Sponsored by:

Looking for my first P-car

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 06:16 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by WIMPWGN
Hi, everyone. Owning a P-car has been a life long dream for me, dated back a decade ago when I almost pulled a trigger on a 993. Like always, life got in the way and other priorities took over.

Now I've finally decided to come back for a second try. This time, I'm looking for a 997.2 S. I've been driven manual for over a decade on a daily basis, so naturally I thought it's the way to go. After all, it is a Porsche.

After my latest test drive, I don't know if it's the right choice. The clutch seemed stiff (the test car had 38k miles), and the shift action felt long and notchy. The pdf I drove next is great, but I don't know if I'll grow bored of it.

I guess I need to test drive a few more sample before making my decision. I think when the right one comes on the market, I don't really have a preference manual or pdk.

My budget is to stay around $60k. Do you think I'll be able to find something low miles with that price?

Thanks!

My car (997.2) shifts silky smooth and the clutch feel is great. As others have already said, try some other cars...

For price, you are better to judge by just looking at cars, inspecting them, and then seeing if the ones you like with whatever you consider to be "low" miles, falls within that budget. Condition, color, care (and mileage) will dictate the price.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:21 PM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Shelby GT350 is in that price range brand new and blows just about everything out of the water south of a 458. If you are set on a 911 though, I would get a 911. They are awesome.

If you don't go 911 I would skip Audi/Maserati/ and go straight to that Shelby.
Thanks for the suggestions. Owning a 911 has been a life long dream, maybe it'll be a nightmare, but I won't know until I have one.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:24 PM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
My car (997.2) shifts silky smooth and the clutch feel is great. As others have already said, try some other cars...

For price, you are better to judge by just looking at cars, inspecting them, and then seeing if the ones you like with whatever you consider to be "low" miles, falls within that budget. Condition, color, care (and mileage) will dictate the price.
Realistically, I'm looking at something around 30k miles, less than 2 owners. It would be nice if it's CPO or has some sort of extended warranty that comes with it already. Options don't matter to me if it's a manual, but S/C is a must for PDK.

There was a nice looking (from the pictures) 2011 CPO C2S manual with 30k miles listed for $58k, but it was sold before I could even had a chance to see it in person.

I'm sure there will be others, but waiting is such cruel game.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:05 PM
turbo3.6
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Realistically, I'm looking at something around 30k miles, less than 2 owners. It would be nice if it's CPO or has some sort of extended warranty that comes with it already. Options don't matter to me if it's a manual, but S/C is a must for PDK.

There was a nice looking (from the pictures) 2011 CPO C2S manual with 30k miles listed for $58k, but it was sold before I could even had a chance to see it in person.

I'm sure there will be others, but waiting is such cruel game.
Hey, as Wayne says: It's all about the chase!

I had very specific criteria when I was looking for my GTS and was able to find one with 90% of what I wanted. The 6MT was a must and I love the way mine shifts, very smooth with not too much clutch effort.

You have been given very good advice so far - go drive a bunch and don't buy unless you love it...
Old 07-14-2015, 08:14 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. Owning a 911 has been a life long dream, maybe it'll be a nightmare, but I won't know until I have one.
The Porsche 911 is arguably the greatest automotive icon the world has ever seen. Owning one is unmatched.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:00 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It took me (quite) a while to find the 997 that I wanted, but when I found the right one I knew it. Silky smooth shifting? Hmmm.... I have yet to drive a mid- or rear-engined car that I would describe as silky smooth when it comes to shifting. I like how my 6MT shifts--it does have a bit of "feel" between first and second, and once in a while it can be a little stubborn going to into first. I've owned five Audi/VW/Porsche standard (cable operated) shift cars and they all have these idiosyncrasies. Yep, my Carrera has the 2800 RPM "glitch" too. It's par for the course! These do not detract at all from the driving experience that these cars provide.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:30 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

If you don't care for all the comforts of home, go for a 993. You could probably find a very nice one for 60K, and it would hold it's value better than a 997. But then again, I have a 997 and I think it's the best Porsche I've owned.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:11 AM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Originally Posted by j beede
It took me (quite) a while to find the 997 that I wanted, but when I found the right one I knew it. Silky smooth shifting? Hmmm.... I have yet to drive a mid- or rear-engined car that I would describe as silky smooth when it comes to shifting. I like how my 6MT shifts--it does have a bit of "feel" between first and second, and once in a while it can be a little stubborn going to into first. I've owned five Audi/VW/Porsche standard (cable operated) shift cars and they all have these idiosyncrasies. Yep, my Carrera has the 2800 RPM "glitch" too. It's par for the course! These do not detract at all from the driving experience that these cars provide.
What's this "glitch" you are referring to?

