Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two weeks after tire plugged and patched BLOWOUT on the highway!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 08:26 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If that is the same tire why didn't they see this mess? Put your life in danger. Go elsewhere.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:23 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
If that is the same tire why didn't they see this mess? Put your life in danger. Go elsewhere.
?????? Im confused . He stated clearly that the patch held fine and that he ran into debris after 2 weeks of driving that flattened the same tire (but in a different area of the tire). He confirmed this via seeing debris-damage to the adjacent front tire.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:28 PM
motopix
Pro

Originally Posted by myw
?????? Im confused . He stated clearly that the patch held fine and that he ran into debris after 2 weeks of driving that flattened the same tire (but in a different area of the tire). He confirmed this via seeing debris-damage to the adjacent front tire.
It's not you.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:55 PM
JasonNY
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by motopix
It's not you.
Sorry guys I edited the first post. To summarize the passenger rear had a nail and slow leak about 2 weeks ago and I had it plugged and patched. 2 weeks later on the highway the tire blewout and I assumed it was the patch that failed. As it turned out lightening struck twice and that tire was hit with debris and slashed open in a different spot (original patch was fine). Just really bad luck for that tire RIP
Old 10-22-2015, 11:33 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

It's not you.
imo at 13k miles.. that rear didnt have much life left anyways.

be glad that you didnt buy a brand new tire... which then ended up getting totalled 2 weeks later.!

Originally Posted by JasonNY
Sorry guys I edited the first post. To summarize the passenger rear had a nail and slow leak about 2 weeks ago and I had it plugged and patched. 2 weeks later on the highway the tire blewout and I assumed it was the patch that failed. As it turned out lightening struck twice and that tire was hit with debris and slashed open in a different spot (original patch was fine). Just really bad luck for that tire RIP
Old 10-22-2015, 11:59 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonNY
So the patch held. In spite of the thread title. You can't keep a good patch down.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:24 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you get a new set, buy the road hazard insurance!
Old 10-23-2015, 02:25 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

It's not you.
Guess I'm guilty. The way I read it......never mind
Old 10-23-2015, 02:50 AM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just me but I will not ride on a regular basis with a patched or plugged tire...period. To get home maybe but that it.
My life is literally riding on my tires, and at the speeds that I have experienced any failure would be pretty much a death sentence.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:47 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

"The more expensive, the wider, the newer, and no spare tire factor.
Makes your car and its tires more attractive to debris, damage." William Shakespeare 1609
Old 10-23-2015, 02:57 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 244 Posts

I am a proponent of plugging and patching. Those that suggest you should replace a street tire just because it has been plugged should be ignored. They are the same people that will tell you you're going to die a fiery death if you use non-Porsche washer fluid.

BUT, that tire was toast when you had it patched the first time. When you're driving on tires that have gone past the treadwear indicators and you've almost wiped out the sipes, it's time to replace them. I'm the first to admit that I will get every mile out of a set of tires on my other vehicles, but when your Porsche wheels cost a thousand Dollars, I'm not going to let my tires get down to the steel belts.

In addition, new tires can absorb a lot more punishment than bald ones. I've pulled debris out of new tires that would have fully punctured the tire you pictured.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:06 PM
caslca
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it just me or does that tire look significantly overworn on the inside? I see the inner-most groove is down to the tread marker, while the second has like a 1/8" above that.

OP, I would bring the car to a good alignment shop to take a look just in case.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:12 PM
caslca
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I sure am glad to hear it wasn't the plug though. I have plugged tires on pretty much all cars i've owned and never had issues. I use the string plugs with liberal application of rubber cement.

I currently have a plug on my front left. It's been there for 5K miles with speeds of < 80mph but daily runs of 65-70mph.

I also drove my M3 at alleged speeds of >120MPH with a plug in the front (was in a hurry to trade it in for my turbo ). Probably not the smartest choice now that I think about it...

Last edited by caslca; 10-23-2015 at 03:17 PM. Reason: 2
Old 10-28-2015, 10:14 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by caslca
Is it just me or does that tire look significantly overworn on the inside? I see the inner-most groove is down to the tread marker, while the second has like a 1/8" above that.

OP, I would bring the car to a good alignment shop to take a look just in case.
Factory oem setting will wear down the inside of rear tires first. I recon if you drive the car hard and corner the same it should wear down evenly.

But they can adjust the camber a few degrees if needed

Quick Reply: Two weeks after tire plugged and patched BLOWOUT on the highway!!