Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody completed the Porsche Sport Driving School 2 day?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 01:23 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anybody completed the Porsche Sport Driving School 2 day?

If so, what was your experience? Worth it? Where did you start and where did you end up with regards to car control, experience, etc.?
Old 08-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where do they hold this at?
Old 08-06-2015, 02:32 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts

Its held near Hotlanta and some place near LA.

If you just want to learn to be a better driver, you can gain all you'll get from local Autocross School and Track Day.

If you want pampering, a vacation, and to drive someone elses car, it's worth it.

It's like asking if a spa vacation is worth it. Wife = Yes, Me = No.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Porsche Driving Experience Center - 5 racetracks, museum, and restaraunts. 100 million dollar facility if I recall - 90 minutes of track time with a 991 GT3 and a 991 Turbo. It's in Atlanta, haven't booked mine yet but will probably do a session in 2016.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 151 Posts

I just completed a course at the new PEC in Atlanta. Back to back sessions in a C2S and a C4S...
Good instruction and feedback and was able to get pretty speedy. Would recommend this highly as it is pretty cost effective and the new facility is gorgeous.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

How much does it cost? I think they mentioned it in the newest edition of Panorama, but I forget.

I was planning on doing the three day school at Barber or Bondurant so I could apply for my SCCA competition license next year.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
How much does it cost? I think they mentioned it in the newest edition of Panorama, but I forget.

I was planning on doing the three day school at Barber or Bondurant so I could apply for my SCCA competition license next year.
$300-$750 for 90 minutes depending on the car:

https://www.porschedriving.com/exper...ng-experiences

Trending Topics

Old 08-06-2015, 11:09 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

I believe the OP is asking about the Porsche Sport Driving School in Birmingham, not the Porsche Driving Experience located in Atlanta and Los Angeles. The former is focused on training and track sessions; the latter is focused on extended test drives and some autocross. Both are good, just different content and purpose.

I just attended the two day driving course at the school in Birmingham and thought it was excellent. Here is a link my review:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ds-review.html

Last edited by PorscheStrong; 08-06-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:13 PM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I would love to do the Porsche race school, but $-wise I went with the Bondurant 4-day and it was awesome. Real instruction IMO compared to another "school" i did recently (AMG, which was more like a series of marketing drives haha - super fun tho to beat up on the new AMG GT S at COTA).
Old 08-06-2015, 11:19 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Exactly! I already autocross and DE, I just want to get better!
Originally Posted by scheStrong
I believe the OP is asking about the Porsche Sport Driving School in Birmingham, not the Porsche Driving Experience located in Atlanta and Los Angeles. The former is focused on training and track sessions; the latter is focused on extended test drives in some autocross. Both are good, just different content and purpose.

I just attended the two day driving course at the school in Birmingham and thought it was excellent. Here is a link my review:

Old 08-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Interesting.

My fiancee bought me one of those "exotic car driving experiences" at Autobahn Country Club three years ago for my birthday. Once I found out, I looked up the terms and conditions - Nice selection of cars, but all were automatic (can't fault them for that, I guess), and they specifically stated that all stability management aids were to remain on at all times. All drives were with an instructor in the car, and an instructor leading a pack of cars.

I asked for a refund and got my MINI Cooper S dyno-tuned by the best MINI tuner instead.

The Porsche experience seems to be different. Sounds like a good father's day present.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:35 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
I believe the OP is asking about the Porsche Sport Driving School in Birmingham, not the Porsche Driving Experience located in Atlanta and Los Angeles. The former is focused on training and track sessions; the latter is focused on extended test drives and some autocross. Both are good, just different content and purpose.

I also attended the school in Birmingham for 2 days when the track was brand new and Porsche's facilities there were built (my profile pic is from those sessions). The school was excellent: the instructors were all race drivers, the track was outstanding, and the training facilities and garage were top notch. In addition to learning fast lines around the track, there was an autocross area and another with "black ice" to improve control skills in slippery conditions. I got plenty out of it in terms of the theory and practice of good car control in general and at speed.

BTW if you like motorcycles plan on an extra day to take in the Barber Motorcycle Museum which is on the premises and was the actual reason this state of the art facility was built. Initially George Barber was looking to build a track to test his motorbikes... the test track evolved into a racetrack. The Museum blew me away in terms of the collection itself, its architecture, the sheer size of the collection and the staging developed to present each bike. George is also a Lotus fan so there is also a nice collection of Lotuses there too.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:04 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

For those that are experienced with the school:

1) Can someone explain the differences between the Precision and Performance classes? Do you have to take Precision before Performance as an example? I do like that there are some 1 day classes but they are all Precision.

2) Based on the answers to #2 above - if you have several DE's under your belt - do you need to start with a certain class or do you come in at a different level or can you sign up for anything?

3) Also, what if you sign up for the 2 day class and don't care of the second day where they have off-roading with the Cayenne? Can you substitute for something else?

4) I see a Masters Plus class but not a Masters class? I am assuming there is a Masters class you need first. Also - do you have to go through their classes and graduate to the Masters Class or do they base it on what skills you have before getting there, etc?

5) The G Force class looks awesome. Again - do you have to have a certain amount of classes?

For me - I am looking to get proficient at driving 911's (I have a 997.1) and I am doing local DE's, etc but would like to experience the PSDC school. Thanks for any comments-

Tony
Old 08-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not call Porsche and ask?
Old 08-09-2015, 10:34 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Linnm
Why not call Porsche and ask?
Yep - was going to do that as well

Quick Reply: Anybody completed the Porsche Sport Driving School 2 day?