By far the best "feel" manual shifter is the S2000 I owned several years ago. Short and crisp, never notchy. My current daily is a GTI and the shift feel is above average, a bit long but buttery smooth.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:13 AM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrhebert
If you don't care for all the comforts of home, go for a 993. You could probably find a very nice one for 60K, and it would hold it's value better than a 997. But then again, I have a 997 and I think it's the best Porsche I've owned.

I was seriously shopping for a 993 a decade ago, and the price back then was in the mid 30k for a nice one. Looking at the price for a decent 993 makes me want to throw up.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:34 AM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My personal take is that no car will ever be 'the one' forever and life is about having as many different experiences as you can. Tastes change and evolve over time as does technology and this makes the car hobby exciting. Find something that speaks to you, buy it and enjoy it and when the time comes to move on you have that experience and memories under your belt. I do not purchase cars for the investment potential, I buy them to drive.

I owned a 964 C2 for the past 5 years and loved every minute of it. But 6 months ago I got the itch for a change and I sold it and got a 2005 C2S. I love owning and driving the 997 just as much as the 964. The person I sold the 964 to is totally happy with his 'new' car. Everybody wins.

Go get a car that has been well maintained, drive it, enjoy it, take care of it and when the time comes sell it and get another one, and another one. Enjoy the journey and forget about the destination.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:03 AM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Thoughts on this one?
http://www.milpasmotors.net/2009_Por..._255895657.veh
Old 07-15-2015, 08:42 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As for the feel of the shifter, my son and I have had four late Porsche's, all with short shifters, and each of them was very different than the others. First gear can be a bit "graunchy" from 2 to 1 when rolling, and a bit stiff until the gear oil is a bit warm. Just don't be ham-fisted, or "speed shift" like with an old Hurst, and you might find a manual car just the thing for great satisfaction.

All the best...
Old 07-15-2015, 08:44 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, another thing. Long, long ago, when I had my first car, a TR4, I took it to an ex-racer, who taught me the "snick-snick" method of shifting, something I have used ever since. It is just a very brief, almost imperceptible pause in the middle of the "H", before finishing the shift into the next gear. Try it. Maybe gives the synchro's a tiny fraction of a second to get gears up to speed or something.

Has made for effortless shifting for me for the past half century.

All the best...
Old 07-15-2015, 11:04 AM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Originally Posted by NAM VET
Oh, another thing. Long, long ago, when I had my first car, a TR4, I took it to an ex-racer, who taught me the "snick-snick" method of shifting, something I have used ever since. It is just a very brief, almost imperceptible pause in the middle of the "H", before finishing the shift into the next gear. Try it. Maybe gives the synchro's a tiny fraction of a second to get gears up to speed or something.

Has made for effortless shifting for me for the past half century.

All the best...
Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:22 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by j beede
Yes, shifting is very smooth, 1/2 shift included. The throw is a touch longer than might be optimal but I can't say the shifter has been anything but smooth, allowing for nice crisp and fast shifts, both up and down.

My BMW DID have some 1/2 shift issues years ago but nothing that some minor adjustments didn't sort out easily.

In the 911 the only issue I've had is the rare "getting into first gear at a stop" and (if I recall correctly) it is almost always when on a slight incline. If I clutch out and then in again it always goes in just fine, however. My BMW has had the same issue, and my old VW too IIRC.

Some cars I drove when trying different models did have notchier feeling shifts, and I also drove some with SSK, which I actually liked a lot and might consider doing in the future...

Quick Reply: Looking for my first P-car