Sponsored by:

997.2 Smog Nightmare and Issues - help most appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 12:58 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i am in cali have shark center muff delete on two 997s never a smog issue
i did have one issue with a 7gt3 (not sharked) which would not complete its self tests obd2 cycle for smog readiness, even after lots of driving... had dealer reflash ecu even tho it did not have aftermkt tune ... then all was good. passed smog immediately
like all software programming things can sometimes get hung up or out of whack - shldn't happen but it does
Old 07-28-2015, 12:59 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 364 Likes on 224 Posts

Nothing after the cat should effect emissions...period.. just doesn't make sense from an engineering standpoint
Old 07-28-2015, 04:31 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
Nothing after the cat should effect emissions...period.. just doesn't make sense from an engineering standpoint
Agree but someone posted further up the chain that the aftermarket mufflers were likely the cause.

Just wanted to give an additional datapoint
Old 11-07-2015, 12:47 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Apologies for the delayed update as I've been overseas, thanks again everyone for their help and input....

Quick recap- My car battery was never disconnected, replaced etc. - what's strange again was it didn't have the EGR READY per the OP above, I drove it over 1k miles or so at various speeds etc as well...nada nothing, no one could help; then one day I got an OBD reader and randomly the status were all green lights- I took it to the P dealer and smog passed

I'll never figure out what the issues may have been specific to my car, but will anxiously see what's to follow at the next smog registration date in two years- will keep everyone posted then.

This outcome also affirms that the Sharkwerks bypass and fister exhaust mods I have do not affect smog as many have already stated ;-)

Hope all my fellow Rennlisters are well ...
Old 03-31-2017, 12:54 PM
tony42
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping this old thread, I've got the exact same issue for months and can't pass smog
The smog test is all green besides an "EGR and/or VVT not ready" status. Car is an 09 997.2 with PSE, center bypass, and EVOMSit ECU.
There was an issue with the PSE vacuum _exactly_ as described by this guy with a P1094 code thrown https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...078-b2aaa.html
The vacuum leak was fixed, and everything checks out according to my mechanic, though I still have P1094 listed as "permanent code", but no confirmed / pending code when running the smog test, so I'm assuming this code is just remnant and should not interfere, or does permanent code need to be cleared too??

My mechanic thinks at this point it's just a matter of driving car long enough after fixing the vacuum. I've tried to do the proper drive cycle 4 times to no avail. He strongly believes it's an issue with the CATs not getting hot enough for the status to become ready, and next step would be to add heat wrap to them. I trust him but I havent seen any mention of heat wrapping to pass smog in forums.

I've had other opinions, ranging from:
- ECU problem, there is no EGR on car, you need to flash it back to stock. I'm surprised because EVOMSit is most common (those guys give awesome support btw).
- O2 sensor is not working well (but it's been checked, though not replaced)
- Mass air flow sensor problem or intake has leak (but it's been checked too)
- Someone told me if the Leak Detection Module is faulty it could throw a wrench in cycle

vg247, were you following any specific pattern to eventually get your car to go green, e.g. stay under 3000rpm and 60mph for hours??
Thanks folks, I'm going nuts with this.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:08 PM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by tony42
Bumping this old thread, I've got the exact same issue for months and can't pass smog
The smog test is all green besides an "EGR and/or VVT not ready" status. Car is an 09 997.2 with PSE, center bypass, and EVOMSit ECU.
There was an issue with the PSE vacuum _exactly_ as described by this guy with a P1094 code thrown https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...078-b2aaa.html
The vacuum leak was fixed, and everything checks out according to my mechanic, though I still have P1094 listed as "permanent code", but no confirmed / pending code when running the smog test, so I'm assuming this code is just remnant and should not interfere, or does permanent code need to be cleared too??

My mechanic thinks at this point it's just a matter of driving car long enough after fixing the vacuum. I've tried to do the proper drive cycle 4 times to no avail. He strongly believes it's an issue with the CATs not getting hot enough for the status to become ready, and next step would be to add heat wrap to them. I trust him but I havent seen any mention of heat wrapping to pass smog in forums.

