Considering this 997 to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 03:04 AM
yelloporsche
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Considering this 997 to buy

Hi all:

I’m considering buying this Porsche from Carmax.

http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/911/2...ultType=&mode=

A few things bother me (don’t point out the yellow paint, I actually like the color)=)

The radio has been replaced with an aftermarket Pioneer one and I wonder if I lost other trip computer functionality by this replacement?
There is a short shifter installed, which I actually liked the way it drove but the purist in me thought this blasphemous for a moment.
Is anyone familiar with this car or any advice other than what I’ve read already on the forums.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:33 AM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

short shifter is a factory option and thus can't even upset the most pure of purists.

It's a convertible that is like the least purist thing you can do!
Old 07-23-2015, 04:42 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by yelloporsche
Hi all:

I’m considering buying this Porsche from Carmax.

http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/911/2...ultType=&mode=

A few things bother me (don’t point out the yellow paint, I actually like the color)=)

The radio has been replaced with an aftermarket Pioneer one and I wonder if I lost other trip computer functionality by this replacement?
There is a short shifter installed, which I actually liked the way it drove but the purist in me thought this blasphemous for a moment.
Is anyone familiar with this car or any advice other than what I’ve read already on the forums.
Go through the PCM Manual (it is separate from the Owners Manual) and make sure all the features you think the car has, are really there. Depending on when it was made, not all early S models had navigation or phone or tire pressure monitors installed as standard features but rather as optional choices. On the console are various buttons and if you push them they will alert you if you do not have those features installed.

My 06 S coupe does not have navigation, phone, nor tire monitoring. I still have to check with the dealer to see if this can be added after the fact.
Navigation isn't anything I really car about...my wife's smart phone can do all of that already. And the wi fi telephone gizmo you can buy at Best Buy for $50.

But since the car does not have a spare...and they only spare the Porsche parts guy "thinks" might work with the S sized brakes is $650...the tire pressure monitoring might be nice to have so you can see a flat before it happens.

Your price is a fair market value no matter what equipment is has...if you get it, drive it every chance you get...and don't let anyone tell you to get the IMS fixed...Jake Raby himself says it is almost unheard of for the model you are looking at having an IMS issue.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:13 AM
vector99
Intermediate

Default Considering this 997 to buy

And don't forget the best thing about Carmax is the relatively cheap warranty they offer, probably 5 years for around $2500
Old 07-23-2015, 09:39 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 142 Posts

I wonder if I lost other trip computer functionality by this replacement?
Its there, but the Pioneer unit will not display its features or functions. The small display on the dash under the tach will still show some of the functions. Thats why I opted to keep my OEM unit. What would be great is a aftermarket unit that would actually mimic the OEM and give you the trip computer and sports chrono functions on its display as well. But thats not going to happen.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:49 AM
911searcher
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yelloporsche
The radio has been replaced with an aftermarket Pioneer one
I have a 2006 997.
The stock radio really sucks.
Couldn't be more awkward.

I'm sure it would be easy to get a stock radio. I'll PM you when I get rid of mine.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Lance-AR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 997 OEM shifter I could part with.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:23 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Good millage, and the right price.
Get a PPi from a dealer or indy. Consider the Carmax extended warranty?
Looks nice.
My scooby senses, say, why is it at Carmax?
What did they pay the poor seller?
Why isn't it on a oem lot?
What's wrong with it?
Was it dumped there because of a problem?
I'm sure it just went across the auction block and they snapped it up.
Don't be emotional, do your homework. Ask the tough questions that will get you answers.
If your suspect. Walk.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't be concerned with the aftermarket radio. I see it has an aux input in the console, and if it also has bluetooth handsfree and streaming you're already way ahead of the OEM. The install looks good. I wouldn't worry about what purists think, the 997 is not air-cooled or low-production (for a Porsche), and it's a cab, and yellow, so already off the purist's radar I see it originally had Bose, so might want to check if it's still hooked up to the amp. In any case, no sound system will live up to its potential in one of these, especially a cab, the cabin accoustics are just not there.

Did you notice the finish on the A/C fan switch is pretty well worn? See if Carmax will replace the switches for you. They have a 30 day warranty that supposedly covers everything including trim.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:40 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
My scooby senses, say, why is it at Carmax?
What did they pay the poor seller?
Why isn't it on a oem lot?
What's wrong with it?
Was it dumped there because of a problem?
I'm sure it just went across the auction block and they snapped it up.
Actually Carmax pays somewhat better than a new-car dealer, so a lot of people who don't have the time to sell privately, sell to CarMax rather than take the dealer's trade offer. I have done this a couple times and know a few others who have done it also. Honestly I would buy from (and sell to) CarMax in a heartbeat. There's none of the insulting stupid games the salesmen play at dealers. That alone is reason enough for me. Then there's a 5-day period you can return the car for a full refund with no questions asked. Then there's a 30-day full warranty. That beats any dealer I'm aware of. Also CarMax does a wax and shine detail but they don't respray panels or refinish upholstery etc. so WYSIWYG, you can see how much wear and tear a car has had. All very above-board in my experience.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:11 AM
yelloporsche
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys.

What's weird is that I've been watching a lot of YouTube vids about this car. Is it odd that I don't have the "sport" button on the dash but I have the chrono?
Old 07-23-2015, 05:23 PM
rlddlr53
Rennlist Member

Strange it doesnt have the sport button. I have a C2 997 with sport chrono, and have the sport button.

Possible when you hit the PASM sport activates since sports chrono and PASM are standard on the "S"

Physically inspect the car, get a PPI, and have your insurance broker/agent run a CLUE report on the car. This will tell you if the car has ever had any insurance claims or repairs, even if not on the autocheck/carfax.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:26 PM
otuA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re: Aftermarket stereo.

I love my Pioneer unit and I don't think I'm really missing any OEM features I care about. TPMS is in the dash display, same with sport chrono lap timer, trip, etc - basically all the crucial stuff is in the dash display controlled with the steering wheel stalk.

What I gain is bluetooth music streaming, bluetooth phone support, much better HD radio interface, and a much better nav (which I still never use, except on a roadtrip). 100% worth it. I was skeptical like you at first, but I was overthinking it. The aftermarket system was $2000, it is great for updating our almost ten year old cars to modern standards.

I also have the factory short shift kit and it is wonderful! I would have probably installed it myself eventually.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:14 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Personally, I would not buy a Porsche from Carmax. I loved the concept (large network, discounted shipping, cheap warranty, supposed quality assurance), until I tried twice and had major issues with each. They WILL NOT allow you to do a PPI, though you can complete the purchase and then return it within 5 days, during which time you can do a PPI. This isn't a Ford, it's a Porsche, land of the $300 oil changes -- you want a car that has been loved; people who love their Porsche's seldom trade them in at Carmax. The ones I pursued at Carmax and ultimately passed on had material cosmetic and mechanical issues, and Carmax did not want to address either. If you're serious about the car, see my postings on another thread...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...out-of-it.html

Quick Reply: Considering this 997 to buy