Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know this has been beat to death but can we talk about Jack Stands?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015 | 01:25 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

BSU-

I was looking at the quickjack but it looked like the jackpads didn't reach the car's jacking mounts. So where do the jack pads contact the car?

Thanks
Old 09-01-2015 | 04:31 PM
Minok
Drifting

Old 09-02-2015 | 12:09 AM
Aolszowy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BSU
How do you like this option? Pros? Cons?
Old 09-02-2015 | 01:12 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aolszowy
Do the pads on the lift reach the mounts on the car? Is that the 5000 lb. model?
Old 09-03-2015 | 10:10 AM
JayRace
Racer

Originally Posted by sullivas
Do the pads on the lift reach the mounts on the car? Is that the 5000 lb. model?
I'm interested in finding this out as well. Also, what do you do with it when not in use? How easy is it to move?
Old 09-03-2015 | 11:01 AM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

I am very interested in this as well. Did you get the 5000XL model?
Old 09-03-2015 | 11:29 PM
BSU
Advanced

BSU-

I was looking at the quickjack but it looked like the jackpads didn't reach the car's jacking mounts. So where do the jack pads contact the car?

Thanks
Originally Posted by Aolszowy
Originally Posted by JayRace
I'm interested in finding this out as well. Also, what do you do with it when not in use? How easy is it to move?
Originally Posted by mike9186
I am very interested in this as well. Did you get the 5000XL model?
Sorry for the delay guys. Yes, it is the 5000XL model. The 3500 and 5000 were not long enough to reach the 911 lifting points. The 5000XL is longer and works well.

I really like it. I leave the platforms hooked up at all times and just push them in together under the car in the garage when not in use. I can pull out and in, straddling them with the car with no problem. When I need them I just pull them out into position and press the up button, set the security bar and am good to go. Pretty easy.

I would point out that although they describe them a portable, they are not light. You can move them around, but I wouldn't consider them "grab and go". Still, you could take them to the track easy enough if you take the car on a trailer.
Old 09-06-2015 | 10:31 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Thanks BSU!
Old 09-14-2015 | 05:03 PM
BPK
1st Gear

Old friend stopped by. Not a geek so he wanted to help post his story - verbatim.

I'm a Porsche Guy- through and through.. I ownthem, build them, race them, export Vintage pieces abroad-n also I Manufacture and sell Vintage Repro 911 Restoration Parts made in Germany... My good friend and Master Builder Mark Allen of Vintage Excellence in Vista California and Marc Zurlinden of Zurlinden Design Monterey Calif and I have set records and raised the benchmark relative to our restorations and price points across the board because of the quality of product we produce.. (I say this asfact- no ego involved whatsoever)..

BendPak/Ranger lifts are in the shop(s).. 2-post(XPR-10)'s and the HD9 ST (4-Post )Narrow is in my home garage, have proventhemselves to be nothing short of AWSOME failsafe machines since purchase...

Late last year, I drove down to BendPak/RangerHQ in Santa Paula to speak to Jeff Kritzer (Senior VP Sales and Marketing)relative to some installation Q's for the HD9ST 4-post I was doing at home- wegot to talking cars- Porsches specifically... Jeff is an avid Porsche fan andhas a couple "Toyz" stashed himself as well, so he senses the oftenu nique needs of the individual- and he waved me over to his office and showed me a brand new innovation that promised to revolutionize the Race Mechanic atTrack/ Home mechanic that had limited space/ or even the Shop which already had Solid Mounted lifts throughout -but would perhaps need extra lift capabilityfor "Quick suspension Mods/ Brake replacement/ Rack&Pinion work/ Tyrereplacement or almost anything else mechanically requiring the mechanic beingunder the machine done out in the "lot"...

As a matter of note- we have 3 bays at Silverlake Auto that are CONSTANTLY full and often need to do an outboard jobon the pavement, using floor-jacks and jack stands.. Once again, the engineers at BendPak have provided a multi function solution for those "Portable lift Needs" Ala "QUICK JACK"...

Jeff briefly explained the ease of use andthe sheer portability of "QUICK JACK" and I saw its immediate viability across the board.....I looked over the brochure on my way home andr eally became excited to try it out... Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) - I was to be in Europe the next week for a month and a half - so I shelved things till I returned...

Last week finally, I drove down to BendPak withmy 77 Carrera 3.0 to meet with Jeff and his crew to learn more... Needless to say I came home with one.. The set-up is done in a matter of minutes and safelysupports up to 5000 lbs of Race car/Civilian car 20 inches off the ground!!! The thing is BITCHEN ! Throw it into the back of the pickup truck and with the car behind on the flatbed- off to the Race Track!!! Bring the "rig" home- set Quick Jack up in the driveway or outside thegarage- and I'm ready for action ! Truly a Bad *** invention...

I have a booth at Rennsport V (MazdaRaceway/Laguna Seca) under "ZURLINDEN" (#40) and will have"Quick Jack" on display for those who wish to see it in action !!- One problem- once you see it- you'll haveto have it....( Flowers for the wife and a nice drive to "WineCountry" with her usually smooth things like this purchase out.... See you up there! Jonathan Sieger

Meeting Jeff Kritzer from BendPak

Last edited by BPK; 09-14-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2015 | 10:29 PM
remik
Cruisin'

I recently got the 5000xl for my 2008 997 due to the wide jack points and it works. It comes with two block heights and I use the taller of the two to get around 22" of lift as the manual states. After the first time, I marked where to place the blocks and its quite fast to setup and lift later. Each frame is probably 80-100 lbs each, but have two wheels on one end, so you can maneuver it around like a hand-truck if moving it longer distances. I read this thread when researching it and it helped me decide on the purchase. So far there have been no issues or leaks. You will have to buy 2 quarts of trans fluid.
Old 12-06-2015 | 05:19 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

This is from the Pelican book. Has anyone used this area (yellow arrow) to lift there 997?

I am doing rotors and brakes and need to get the car up on my 6 ton jack stands.
Old 12-06-2015 | 07:16 PM
der Geist
Instructor

+1 on the quickjack. You need the 5000XL to get the length for the 911 but for getting the car in the air safely nothing is easier. I store my quickjack under the car as well. The other day I put spacers on all 4 wheels. Just pulled it out, pushed a button and started working. Yesterday I put new brake pads on the Touareg and I was reminded just how much I hate jacking a car and jackstands.
Old 12-06-2015 | 08:52 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Can you lift your car off the ground using regular jack stands or do you have to use jackpoints or esco stands?
Old 12-06-2015 | 09:04 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
Can you lift your car off the ground using regular jack stands or do you have to use jackpoints or esco stands?
Search for an old post by Edgy01 on how to jack up a 911.
Old 12-06-2015 | 09:32 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

He used escos, can regular jack stands be used?

Quick Reply: I know this has been beat to death but can we talk about Jack Stands?