Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Side Light/Markers

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015 | 05:01 PM
swporsche
Advanced

Default Front Side Light/Markers

I'm thinking about changing my Amber side lights on my 2008 997.1 from Amber to clear. This my sound like a stupid question but, it they are changed to clear would I also change the bulb/light to Amber? Thanks I advance
Old 08-07-2015 | 05:03 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Check your local laws regarding signal light color.

Most states require amber or red (for the rear of the vehicle), if I recall.
Old 08-07-2015 | 05:08 PM
swporsche
Advanced

These would be the front markers/side lights.
Old 08-07-2015 | 05:16 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Sylvania makes silver-tinted bulbs that blink amber.

Amazon.com: Sylvania 1157A ST  BP SilverStar 27-Watt High Performance Signal Light: Automotive Amazon.com: Sylvania 1157A ST BP SilverStar 27-Watt High Performance Signal Light: Automotive

But the short answer is yes. I don't think the PO changed the color of the bulb when he did the clear corner lights on my car. They aren't tinted and blink white. Haven't been pulled over for it, so I haven't changed them.
Old 08-07-2015 | 06:26 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

You have to have amber because of federal DOT regulations. But Ive had clear on every car since the 80s and no bodys ever said anything about it. ( I dont care about DOT laws, they never did anything for me) Most clear lenses come with a clear bulb (the ones I buy on ebay) because, if you have a clear lens, the yellow bulb shows thru, right, so you still have a yellow sidemarker. So they give you a clear bulb so now its CLEAR. You could leave it like that. The better answer is to get chrome bulbs that are yellow bulbs with chrome coating, when the are off they look clearer, not yellow. When they are on they go yellow. they emit yellow thru the chrome.
The best answer is to get LEDs. which are light colored, dont show thru the lens much. But the light when on is xenon white, blueish like the xenon headlight. Now you have more color matched lighting.
thats the goal, to have all the light bulbs emit the same color light.
Old 08-07-2015 | 10:50 PM
Psymon
Racer

If you go with the LED versions, there are at least 2-3 options out there:

1) clear lens, LED bulb blinks in amber

2) clear lens, LED bulb blinks in white

And here's is another design available (more suitable for black cars)

If you go with the normal non-LED one (OEM I believe), you can change the bulb color to whatever you want (i.e.: silver coating bulb but blinks in amber)
Old 08-07-2015 | 11:04 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Psymon
If you go with the LED versions, there are at least 2-3 options out there:

And also these from ECS. I think they look pretty good, as the LED segments complement those in the 997.2 front DRLs and also the tail lights. But they're a tiny bit thicker, and therefore stick out a little more.

I just installed mine, and I like them because of the added visibility they offer. They're really much brighter than the stock markers. They make a full and bright line of yellow lights, along the length of the whole marker, when indicating. Some other options are bright at the source, but fade out down the length of the markers.

I think the stock clears are a little more discreet, though. Right now, I'm going with them for function. I do like the way these look, though I don't absolutely love them.

Last edited by Ten Years; 08-07-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2015 | 11:12 PM
Psymon
Racer

Cool. Never seen this before. Do you think this is thick enough to cars with the front fender flare?

Originally Posted by Ten Years
And also these from ECS. I think they look pretty good, as the LED segements complement those in the 997.2 front DRLs and also the tail lights. ...
Old 08-07-2015 | 11:12 PM
MFank
Rennlist Member

I just ordered a set of OE clear markers from Suncoast and they came with the orange bulbs.
Old 08-07-2015 | 11:27 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Psymon
Cool. Never seen this before. Do you think this is thick enough to cars with the front fender flare?

My guess is, yes. These have individual LED "cells," and so they're a bit thicker down the whole length of the markers. The first ones you posted look great, but they only have the LED bulbs at the base of those "tubes," and so the light is not evenly distributed down the length of the marker. Again, I got these for function, so I'm okay with them, so far. They probably line up with any fender flares more nicely than the stock ones.
Old 08-08-2015 | 11:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have the #1 versions from the photos below bought off eBay. Clear but blink Amber. Had them for a couple years, no issues. If you do a search for "R-Kompressor" I've put up some recent pics of my car with a link to a Shutterfly album where there are more if you want to see what they look like on a GT silver car. I have smoked Dectane rears as well.
Old 08-08-2015 | 06:32 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

The Euro side markers are clear lens with amber bulb - Suncoast is one of many vendors selling these. Got pulled over by DPS for no front plate and also got a warning for having clear side markers - as others have said, DOT requires amber side maker. When I was pulled over my lights were on so even though lens was clear, the marker was illuminated amber - trooper said it didn't matter - had to be an amber reflector. Anyway it was a "no-fix" warning so nothing was changed.
Old 08-15-2015 | 08:16 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
The Euro side markers are clear lens with amber bulb - Suncoast is one of many vendors selling these. Got pulled over by DPS for no front plate and also got a warning for having clear side markers - as others have said, DOT requires amber side maker. When I was pulled over my lights were on so even though lens was clear, the marker was illuminated amber - trooper said it didn't matter - had to be an amber reflector. Anyway it was a "no-fix" warning so nothing was changed.
You'd think you could have just put on your blinker to prove to the trooper that it did indeed blink amber -- after all, isn't that the whole point of the DOT regulation?

(Sounds like you did and he didn't budge, after re-reading your post.)
Old 08-15-2015 | 09:17 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dalancroft
You'd think you could have just put on your blinker to prove to the trooper that it did indeed blink amber -- after all, isn't that the whole point of the DOT regulation?

(Sounds like you did and he didn't budge, after re-reading your post.)
The reg is for a reflector not a bulb...so even though my side markers were on showing an amber light I still got a "no reflector" warning.

Quick Reply: Front Side Light/Markers