Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ranking of "necessary" 997.1 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:53 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do nothing else, do the lowering springs IMHO. This is a must. The car looks so much better with the right stance. Once you get accustomed to the lowered car, a 911 in a stock stance looks like a Cayenne.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:15 PM
Carrera997re
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ranking of "necessary" 997.1 upgrades

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
I have a bunch of mods on my C2S

The TPC DSC feels like a must.
Fister sport mufflers also a must.
Spacers, subtle but really look nice.

Numeric ssk is nice but not a must.
Headers, xpipe, highflow cats make the car loud and manly sounding, but not MUST haves.

GT3 throttle body, IPD plenum & CA intake, nice to have, not "need to have"

Tune, I would say is great. I love mine (protomotive) but kind of needs the exhaust and intake are musts to get value out of the tune.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a real treat. I wouldn't say they're a must, but definitely worth trying if you haven't.

Nice tips look great but are not a must. I love the AWE black chrome ones, but have NHP chrome ones on mine. Look the same but not as easy to keep clean as black ones.

I also have sway bars front and rear (eibach) and Bilstein B16's (pasm flavor) coilovers - awesome but also not "must haves"

I agree about the re-wrapped fatter steering wheel, would love one for my car, but not a strictly "must"'have item.

Also, big musts depend on the user. I think track time, track days, and more DE is always a must. The more time you spend learning to drive better the more you realize your car is already built with plenty of stuff to keep you smiling for many years to come, and you will learn what "sport" mods really are important to you.

- dan
Do you need a tune with the GT throttle and the ipd plenum?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:37 AM
jc9elfer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DC911S
Here is what I've done....so far

1. XM radio added (I installed..not hard..but I hate optical connectors)
2. Dansk mufflers (dealer installed)
3. BMC air filter (I installed...easy, a monkey can do it)
4. FVD tune ( I installed...easy, need laptop and battery charger)
5. GT3 Throttle body (I installed..easy, goes right on but the intake tube from the airbox to the TB fights you all the way)
6. IDP competition plenum (I installed...not hard but bloodied fingers from all those sharp edges in small spaces)
7. Numeric short shifter (really nice! I installed....not hard, damm shift boot came apart and it pissed me off)

This week...
FVD high flow cats, then run hard to get ECU to adapt. (Need a lift...dealer)
Numeric shift cables, as I worry too much about snapped OEM shifter cables. (need a lift..delaer)

The first owner added BT, some old Parrot device that works fine but does not stream music nor show the phone list on my OEM Nav screen. But it does voice dial and recognition so I just give it a name to call and Siri does the rest.

I'm not one to get purely cosmetic mods like lights and things, but I'm fine with others doing them. Its your car, do what you like.

I like your mods...we must be getting the same advice...
My list:
tubi style Exhaust
FVD Headers
IPD Plenum with GT3 throttle body
FVD My Genius ECU Flash
O.Z. Ultraleggera 20's
Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:27 AM
phrogpilot
Intermediate

I have a 2008 C4S which I bought last year with 49,000 miles. I wasn't all that happy with the stock setup at the track. I do 10 DE events a year and wanted a better performing car while still being able to drive it to work in the summer.

The first things I did to the car was safety, replica GT3 seats (OEM is $18K a set, I paid $1,800 and they are terrific, but you do lose the seat mounted airbag on the side), 6 point harnesses and a cage. While the seats are a must in my opinion if your track dedicated, I was completely surprised by how much I like them on the street. I kept the OE seat belts for street use, and aside from being a little more cumbersome to get in and out of, the connection you have with the car is worth it. They make the original sports seats feel like they came out of a Buick.

I installed GT3 shift cables, which are a vast!! Improvement over stock and something I highly recommend.

I installed X-pipes and removed the cats altogether (no emissions testing in MN), chipped the engine and put in a high flow air filter. Besides picking up about 35-40 horsepower, the engine response has been transformed.

I was told one of the most best upgrades you can make is installing ceramic engine mounts, which stiffened the car tremendously, particular at high loads in a turn. A no brainier.

Next I put in GT3 control arms and sway bars front and rear with drop links. Again street or track a great improvement. I coupled this with lowering springs.

For about 20k I vastly improved the performance of this car without changing its appearance (save again for the cage and seats). Even if I didn't track the car, I would have done these mods in retrospect. The car is faster and far more responsive, it has a taught edginess I like. Tires are important, I like PSS myself. Only downside to what I've done Is it is very loud for the street. I don't care but my wife isn't thrilled.

Good luck.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:53 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,487 Likes on 4,129 Posts

Originally Posted by phrogpilot
I have a 2008 C4S which I bought last year with 49,000 miles. I wasn't all that happy with the stock setup at the track. I do 10 DE events a year and wanted a better performing car while still being able to drive it to work in the summer.

The first things I did to the car was safety, replica GT3 seats (OEM is $18K a set, I paid $1,800 and they are terrific, but you do lose the seat mounted airbag on the side), 6 point harnesses and a cage. While the seats are a must in my opinion if your track dedicated, I was completely surprised by how much I like them on the street. I kept the OE seat belts for street use, and aside from being a little more cumbersome to get in and out of, the connection you have with the car is worth it. They make the original sports seats feel like they came out of a Buick.

I installed GT3 shift cables, which are a vast!! Improvement over stock and something I highly recommend.

