Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad day for 997.2 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 11:21 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Looks like it should go back together quickly.
See if they will spray the parts off the car, then assemble.
No overspray. Clip clip clip. Done.
Don't forget to post build photo's.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:01 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkuri
So, I guess it's true what they say. Certainly reflects my own experiences.

SERIOUSLY? Jesus. Ridiculous.
Oh, rub some Vagisil on your bruised sensibilities.
Besides: How do you know what I meant?
Old 10-15-2015, 12:06 AM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Oh, rub some Vagisil on your bruised sensibilities.
Besides: How do you know what I meant?
Classy, as always.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:55 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Make sure you do your due diligence on auto body shops. Just because it is going through the Porsche dealership does not guaranty great work. The relationship between the dealership and body shop is often based on economics and then quality.

I would try to find out which body shops are go to shops for local Porsche enthusiasts.
Boy is this the truth! In Philly, for many years my local Porsche dealer recommended ****'s autobody for work (not mentioning the name as it was many years ago). They had their cards in stacks in the service department.

Well they just did a terrible job on my Boxster S back in 2001.

I had a fender-bender where a lady pulled out in front of me at low speed and close quarters. What did the shop do? Some knuckle head there, maybe its their policy, thought it would be a good idea to polish the entire car with an abrasive. The car was virtually brand new and perfect, no need for this. I picked the car up, the finish look "deep and wet"... ooooooo...... Well they use (told me later) 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, which is full of filling oil, and about a week later when the stuff evaporates, the car was filled with spider swirls!!!! I was pissed off.

I took the car back and the manager apologized and re-worked the car by wet sanding the whole thing. It still was not the way it was and it took a few years of me polishing with an orbital, doing normal neurotic detailing, to get the thing to look showroom again.

Story was the dealer owner and the body shop are personal friends. Best place in Philly to take your car is Karrosserie in Wayne. BTW, my friend in NYC shipped his exotic Spyker down here to Karosserie because they were about $1000 cheaper than the rip-off places around the city. Karosserie is certified for Jaguar, Tesla, Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborgini ... etc etc..... guys are sent to training in Europe blah blah. They are a gem around here.

Why did I listen to the dealer and not the advice of a few friends? I had the "Porsche is a Faberge Egg" delusion and the dealer knows best. Phoooooey.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-15-2015, 11:30 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Glad your o.k. from this accident. From the photos it looks like you rear ended them pretty good. Air bags deployed also ?

I'd get it fixed back to stock.

Good luck.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:09 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Diminished value could be 20-25% of the vehicle's value. It isn't going to be a check for $3k
I went thorough this with a CPO Cayenne S bought at a local Pcar dealer. It was traded in basically right out of the repair shop. It didn't hit carfax for 13 months. I went to go trade the car in and it was worth 25% less and there was no airbag deployment. Just new front and rear bumpers. I tore into my dealer as the car was specifically labeled a no accident car and I had paper work. They asked what I was looking to buy and I explained all my parameters. Took a month but they made me whole on my Cayenne.

If I hadn't bought my 997 from them I would have lost 25% at trade in from another dealer.
It hurts to have this on your car's record. Pcar owners are going to be much pickier about an accident than your average consumer. I can't tell you how many threads are on here about a guy wanting to buy a car and it's been in an accident and almost universally the comments are "there's a ton out there find a no issue car". There are those that will take the chance on a well documented and repaired car but at a SIGNIFICANT reduction in price.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:31 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Little Green
There are those that will take the chance on a well documented and repaired car but at a SIGNIFICANT reduction in price.
Yup, that is how I nailed my 2009 C2S with 26K miles for $53K... it had a bad CarFax "Hit a wild animal". Similar cars were going for above $70K at the time (it was also dead of winter). As a buyer, you can mitigate risk as I did with a good PPI but it is still risk. Good to be a cautious and thorough buyer, bad to be the seller.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-15-2015, 01:51 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry OP. Looks like we've both had bad weeks. I got hit while standing still at a stop sign on Monday. Other driver at fault, their insurance is handling the repairs.

My question for all you who have been there: how do you ensure that insurance pays for new parts rather than used?

Last edited by JCGMS; 10-15-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:09 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCGMS
Sorry OP. Looks like we've both had bad weeks. I got hit while standing still at a stop sign on Monday. Other driver at fault, their insurance is handling the repairs.

My question for all you who have been there: how do you ensure that insurance pays for new parts rather than used?

Attachment 982027
I couldn't grab the link... error.

OEM/new parts are denoted in your policy. I know this because I ask the insurance company before I buy the insurance... I want OEM/New and yes, it is an optional clause and it costs. If a reputable installer is doing the work, I never checked. For glass, however, I have been burned by Safelite so now I discuss with installer/repair facility that OEM/new is in my policy and I will be checking. Other than that, it has been on faith.

After having conversations with the owner of a reputable repair facility, who was repairing a new model (I am not going to tell where or what), he noted that the new model was having parts shortages so to get his first in out,...... yep.... he pulled tail lights off of the most recent in and installed on the other.... just to move the cars. He was not doing this for money, just to keep the cars moving and the owners... wel... happy (?).

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-15-2015, 03:03 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OP, sorry to hear/see. Glad you were OK.

Good luck hope you get it sorted and back on the road soon.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:39 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DutchNy
BodyShop estimate was $14k, Porsche dealer was $28k... Covered by insurance so repairs are being done by Porsche.
$28K in damages, just see if you can get it totaled? Your 911 will be worth nothing in the use market. My father's MDX got hit a few months ago and I had to keep pushing to get it totaled, the insurance finally agreed. You will get more than what you can sell it for in the used market and go get another one. It's never the same once it's been in an accident.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:05 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I couldn't grab the link... error.

OEM/new parts are denoted in your policy. I know this because I ask the insurance company before I buy the insurance... I want OEM/New and yes, it is an optional clause and it costs.
Yes but what if the other person's insurance is paying? How do I get them to use new OEM parts rather than used "insurance quality"?

JC
Old 10-15-2015, 10:09 PM
Erazo PR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCGMS

Sorry...so sad to see this....and in a stop sign...wow
Old 10-15-2015, 10:45 PM
psc85c
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk to your insurance company. If the other insurer has admitted fault you can have the repairs done thru your insurance carrier and they can subrogate to get paid back. No reason to deal with intransigent cheapskate insurance companies, if you paid for a better policy.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:23 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 361 Posts

+1 for the DV claim.. I got hit by someone backing up in my Cayman a few years ago, and the damage looked similar to the OPs. I recall it was around 8k in repairs from the local high-end shop in our area that most pca members use.. I had to push for it, but I got a dv check for over 3k as I recall.. Accident was never reported to car fax..

Quick Reply: Bad day for 997.2 C4S