Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TAG Tracking Systems (Is Big Brother watching?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardB
The insurance company is Aviva. Forgot to mention that TAG Tracking is a Canadian company: http://tagtracking.ca

As someone mentioned I suspect any insurance company can get hold of tracking data one way or another.
True, but a lawyer may be able to make that data inadmissible in court if it's not their data that you agree to.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:51 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I've never come across this but my cars have all be insured by Geico and they have never mentioned this item.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:26 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default TAG Tracking Systems (Is Big Brother watching?)

Also a blurb in Panorama with some of those devices causing harm to the electronics on the car. I would say F off and get someone else ASAP.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardB
The insurance company is Aviva. Forgot to mention that TAG Tracking is a Canadian company: http://tagtracking.ca

As someone mentioned I suspect any insurance company can get hold of tracking data one way or another.
With the insurance companies I was involved with they specifically didn't want any location data, so the GPS feature was removed.

They were after driving behavior to arrive at a "score" that would be used to perhaps justify an insurance premium discount.

Tag Tracking appears to offer stolen vehicle recovery service which requires location tracking to know where the vehicle is and without authorization.

The tracking info could only be used in the event the car is reported stolen and only enough to locate the car and recover the car.

One has to read the "fine print" I guess to know if this tracking info could be used/shared at other times.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 820 Posts

No GPS, so 70 in a school zone is the same as 70 on a freeway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere (forgive me, I don't remember where) that they are using two derivatives ...

The derivative of speed with respect to time, or if you prefer, acceleration and deceleration.

The derivative of acceleration (or deceleration) with respect to time, also known as jerk.

This gives an idea of how smoothly you are driving, and how well you are gauging near future events.

That said, if they catch you at 135 mph ...

I like the "damage to your car's electronics" as a simple explanation for saying no should the companies decide to push this technology further.

Quick Reply: TAG Tracking Systems (Is Big Brother watching?)