I installed X-pipes and removed the cats altogether (no emissions testing in MN), chipped the engine and put in a high flow air filter. Besides picking up about 35-40 horsepower, the engine response has been transformed.

I was told one of the most best upgrades you can make is installing ceramic engine mounts, which stiffened the car tremendously, particular at high loads in a turn. A no brainier.

Next I put in GT3 control arms and sway bars front and rear with drop links. Again street or track a great improvement. I coupled this with lowering springs.

For about 20k I vastly improved the performance of this car without changing its appearance (save again for the cage and seats). Even if I didn't track the car, I would have done these mods in retrospect. The car is faster and far more responsive, it has a taught edginess I like. Tires are important, I like PSS myself. Only downside to what I've done Is it is very loud for the street. I don't care but my wife isn't thrilled.

Good luck.
+1

I don't currently track my car and still did all of these upgrades because it makes it drive so much better on the street and in the mountains. Other than the slightly bumpier / taughter ride on rippled or bad pavement, there isn't a downside, except for cost. If you turn your cars over frequently, then it's a lot of work and expense just to have to remove them, but if you wait to buy the "right" car and keep them for a long time, then these changes (and others) only enhance the time you get to spend in the car.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:30 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

great thread for a new guy like me. Thanks
Old 02-19-2016, 12:37 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

I only want to know about the old grey frog now.....
Old 02-19-2016, 12:59 AM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Tranzit Blu
2. Short throw shifter
3. Rennline pedals
4. Clear bra
5. Dumping soft-touch paint pieces on cockpit
6. Replacing the Lobster wheels
7. Painted Hardback sport seats
8. Expensive but nice: X-51 kit
9. Custom Thicker steering wheel
Old 02-19-2016, 12:12 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with being a BMW guy... that was a JOKE... but Bimmers do need more NECESSARY mods to meet their performance image and mission that a 997 C4S... that was my point.
Depends on the Bimmer.

E36 318ti? ... Damn thing doesn't even have ventilated brake rotors on the front axle!

E92 M3? ... Who am I kidding, it needs an intake/exhaust/tune, too!

I've never left anything I own completely stock. If I had bought an F360 or a Gallardo, or a GT3 (damn you, student loans! ), I would have probably done those mods as well.

If you asked me why I would spend the money on them, I would just reply that I was the kind of boy that enjoyed spending a week building up Revell Level 3 warbird model kits with battle damage, theater-correct camouflage, and markings.

Some people just like to tinker and customize things, and German accountants like to undo the work of German engineers. Simple!
Old 02-19-2016, 01:18 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like my exterior modern look.

Got Dectane LED rears

Rotec LED fogs

Modding is obviously a personal choice. There is no right or wrong, what's necessary or not.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:05 PM
braymond52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ben Z
The only necessary addition to my '05 is some kind of handsfree for the phone, as the car is a manual. I used a Jabra visor-mount for a long time because I was off put by the cost+installation and reported glitches with the aftermarket units from Dension, Mobridge and NAV-TV/Tooki. Finally I got the iSimple Tranzit-Blu HF bluetooth because it did what I need flawlessly and cost a fraction of the others.

Otherwise I can't think of any mods I want to do, it's perfect just like it is. Will save my time and money for upkeep. Bought a new set of OEM mats on sale from Suncoast. Just re-dyed the shifter and e-brake leather. Next project is Dr. Colorchip for a few nicks here and there.

Admittedly I like my cars bone stock. The only cosmetic mod I would consider would be something stock Porsche like clear side markers, but I really can't say I dislike the orange ones, or notice that much of a visual improvement on cars I've seen with the clear ones.
+1 on the iSimple Tranzit-Blu HF Bluetooth for exactly the same reasons...
Old 02-19-2016, 04:54 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by braymond52
+1 on the iSimple Tranzit-Blu HF Bluetooth for exactly the same reasons...
Everybody talks about the Tranzit unit. Is there a thread dedicated to that topic? Would love to learn more.

Tia
Old 02-20-2016, 01:48 AM
drockzcity
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
Everybody talks about the Tranzit unit. Is there a thread dedicated to that topic? Would love to learn more.

Tia
There is a thread. Just do a quick search and you'll find it. I just did the install myself as well. Tranzit is for sure best bang for your buck and quality is quit nice with BOSE.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:29 PM
Feelgood MD
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phrogpilot
Where did you get high quality replica seats?? I'm always skeptical of "replica" anything (from Ebay or China or whatever). I'd love GT3 seats with harness pass-throughs so I can install a harness bar for track days, but as you mentioned, the cost of OEM GT3 seats is prohibitive. I'd much rather keep an OEM look (rather than installing Recaros or something) so I would consider replica seats as long as they're high quality and safe...basically I'd like the Dectane LED tail light version of replica GT3 seats!

It's my understanding that a 4 point harness isn't recommended with the OEM Adaptive Sport Seats so I'm currently investigating seat options...the funny thing is, I'm also investigating Bluetooth options which is what led me to this thread! (TranzIt vs Dension vs Mobridge, etc)
Old 05-08-2016, 10:50 PM
Constant.
5th Gear

IMO:
1. Intake
2. Shifter
3. Motor Mounts
4. Exhaust

Intake above all transforms the car.

Quick Reply: Ranking of "necessary" 997.1 upgrades