Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY stone guard application: how to ruin your clear coat like a boss

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015 | 08:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Are you 100% sure it lifted the clear? When I removed and replaced the ones on my wife's car, it looked just like that, but was the adhesive from the back of the plastic that stayed on the car and came off of the plastic guard. Get some Goo-Gone and see if it cleans up - I don't think you can make it any worse. If it's adhesive and you get it cleaned up, make sure you clean the paint with alcohol or something before applying the new stone guards. Black stone guards would be the other way to go.

The OEM ones on my other car have yellowed, but I'm thinking of masking them off and going the black plasti-dip spray route instead.

Last edited by Petza914; 09-18-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-18-2015 | 10:48 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

I waited too long to replace mine, they were cloudy and cracked. The dealer and a body shop I trust both said no way they'll come off without taking some clear coat with 'em. So I took it to a place that does film wraps (I mean, they are awesome at it). Even they couldn't get the old ones off without a bit of clear coat damage. But my car is black and just by sheer luck the gloss-black film they had was almost an exact match. So I had them apply a set of those, and then a set of 3M clear to go over them, as the clear made the color match even better, and is stronger. You honestly can't tell it's not clear guards over paint.
Old 09-18-2015 | 11:50 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Yes you are an idiot.
Welcome to the club.
I am not only a member,
butt the president.
Old 09-18-2015 | 11:57 AM
mpath
Racer

Ouch! Sorry to see that. I can empathize...there's been many a time when my DIY jobs left me sitting on the ground just cursing myself of what I'd done.

For stone guards I bought magnetic ones for MagnaGrafik. First application I used a blow dryer to get the curves just right. Now after every washing, I just peel them off, clean them, and reposition it back on.
Old 09-18-2015 | 12:09 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gewgaw
THAT'S THE PREVIOUS OWNER OF THIS EXACT CAR! Maybe the paint on this car was not done right?!?!?
How are people not responding to this one post???

This is clearly an issue with the paint on this car.

That is incredible and amazing resource to have the forum to track that down...

I would look into the history of the paint and see if this was either A) a repaint that noone caught or B) some defect in the OEM paint.
Old 09-18-2015 | 12:59 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Paint defect or not it is what it is right now for the poor fella. There's been really good repair ideas in this thread !
Old 09-18-2015 | 01:11 PM
Gewgaw
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
Are you 100% sure it lifted the clear?
Unfortunately, it really is the clear coat that got stripped off... the level is lower inside the ripped portion, and the body shop guys confirmed. And there is a slightly pinkish layer of clear coat on the stone guard adhesive side. If only it was just adhesive...

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Yes you are an idiot.
Welcome to the club.
I am not only a member,
butt the president.
I want a membership card! haha

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
How are people not responding to this one post???

This is clearly an issue with the paint on this car.

That is incredible and amazing resource to have the forum to track that down...

I would look into the history of the paint and see if this was either A) a repaint that noone caught or B) some defect in the OEM paint.
I am flabbergasted that someone tracked my exact car down! The body shop guys took a paint meter to the car, and the areas right around the stone guard damage registered around a 2.5-3.5, which they say indicates factory paint. They measured a known repainted area and it was over 5-5.5. I'm leaning towards defect in OEM paint/clear coat. Maybe this is just one of those colors that has problems...

Last edited by Gewgaw; 09-18-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-18-2015 | 01:51 PM
Thedips
Racer

Ouch man I feel your pain! And I guess on the flip side thank god my car is yellow... And I welcome the yellowing :T
Old 09-18-2015 | 02:58 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately, it really is the clear coat that got stripped off... the level is lower inside the ripped portion, and the body shop guys confirmed. And there is a slightly pinkish layer of clear coat on the stone guard adhesive side. If only it was just adhesive...

I want a membership card! haha

I am flabbergasted that someone tracked my exact car down! The body shop guys took a paint meter to the car, and the areas right around the stone guard damage registered around a 2.5-3.5, which they say indicates factory paint. They measured a known repainted area and it was over 5-5.5. I'm leaning towards defect in OEM paint/clear coat. Maybe this is just one of those colors that has problems...
If you find out factory paint and if defective, you should push to get costs taken care of, regardless of warranty.

Best of luck... it actually sounds like this may not be your fault after all...
Old 09-18-2015 | 03:42 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

first thing I want to know is; whats the stuff you had done to they car, sounds like something the waxers did preped the paint for failure
Old 09-18-2015 | 04:17 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

I was going to replace my yellowing stone guards but now I'm having second thoughts.
Old 09-18-2015 | 05:11 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

I am flabbergasted that someone tracked my exact car down! ...
I remembered the post from the prior owner because he had the car for sale here and briefly thought about contacting him because it was before I bought my car, glad I could help (well, kinda help).

Carmon Red is a very pretty color!
Old 09-18-2015 | 06:43 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

So, I've had new stone guards sitting on the table for a week. I saw your post today, it scared the crap out of me. Bad luck... As for the idiot club. Welcome! I too am a member.

I threw caution to the wind and replaced them this evening. Hair dryer to soften, and pulled parallel to the panel. No residue. No, paint damage. Stone guards were exactly 5 years old.

Last edited by JAGMAN1; 09-19-2015 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-18-2015 | 08:53 PM
ramman5600
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JAGMAN1
So, I've had new stone guards sitting on the table for a week. I saw your post today, it scared the crap out of me. Bad luck... As for the idiot club. Welcome! I too am a member.

I through caution to the wind and replaced them this evening. Hair dryer to soften, and pulled parallel to the panel. No residue. No, paint damage. Stone guards were exactly 5 years old.

I didn't have the cLear coat issue but mine were yellow so I just went the speedster look.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/55903500.html

-c
Old 09-18-2015 | 10:29 PM
makemann
Racer

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
I was going to replace my yellowing stone guards but now I'm having second thoughts.
I had the yellowed guards replaced on my Carrara White 997.2 at a Porsche certified paint shop for $149. It was worth every dime.

Quick Reply: DIY stone guard application: how to ruin your clear coat like a boss