Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know this has been beat to death but can we talk about Jack Stands?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 11:04 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I know this has been beat to death but can we talk about Jack Stands?

I changed the oil on my wife's car today and decided I need to get rid of the Rhio-ramp knock-offs I've been using for years. I want to get some good quality Jack-stands and a Jack that I can trust. Bonus would be jack stands that accept different 'plates' like the Jack-Point stands have (without the cost.)

Thoughts?
Old 08-30-2015, 11:28 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Regarding Jacks I can highly recommend the Arcan 3 Tonne Aluminum Jack. I have used it on both the Cayenne and 911. On the Cayenne I have actually used it a huge number of times (suspension work, rotors, brakes etc). It is also low profile enough to easily work with the 911.
It has been excellent, and is rated very highly in the review also.

I have been using Craftsman 4 Tonne JackStands, but jacking up the 911 is actually a real PITA compared to the Cayenne. I think Jackpoint is the way to go. Or even better - a lift
Old 08-31-2015, 12:27 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:16 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:36 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Buy once, buy right, last a lifetime....

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...scription=Jack

ESCO jack stands any AC jacks.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:08 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,454 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Jackpoint hands-down. I have 4 Jackpoints and 4 Escos and for ease of use and functionality, there's no comparison; Jackpoints are the best. Yes they're expensive, but you're working on a Porsche.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:47 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Jackpoint hands-down. I have 4 Jackpoints and 4 Escos and for ease of use and functionality, there's no comparison; Jackpoints are the best. Yes they're expensive, but you're working on a Porsche.
+1 for Jack Point Stands, they are awesome. You only need a pair to do the majority of DIY work so you can save some money. What makes them so great is the time savings and safety - you jack once and end up with the stand at the jack point where it's supposed to be. The odd times I need four stands I used a pair of regular ones up front and the jack points in the rear (lift the rear and entire side goes up).

You can save some money on a jack though since you will never work under a car while on a jack only, that's just stupid. Look at harbor freight or sears for hydraulic low profile ones. The jack only lifts the car. Spend the money on the stands for ease of use and safety.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:28 PM
patriot993
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
+1 for Jack Point Stands, they are awesome. You only need a pair to do the majority of DIY work so you can save some money. What makes them so great is the time savings and safety - you jack once and end up with the stand at the jack point where it's supposed to be. The odd times I need four stands I used a pair of regular ones up front and the jack points in the rear (lift the rear and entire side goes up).

You can save some money on a jack though since you will never work under a car while on a jack only, that's just stupid. Look at harbor freight or sears for hydraulic low profile ones. The jack only lifts the car. Spend the money on the stands for ease of use and safety.
+1 for Semicycler's post - my opinion best way to go is with Jack Point stands. Get the 3 ton jack low profile at harbor freight on sale for about $80
Old 08-31-2015, 12:31 PM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 for the Jack Point Stands. Hard to imagine any other stands being safer.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:56 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for jackpoint the best for modern cars with specific jacking spots.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:37 PM
2fnquik
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

ESCO +1
Old 08-31-2015, 11:31 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

JACKPOINT +2, but both are good stands.

So many uses...last 2 pics shows Jackpoints and ESCO's being employed together and getting along famously

The real benefit of the Jackpoints, as others have said, is being able to both jack and support the car on stands from the same point. Also, ESCO's at their howest point are quite tall so make sure you have a jack that will go a couple inches higher than the height at which you plan to use them.
Attached Images     
Old 08-31-2015, 11:53 PM
BSU
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go all in

http://www.quickjack.com/products/bl...-capacity.html

Name:  IMG_3715b_zpsehlkaog4.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  249.9 KB
Old 09-01-2015, 12:02 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts
Default I know this has been beat to death but can we talk about Jack Stands?

On the jackpoint stands - every guide I've read advises jacking/lifting from the rear points and not the front. If you only need to lift the front of the car (say to remove front wheels to change pads) is it safe to jack the front onto the jackpoint stands? Or should you only ever rest a car with all four corners on a jack?
Old 09-01-2015, 12:19 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
On the jackpoint stands - every guide I've read advises jacking/lifting from the rear points and not the front. If you only need to lift the front of the car (say to remove front wheels to change pads) is it safe to jack the front onto the jackpoint stands? Or should you only ever rest a car with all four corners on a jack?
I'm pretty sure I've lifted just the front a time or two. I believe the convern is that the front of the car is so light that an angle could cause the jack stands to slide out.

I actually use these Rennline locking jack plates whenver I lift my 997s.

http://www.rennline.com/Jack-Plate-L...oductinfo/T02/

The top oval is just a bit smaller than the oval in the car - you slip it in and turn it 90 degrees and the bottom circumference is actually the exact size to fit into the recess of the Jackpoint flat top plate. Jackpoint has their own solution for this with a pin that goes into the oval, but I like this one better as it doesn't allow for any movement.

The other thing you can do if only working on the front wheels is back the car onto Rhino Ramps, then jack up the fronts, and it makes the car sit flat so you don't worry about the angle trying to slide the stands out. Since the back wheels are on the ramps, setting the parking brake and leaving the transmission in gear will prevent any rolling.

Last edited by Petza914; 09-02-2015 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:26 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I actually use these Rennline locking jack plates whenver I lift my 997s.

http://www.rennline.com/Jack-Plate-L...oductinfo/T02/

The top oval is just a bit smaller than the oval in the car - you slip it in and turn it 90 degrees and the bottom circumference is actually the exact size to fit into the recess of the Jackpoint flat top plate. Jackpoint has their own solution for this with a pin that goes into the oval.
Petza, thanks so much for the recommendation on these jack plates. I am about to buy two. They're nicer than the Pelican ones and half the price. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: I know this has been beat to death but can we talk about Jack Stands?