Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washington DC area, or ScottsdaleAZ, Which place cost less in maintenance in general?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 01:26 PM
ciphercong
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Washington DC area, or ScottsdaleAZ, Which place cost less in maintenance in general?

Hi guys,

I know the title looks weird but that is really my situation here: I am moving to DC area from Scottsdale AZ by end of Aug and my car is at 52000 miles so I am thinking of doing a 50000 miles maintenance (it's a 997.1 bought at 45000 miles and at that time it was fully serviced, never done any service after that so far).

Just as the title described I wonder which place cost less in maintenance in general? My company will ship my vehicle for free, but I was told it is easier and lower cost to do maintenance in Scottsdale. Others told me I should ship it there first then find a good shop to do it, as it prevent from accidents shipping the car right after its maintenance done (maybe a week on the road).

Another question is I was told 50k mile maintenance is trivial, not as important as 60k one, is that correct?

Any thoughts? Thanks. I know it's kind of silly to ask this but really don't know which one would be a better choice.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:30 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where in DC area?

Indy shops in Northern VA are about $120/hr.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:03 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 156 Posts

Lots of indies here n DC area. Plus lots of tire popping potholes
Old 08-13-2015, 03:59 PM
ciphercong
Advanced

Originally Posted by motopix
Where in DC area?

Indy shops in Northern VA are about $120/hr.

In Rockville, actually.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:00 PM
ciphercong
Advanced

Originally Posted by DC911S
Lots of indies here n DC area. Plus lots of tire popping potholes
tire popping potholes? lol. I want to sue the government by then.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:17 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

One hand, get it done before you leave. Doesn't sound like you have any established relationship with a dealer or an indy. Oil change? sure.
On the other hand, get it done in DC. Make a new service friend.
If they don't do something right, you right there to get it corrected. If you had do it back in Arizona, you're not going back to kick some az.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:31 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a Potomac PCA that may be able to steer you in the right direction on what shops should be on your radar.

I spoke to the PCA president via email when I was looking for a vehicle in that area (I'm in NC) and he was very helpful.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:44 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm in Gilbert AZ and my main office is in Alexandria VA. A little off topic here but you better be getting one helluva raise to go to DC because most of my colleagues there don't live as well as I do on similar money. The houses and property taxes are insane, it makes Scottsdale look cheap!

Good luck with the transition.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:56 PM
ciphercong
Advanced

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
One hand, get it done before you leave. Doesn't sound like you have any established relationship with a dealer or an indy. Oil change? sure.
If they don't do something right, you right there to get it corrected. If you had do it back in Arizona, you're not going back to kick some az.
Thanks. auto shop called me said they just did oil change and inspection, everything looks fine except a broken hood switch kit(the one on driver's lower left side). I need to check my warranty to see if it will be covered.

Anyway, gonna make some new service friends in DC area!
Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 PM
ciphercong
Advanced

Originally Posted by Blu311
I'm in Gilbert AZ and my main office is in Alexandria VA. A little off topic here but you better be getting one helluva raise to go to DC because most of my colleagues there don't live as well as I do on similar money. The houses and property taxes are insane, it makes Scottsdale look cheap!

Good luck with the transition.
I know ! My three floor townhouse will shrink to a 1br apartment now (although big), with an increase in rent ! It's actually kind of funny to witness the whole thing once you accept the fact 'oh their price is killing me.'
Old 08-13-2015, 08:16 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
This.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ciphercong
In Rockville, actually.
I'm right up the road in Germantown. I try to DIY most of the routine stuff but there are plenty of indy's around in MD/VA, in no particular order - TPC, AutoTherapy, Intersport, ASG, SSI. there's posts on here about most of these (good and bad, i'm sure) so step 1 is probably to do your own research and decide. At the very least, youtube some DIY's for the routine stuff. i also know a good tech at the rkvl stealership for those "special" items where a P-technician might be the best bet (e.g. starter cable replace, tracking down an elec gremlin, etc). Ping me when you get in town if you need more info or help.

Originally Posted by gopirates
There is a Potomac PCA...
...and i'm the DE registrar, so step 2 is to get that thing on track.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:48 PM
ciphercong
Advanced

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
I'm right up the road in Germantown. I try to DIY most of the routine stuff but there are plenty of indy's around in MD/VA, in no particular order - TPC, AutoTherapy, Intersport, ASG, SSI. there's posts on here about most of these (good and bad, i'm sure) so step 1 is probably to do your own research and decide. At the very least, youtube some DIY's for the routine stuff. i also know a good tech at the rkvl stealership for those "special" items where a P-technician might be the best bet (e.g. starter cable replace, tracking down an elec gremlin, etc). Ping me when you get in town if you need more info or help.

...and i'm the DE registrar, so step 2 is to get that thing on track.
Wow, super helpful! Nice to know you Spiffyjiff This is so far my first Porsche and I do want to get involved in a Porsche Community!
Old 08-14-2015, 10:57 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That 60k service isn't so bad. I'd have to look it up, but it's pretty much the same as the 40k plus something else - sparkplugs I think.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:05 AM
too tall
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ciphercong
Wow, super helpful! Nice to know you Spiffyjiff This is so far my first Porsche and I do want to get involved in a Porsche Community!
Welcome to the area. I'm in Rockville also. My 07' CPO just ran out. Curiously, I've had a stellar experience with the dealership.

Howdy to PCA folks Great people.

Let's go for a drive!

Quick Reply: Washington DC area, or ScottsdaleAZ, Which place cost less in maintenance in general?