Sponsored by:

Looking for my first P-car

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 12:38 AM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for my first P-car

Hi, everyone. Owning a P-car has been a life long dream for me, dated back a decade ago when I almost pulled a trigger on a 993. Like always, life got in the way and other priorities took over.

Now I've finally decided to come back for a second try. This time, I'm looking for a 997.2 S. I've been driven manual for over a decade on a daily basis, so naturally I thought it's the way to go. After all, it is a Porsche.

After my latest test drive, I don't know if it's the right choice. The clutch seemed stiff (the test car had 38k miles), and the shift action felt long and notchy. The pdf I drove next is great, but I don't know if I'll grow bored of it.

I guess I need to test drive a few more sample before making my decision. I think when the right one comes on the market, I don't really have a preference manual or pdk.

My budget is to stay around $60k. Do you think I'll be able to find something low miles with that price?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2015, 01:05 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

Try driving another one. The very first one I tried was similar to what you are describing, it sucked but i gave it another chance or two and saw every car I drove was slightly different and better.
Many people get a short shift kit installed to get rid of the sloppiness and get that notched feeling out.
Do a search on SSK and you'll find allot of info. I my self have a B&M short shifter.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:17 AM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Originally Posted by malahhaor
Try driving another one. The very first one I tried was similar to what you are describing, it sucked but i gave it another chance or two and saw every car I drove was slightly different and better.
Many people get a short shift kit installed to get rid of the sloppiness and get that notched feeling out.
Do a search on SSK and you'll find allot of info. I my self have a B&M short shifter.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely try some other samples.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:47 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most important of all: Try a variety of them.
The 997 is an excellent line. I prefer the later 996, though others have valid critiques (you can secure a nice one for $35, and keep the remaining 25k you budgeted).
Many people swear by the Cayman, and as a driving machine, it's probably better than the 911 platform. Not for me, but: for some.
The best Porsche is the one that gives you the most joy, and the least angst over 'shoulda bought the other one instead'. I've had a few. I can't tell you which was the best one: But not ONE of them was the worst.
Enjoy your search.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:42 AM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Most important of all: Try a variety of them.
The 997 is an excellent line. I prefer the later 996, though others have valid critiques (you can secure a nice one for $35, and keep the remaining 25k you budgeted).
Many people swear by the Cayman, and as a driving machine, it's probably better than the 911 platform. Not for me, but: for some.
The best Porsche is the one that gives you the most joy, and the least angst over 'shoulda bought the other one instead'. I've had a few. I can't tell you which was the best one: But not ONE of them was the worst.
Enjoy your search.
I have a 5 year old so having a rear seat is important to me. The 996 does nothing for me, and I also want to avoid the first gen 997 due to IMS failure, no matter how rare people say it is. To me, 997.2 is the perfect 911.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

i
Originally Posted by WIMPWGN
I have a 5 year old so having a rear seat is important to me. The 996 does nothing for me, and I also want to avoid the first gen 997 due to IMS failure, no matter how rare people say it is. To me, 997.2 is the perfect 911.
You sound a lot like me. I have a 3 year old and recently picked up a 997.2 base 6 speed. The 996 just isn't for me, and while I love the 997.1, I decided on a base 997.2 instead for a handful of reasons.

I say get a 6 speed, I drove the PDK and while I know its faster and more convenient, I knew I wanted a 6 speed and I'm glad I did!

You should be able to get a 997.2 S for under 60k without a problem but with lower miles and options they can easily go for more.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:25 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WIMPWGN
The clutch seemed stiff (the test car had 38k miles), and the shift action felt long and notchy.

Thanks!
The clutch might need replacement. Clutch should be soft
Old 07-14-2015, 02:32 PM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My first Porsche was a 997.2 with 6MT. The stick shift was notchy from 1st to 2nd and sometimes blocked into 1st. Not a lot of joy to drive in the city.

Sold the car and now looking for a vehicle with PDK.

Hope that helps.

CF
Old 07-14-2015, 02:35 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

My first Porsche was a 997.1 Carrera S launch edition 6MT. I have found this gearbox to be one of the best around. Recently test drove PDK 997 Turbo / PDK GTS and a 6speed 997 Turbo as I thought they would be better cars. Immediately stopped looking after all test drives and keeping my original car.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:32 PM
pavster
Instructor

I think the question should be do you want a Porsche 911 or do you want something that you really enjoy driving regardless of brand? For me, I drove the 911 twice before buying: I rented a 996 in California for a week and knew I was in love after the 1st mile still at the airport with a huge grin on my face. And the second time was the test drive that had me signing the check at the end. If the car doesn't give you this feeling, I don't think you will be happy with it. $50k is a nice budget and can get you something like an RS5. I say go test drive every car South of $60k and then see if you still like Porsche the best. For me personally stick is still #1 priority, which rules out most of the cars.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:29 PM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blu311
i

You sound a lot like me. I have a 3 year old and recently picked up a 997.2 base 6 speed. The 996 just isn't for me, and while I love the 997.1, I decided on a base 997.2 instead for a handful of reasons.

I say get a 6 speed, I drove the PDK and while I know its faster and more convenient, I knew I wanted a 6 speed and I'm glad I did!

You should be able to get a 997.2 S for under 60k without a problem but with lower miles and options they can easily go for more.
I'm still leaning towards manual, but if a really nice PDK with good price pops up, I don't think I'm going to say no because of it.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:30 PM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blu311
i

Originally Posted by malexgcab
The clutch might need replacement. Clutch should be soft
Soft seems subjective, but I'll definitely try some more to see.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:31 PM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Originally Posted by Para82
My first Porsche was a 997.1 Carrera S launch edition 6MT. I have found this gearbox to be one of the best around. Recently test drove PDK 997 Turbo / PDK GTS and a 6speed 997 Turbo as I thought they would be better cars. Immediately stopped looking after all test drives and keeping my original car.
Is there a difference between .1 and .2 clutch?
Old 07-14-2015, 05:04 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Looking for my first P-car

I echo what an earlier poster said, drive as many as you can, in different styles, if nothing else to give you an idea of what is normal and what is not. First one I drove (base C2) was a bit of a disappointment. The S model spoke to me. So, when an S popped up in year/color I wanted - I immediately put a deposit to hold it, test drove it a few days later, then bought it same day...T
Old 07-14-2015, 06:07 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pavster
I think the question should be do you want a Porsche 911 or do you want something that you really enjoy driving regardless of brand? For me, I drove the 911 twice before buying: I rented a 996 in California for a week and knew I was in love after the 1st mile still at the airport with a huge grin on my face. And the second time was the test drive that had me signing the check at the end. If the car doesn't give you this feeling, I don't think you will be happy with it. $50k is a nice budget and can get you something like an RS5. I say go test drive every car South of $60k and then see if you still like Porsche the best. For me personally stick is still #1 priority, which rules out most of the cars.
Shelby GT350 is in that price range brand new and blows just about everything out of the water south of a 458. If you are set on a 911 though, I would get a 911. They are awesome.

If you don't go 911 I would skip Audi/Maserati/ and go straight to that Shelby.

Quick Reply: Looking for my first P-car