Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY stone guard application: how to ruin your clear coat like a boss

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 10:31 AM
plc61
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Carmon Red on mine; haven't had any problems with the cc, but have not tried to remove the rock film- they are still fairly clear.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:26 PM
Gewgaw
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plc61
I've got the Carmon Red on mine; haven't had any problems with the cc, but have not tried to remove the rock film- they are still fairly clear.
Nice looking car you got there! Hopefully I can get mine back to that condition soon. I've decided to do a refinish/repaint/reclear. I figure a man isn't truly satisfied unless he has something to illogically dump money into. haha
Old 09-20-2015, 06:19 PM
plc61
Track Day

Originally Posted by Gewgaw
Nice looking car you got there! Hopefully I can get mine back to that condition soon. I've decided to do a refinish/repaint/reclear. I figure a man isn't truly satisfied unless he has something to illogically dump money into. haha
Thank you- I've only had it for a year, but love the car- it has been trouble free. I do have numerous rock dings on the front that I will take care of over the winter. I feel your pain on the clear coat issue, but think that you will end up with a beautiful car again once repaired. There aren't many of these around- after I saw a Cayman in this color, I decided to find a 911 in Carmon Red. it took awhile, and it was 1,000 miles away, but I'm really happy with it. Good luck with yours!
Old 09-20-2015, 07:31 PM
cutlass476
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

I have never done it myself, but I remeber guys on the 944 forum using an "eraser wheel" to remove ancient stone guards to great effect. No paint damage and it removes all of the old adhesive. You have to be cautious but they swore by it. i'm certain you could do a search for the thread. It will be over 10 years old.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:17 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I replaced my stone guards this past weekend and am just seeing this post now. I'm not sure I would have gone through with it myself had I seen this post first. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be to remove the old stone guard and my fingers are still raw. I went from clear to the black Speedster stone guards on my Atlas Grey.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Was just looking at my clear stone guards thinking it is time to replace and thinking of your disaster with removing them. I also had the thought if you did not want to respray your car if a paint shop could just repair and clear coat the area the stone guards were and put new stone guards over the repaired area.

Just saying

Paul
Old 09-26-2015, 03:48 PM
dasdman
Instructor

Ouch, that hurts. Can't imagine the anguish.

Originally Posted by 808997
I replaced my stone guards this past weekend and am just seeing this post now. I'm not sure I would have gone through with it myself had I seen this post first. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be to remove the old stone guard and my fingers are still raw. I went from clear to the black Speedster stone guards on my Atlas Grey.
Would you mind posting a picture? I have been thinking about this on my Meteor Grey. Although I am scared now
Old 10-17-2015, 09:11 PM
remik
Cruisin'

Sorry that happened. After many years, I finally replaced my original nasty yellowing rock guards on a 2008 white 997. I'm slapping myself for not doing this DIY earlier. I bought a 12"x24" roll of clear Suntek wrap online for $15. I removed the original decals with my mom's little garment steamer. Each one came off perfectly under 5 minutes with no glue residue; I saw a youtube video of a guy doing it with a cayman -- so easy and clean just like the video. After cleaning and clay-bar, I made a rough template on the fender, and then made a re-usable paper template for each 12"x12" section. Images attached show making the template, the final cut vinyl piece using scissors, and in action. It's a little shorter than the original, but they didn't have any marks that high anyway.
Attached Images    
Old 10-17-2015, 10:09 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 365 Posts

I've replaced the stone guards on two different 911s (Arctic silver and basalt black) with no issues.. Heat gun and off they come. I bet the OP had prior paint issues as the reason why the clear came off..
Old 11-24-2015, 06:08 PM
Gewgaw
Advanced

Update: finally got the panels repainted and the car re-detailed, and now I'm back to square 1... more than a few dollars down the tube.

Here she is, fresh off the detail:

Again, special thanks to my detailer, Daniel at Private Collection Auto Care... he always knocks it out of the park!

SO... now the question is... do I put stone guards back on?!?! hahaha
Old 11-24-2015, 06:10 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

Looks great. Unless you want rock chips where the stone guards used to be, yes, you should put some new stone guards back on. Next time you go to remove them, use some gentle heat from a heat gun, although they should last you another 8-10 years so maybe it won't be your concern next time.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:11 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Looks great. Unless you want rock chips where the stone guards used to be, yes, you should put some new stone guards back on. Next time you go to remove them, use some gentle heat from a heat gun, although they should last you another 8-10 years so maybe it won't be your concern next time.
Not a heat gun. Patient steam application and slow removal.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:46 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbst09
There are other options besides the magnetic stone guards in black. I changed my stone guards myself but instead of using the Porsche replacement stone guards I had my clear bra guy cut some out of the clear bra material. He had the template in a computer already and they came out exactly the same size. I chose to use the clear bra material because the factory stone guards have a tendency to yellow. The material is slightly thinner but if its good enough to protect the front of the car I figure it's good enough to protect the quarter-panel. Check the forum for black stone guards, some folks have had matte-black wrap material used with good success. Any local clear bra place should be able to make you up a set very easily. Certainly an option versus re-spraying that section of the car...
Holding up well? Yellowing?

Originally Posted by remik
Sorry that happened. After many years, I finally replaced my original nasty yellowing rock guards on a 2008 white 997. I'm slapping myself for not doing this DIY earlier. I bought a 12"x24" roll of clear Suntek wrap online for $15. I removed the original decals with my mom's little garment steamer. Each one came off perfectly under 5 minutes with no glue residue; I saw a youtube video of a guy doing it with a cayman -- so easy and clean just like the video. After cleaning and clay-bar, I made a rough template on the fender, and then made a re-usable paper template for each 12"x12" section. Images attached show making the template, the final cut vinyl piece using scissors, and in action. It's a little shorter than the original, but they didn't have any marks that high anyway.
How have they held up? Are they still clear or are they yellowing?
Old 02-07-2017, 03:22 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 908 Posts

This reminds me of a story:

A guy who showed up to work on Monday with bandages on both of his ears. His boss asked him what happened. He said he was minding his own business, drinking a beer and watching the game while his wife ironed clothes nearby. The phone rang and without taking his eyes off the TV he reached for it. Once he held it to his ear, he realized he that he had grabbed the hot iron instead.

That's terrible, said his boss. But what happened to the other ear? Wadda you know, the same guy called back ten minutes later.

Seeing that you tried to take the other side off made me think of that. I'm glad it worked out though.

I just had my hood and front fenders XPEL wrapped. When it came to the rear fenders, I had them remove the stock guard and put XPEL up higher, following the lines of the fender. I had it on the lift ther other day, and I realized that they also did the backside of the fender. I don't know if that gets chipped, but I guess it was in the template.

Last edited by MaddMike; 02-07-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:11 PM
Coolwnc
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Gewgaw
I thought about getting those magnetic black stone guards... but then with my luck, who knows how much worse it would get with moisture getting in under the open clear coat.
FYI- I switched to the black magnetic stone guards and I love it! People stop and ask me where did I get them. Easy to remove, clean the car and put back on.

Quick Reply: DIY stone guard application: how to ruin your clear coat like a boss