Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody completed the Porsche Sport Driving School 2 day?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:33 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
I believe the OP is asking about the Porsche Sport Driving School in Birmingham, not the Porsche Driving Experience located in Atlanta and Los Angeles. The former is focused on training and track sessions; the latter is focused on extended test drives and some autocross. Both are good, just different content and purpose.

I just attended the two day driving course at the school in Birmingham and thought it was excellent. Here is a link my review:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ds-review.html
Having no track and just some autocross experience, I also took the two day Birmingham class a few months after I took delivery of my 997.2 in 2009. Just like the car, it was pricy - but well worth it.

The Porsche instructors are world-class and you really get on those expensive tires and disks. As I remember they changed both on their (new) track cars at about 800-1,000 miles.

In the the second afternoon our class was feeling like we had really improved our basic skills. The instructors then took us on some hot laps in the new turbos they had on hand. I suddenly realized the chasm between our skill levels and gained a new appreciation for just how fast these cars are in the turns...
Old 08-11-2015, 07:01 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 662 Posts

Did 2 days at Barber with PSDS a couple years ago

Excellent program. I have a lot of experience instructing DE's and car control but still got a lot out of it.

- they continually re-configure the lead/follow groups on the track so faster folks aren't slowed up by those who don't want speed. If you push the instructor when you are behind them - they WILL go faster. It was quite spirited and I thoroughly enjoyed the track. I studied it before attending and was well prepared.

- it's all lead/follow except for the last session when they ride shotgun with you for a couple laps to see how you REALLY do

- we switched to different cars all throughout the 2 days. I drove the Cayman on autocross (not lead follow -just HAVE AT IT and it's timed and it's a race which is fun). Drove manual and PDK 911s on track along with Panamera GTS (awesome!), Cayman (manual). I don't remember all the cars I drove but it was different each session.

- Didn't care about off-roading in Cayenne but it was AMAZING and I'm glad I did it. It wasn't an entire day - it was only part of a morning and well worth the time. It was part "commercial" for how incredibly capable the vehicle is - and mostly instruction on how to offroad including intimidating steep climbs and descents and fording a several foot deep stream. I was amazed at what the vehicle could do on completely stock tires that were just a bit low on air.

- We got to do multiple launches of a 911 Turbo S. Zero to 60 in OMG. Amazing acceleration. I would never launch my own car so it was fun beating up on their car.

- skid pads (in figure 8 format) is great - continual flow of water to keep consistent "icy" surface. Very slick - great for learning car control and inducing and correcting skids in both directions. I have experience teaching this on a sanded skid pad but still enjoyed and learned. In 911's

- did swerve to avoid exercises and also threshold braking exercises in 911's.

- Agree with comments that it's a bit of a vacation rolled into driving school. Hotel is nice. Group dinner and talking to pro instructors was fun. Classroom was very informative and well done - learned a lot.

Option to ride along at the end of the program with an instructor for them driving you for a hot lap. It was very HOT. These guys are pros.

- It's a VERY expensive 2 days. Great experience. Top notch facilities. LOVE the track and wanna go back in my car. Very professional. We had about 90 minutes at the museum at the end of the second day before most headed to the airport (I stayed another night). Not nearly enough time to take it all in - well worth the trip to see the museum. They fed us breakfast and lunch at track - excellent food with decent variety to please most palates (including vegetarian - just tell them your preference up front and they'll accommodate)

I've attended an AMG driving academy program 6 years ago at Road Atlanta. It was also top notch in terms of logistics and professionals. The did more marketing there - but we drove lead follow, did car control, launches, skid pad, swerve to avoid which was fantastic and probably the best I've ever experiences because we did it in a flooded parking lot and truly learned how ABS can save you! It was fun and as my first ever driving school I learned a lot. Hubby - who wanted to go REALLY fast on the track (had experience) was very satisfied with how he could drive. He pushed the instructor to go faster and they obliged every time. I wasn't interested in a lot of speed so I was in a slower group.

If you have the resources and want to plunk down THAT much money for two days - even with experience it's fun and you'll learn some things. They also try to keep people grouped by experience and IMO did a good job.

It's a very full two days and an incredible test drive of their fleet.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:33 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Did 2 days at Barber with PSDS a couple years ago

Excellent program. I have a lot of experience instructing DE's and car control but still got a lot out of it.

- they continually re-configure the lead/follow groups on the track so faster folks aren't slowed up by those who don't want speed. If you push the instructor when you are behind them - they WILL go faster. It was quite spirited and I thoroughly enjoyed the track. I studied it before attending and was well prepared.

- it's all lead/follow except for the last session when they ride shotgun with you for a couple laps to see how you REALLY do

- we switched to different cars all throughout the 2 days. I drove the Cayman on autocross (not lead follow -just HAVE AT IT and it's timed and it's a race which is fun). Drove manual and PDK 911s on track along with Panamera GTS (awesome!), Cayman (manual). I don't remember all the cars I drove but it was different each session.

- Didn't care about off-roading in Cayenne but it was AMAZING and I'm glad I did it. It wasn't an entire day - it was only part of a morning and well worth the time. It was part "commercial" for how incredibly capable the vehicle is - and mostly instruction on how to offroad including intimidating steep climbs and descents and fording a several foot deep stream. I was amazed at what the vehicle could do on completely stock tires that were just a bit low on air.

- We got to do multiple launches of a 911 Turbo S. Zero to 60 in OMG. Amazing acceleration. I would never launch my own car so it was fun beating up on their car.

- skid pads (in figure 8 format) is great - continual flow of water to keep consistent "icy" surface. Very slick - great for learning car control and inducing and correcting skids in both directions. I have experience teaching this on a sanded skid pad but still enjoyed and learned. In 911's

- did swerve to avoid exercises and also threshold braking exercises in 911's.

- Agree with comments that it's a bit of a vacation rolled into driving school. Hotel is nice. Group dinner and talking to pro instructors was fun. Classroom was very informative and well done - learned a lot.

Option to ride along at the end of the program with an instructor for them driving you for a hot lap. It was very HOT. These guys are pros.

- It's a VERY expensive 2 days. Great experience. Top notch facilities. LOVE the track and wanna go back in my car. Very professional. We had about 90 minutes at the museum at the end of the second day before most headed to the airport (I stayed another night). Not nearly enough time to take it all in - well worth the trip to see the museum. They fed us breakfast and lunch at track - excellent food with decent variety to please most palates (including vegetarian - just tell them your preference up front and they'll accommodate)

I've attended an AMG driving academy program 6 years ago at Road Atlanta. It was also top notch in terms of logistics and professionals. The did more marketing there - but we drove lead follow, did car control, launches, skid pad, swerve to avoid which was fantastic and probably the best I've ever experiences because we did it in a flooded parking lot and truly learned how ABS can save you! It was fun and as my first ever driving school I learned a lot. Hubby - who wanted to go REALLY fast on the track (had experience) was very satisfied with how he could drive. He pushed the instructor to go faster and they obliged every time. I wasn't interested in a lot of speed so I was in a slower group.

If you have the resources and want to plunk down THAT much money for two days - even with experience it's fun and you'll learn some things. They also try to keep people grouped by experience and IMO did a good job.

It's a very full two days and an incredible test drive of their fleet.
Thank you!

Quick Reply: Anybody completed the Porsche Sport Driving School 2 day?