 834 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...her-fluid.html
Old 10-23-2015, 11:23 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

FYI there seems to be a lot of problems with the Rain-X stuff on various web forums. I found quite a few reports of problems by Googling "rain-x windshield clog" and "rain-x windshield sensor".
Old 10-23-2015, 11:27 AM
snethss
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. The Rain-X wiper fluid has also caused an issue with the sensor in my Mercedes CLS. It creates a coating on the sensors. I just short the connection to bypass the sensor.

I actually like the performance of the fluid, but I will not be using it in my Porsche.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:47 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Rain-X is causing a lot of issues when used in the Windshied/Headlight washer system. I have a friend with a Volvo who swears that he will never use Rain-X again.

It leaves gooey stuff and painted his car with a washed yellow.

I use exclusively the Porsche windshield cleaner that you can buy for a few dollars and that will last a lifetime.

Yves
Old 10-23-2015, 12:10 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I put rainx on the windshield, I never heard of any that goes in the washer, I always have plain water in the washer
Old 10-23-2015, 12:15 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 151 Posts

I use the Audi wiper fluid, no problems and its supposed to have some rain repellent in it. But I have no idea if Its rain-x.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:29 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I only use Rain-x on my glass. For seems like 20 years. Works great. When first applied you have to be careful on a 911. Some of the fresh Rain-x will evaporate off the windshield, airflow carries it over the car into the intake, where it improves combustion resulting in more power.

I'm not sure if this is a problem, but you did ask for a post about power just appeared….
Old 10-23-2015, 04:52 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So ... Rain-X is a poorboy's version of NOS?
Old 10-23-2015, 05:13 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I find it makes my wipers skip and chatter, so no Rain X for me.

all the best...
Old 10-23-2015, 06:19 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
I put rainx on the windshield, I never heard of any that goes in the washer, I always have plain water in the washer
^ sort of. I rub Rain-X on a dry windshield and it's great in the rain, especially on the track. No reason to run the wipers as the wind blows everything off

But it's wiper fluid in the washer, not water as it washes a little better and has a low freeze point.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:17 PM
snethss
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

while we are on the topic, does anyone know what to use to flush out the rainx wiper fluid gunk? I was thinking of a light detergent or possibly vinegar, followed by lots of distilled water.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:32 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

Originally Posted by snethss
while we are on the topic, does anyone know what to use to flush out the rainx wiper fluid gunk? I was thinking of a light detergent or possibly vinegar, followed by lots of distilled water.
I think I will try this tomorrow.... gota suck it all out though.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Rain-X Causing problems ??