Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015 | 12:17 PM
Don DeJ
Track Day

Default first oil change

Hi, about to do first oil change on my 06 . I'm confused about engine service light when reading about changing the oil. Will it go on and how do I turn it off etc. Can I just leave it on ??

Thanks Don
Old 10-04-2015 | 02:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Don DeJ
Hi, about to do first oil change on my 06 . I'm confused about engine service light when reading about changing the oil. Will it go on and how do I turn it off etc. Can I just leave it on ??

Thanks Don
Hopefully the engine's oil has been changed a few times (at least yearly) since 2006.

If it is the service reminder light that is on to extinguish this requires the use of a Porsche diagnostics computer which requires a visit to a shop -- dealer service or an indy -- that has one of these computers. Probably you will have to pay to have this light extinguished.

However, you might be able to use a Durametric but of course you'll have to research this to be sure it can do this for your car and then if it can do this of course buy one.

You can leave the light on I guess but then you lose the ability to be reminded when the next service is due. Ignoring proper servicing of these cars is not conducive to a long and trouble free experience.

If the light you refer to is the check engine light you should have the error codes associated with this read and then you can post these for comment.
Old 10-04-2015 | 02:35 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have reset the service reminders with my Durametric in friends' 997.1s... it takes all of three minutes. I have noted some have had trouble with this... I really don't know why, but they have. You can do this with the cheaper enthusiast cable, or, as some are claiming, a cheaper still simple icarsoft OBDII diagnostic tool can do it also... I think it is $100 cheaper but has far fewer capabilities (that you probably won't need if you are not going to diagnose and fix your car). I have no experience with iCarsoft but do own a Durametric.

Or you do what my friends do..... find a friend (me) and have them reset your reminder. Your local Porsche club can help, or just show up for a Porsche event or cars n coffee...... owners of these cables love to carry them around with them and show them off (ask me how I know!).

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-04-2015 | 03:57 PM
Don DeJ
Track Day

Still confused ? went on line it gave a simple way to reset oil change light , is that all I will have to do after I change the oil ??
Old 10-04-2015 | 04:44 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Still confused ? went on line it gave a simple way to reset oil change light , is that all I will have to do after I change the oil ??
What product did you look up?

This thread on the other side is pretty much an icarsoft sales pitch and a Durametric bashfest.... I don't get it as I don't think the two products can be compared. But, you can get a bit more information here on the icarsoft.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-icarsoft.html

In short, the message you get saying you need to service the car can be reset with Durametric. I did it to a variety of Porsche models... did a 2002 cab a few weeks ago.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-04-2015 | 05:16 PM
Don DeJ
Track Day

I have not done the oil change yet. I was reading up on it so that is why I asked the question. Went on line and googled oil change light and it said it could be done using the trip odometer I think. So I guess I'm asking if I do the oil change is there anything that I will have to do afterwards. In the write ups on Rennlist they don't mention anything about lights or service reminders they just go through the steps to change the oil. Thanks for your help Bruce.
Old 10-04-2015 | 05:29 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have not done the oil change yet. I was reading up on it so that is why I asked the question. Went on line and googled oil change light and it said it could be done using the trip odometer I think. So I guess I'm asking if I do the oil change is there anything that I will have to do afterwards. In the write ups on Rennlist they don't mention anything about lights or service reminders they just go through the steps to change the oil. Thanks for your help Bruce.
The car does not know if you changed the oil or anything else. The internal clock will continue.

Honestly, I don't know what the oil change light is.... maybe an older model from my 2009 997.2. On my model, I have a "wrench" icon and it serves two purposes: 1) service in X mls/days, and 2) service now. The Durametric will reset both of these and it restarts the "counter" from that reset point. Some may be calling this the oil change light? I believe this interval is based on oil changes and not anything else as oil is probably the most important service issue. Porsche has a bunch of intervals for services such as brake fluid, trans fluid, belt, etc etc. and I doubt the computer would pop on for these..... but maybe it will. For example, the belt is to be replaced at 60K intervals... so maybe if you changed the oil at 59K miles, reset the service reminder, it may then pop on again in 1K miles. I don't know if it works this way but I would not be surprised as Porsche wants you to freak out and call the dealer.

I suspect the computer tracks both time and miles as Porsche wants you to change oil within x period if you don't hit the miles first.

The issue you will face if you change your own oil, is that you will "get the wrench" and then you must reset it (you don't have to but it would annoy me looking at it). I don't know what would happen if you reset it before it showed... I suspect it will start the clock fresh.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 10-04-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2015 | 06:42 PM
Don DeJ
Track Day

Thanks Bruce, it makes sense now. I bought the car in Oct.'14 have put about 500 miles on it , a complete service plugs etc. was done about 6 months before that. So I'm going to change the oil tomorrow and everything should be fine. When the service light comes on in time I will decide what to do then. I have an indy that I used for my boxster so I guess he can reset everything for me. Thanks again, Don

Quick Reply: first oil change