I've had other opinions, ranging from:
- ECU problem, there is no EGR on car, you need to flash it back to stock. I'm surprised because EVOMSit is most common (those guys give awesome support btw).
- O2 sensor is not working well (but it's been checked, though not replaced)
- Mass air flow sensor problem or intake has leak (but it's been checked too)
- Someone told me if the Leak Detection Module is faulty it could throw a wrench in cycle

vg247, were you following any specific pattern to eventually get your car to go green, e.g. stay under 3000rpm and 60mph for hours??
Thanks folks, I'm going nuts with this.
Tony - just reflash your ECU to stock and drive the car one full tank or so at freeway and street speeds for various intervals , that should give you the readiness. Another user had the same issue having his EVOSIT flash
Old 08-28-2017, 08:04 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Yeah...but this is California, not the USA.
lol...
Old 05-08-2018, 07:59 PM
bml376
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reviving this old thread. I have a 997.2 and trying to get the car smogged. All of the checks show ready/pass except for "EGR not ready". It did previously have the Sharkwerks/EVOSIT tune, but that has been removed and re-flashed back to stock. The only other change is the Sharkwerk center muffler bypass.

Are there any suggestions or tricks to get past this "EGR not ready" issue? Car has been through many drive cycles and so far nothing. This is driving me nuts.

Please help!
Old 05-08-2018, 11:35 PM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by bml376
Reviving this old thread. I have a 997.2 and trying to get the car smogged. All of the checks show ready/pass except for "EGR not ready". It did previously have the Sharkwerks/EVOSIT tune, but that has been removed and re-flashed back to stock. The only other change is the Sharkwerk center muffler bypass.

Are there any suggestions or tricks to get past this "EGR not ready" issue? Car has been through many drive cycles and so far nothing. This is driving me nuts.

Please help!
The SW center bypass and any side muffler bypass shouldn’t affect this. If you have nothing else modded and already reflashed to stock, try as I suggested above - “drive the car one full tank or so at freeway and street speeds for various intervals and periods of time , that should give you the readiness”.

This solved mine and the above’s EGR readiness issue.

Please let us know here how it works out for you so others may benefit.

Best and good luck
Old 05-09-2018, 09:28 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Please help!
I know it's tedious and sometimes difficult to plan a route for the varying speeds and time, but did you do the drive cycle as described in many other posts? It works, just takes time...and patience. Do you have an OBD reader so you can check the ready status?
Old 05-09-2018, 09:57 AM
bml376
Instructor

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the drive cycle has been completed multiple times. I think the next step is I'll try vg247's suggestion of going through a tank of gas with normal driving and seeing if that helps.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:14 PM
bml376
Instructor

Here is an update, in case this can help anyone else in the future. vg247's suggestion worked! However, I didn't drive enough to use up at tank of gas. In total, I used 1/4 tank and drove about 52 miles. This is what I did.

1. Drove the car (cold start) for about 9 miles in stop and go traffic
2. Fill up full tank of gas
3. Check OBD2 emissions readiness and still saw "EGR not ready"
4. Drove on the freeway, varying speeds between 50 - 73 mph, also got on and off the freeway to "rev the car out" to about 5500 rpm with sport mode enabled, did this for about 43 more miles through twisty mountain roads.
5. Stopped at a gas station and check OBD2 emissions readiness and finally EGR was ready.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:58 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dalancroft
Yeah, unlike Texas we don't just wantonly blast carbon into the atmosphere.
We like all of that carbon up there cuz we can see where our bullets are going when we wake up to shoot them just up in the air any old direction. It's how good Texan's greet each day and each other.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:26 PM
vg247
Pro

Here is an update, in case this can help anyone else in the future. vg247's suggestion worked! However, I didn't drive enough to use up at tank of gas. In total, I used 1/4 tank and drove about 52 miles. This is what I did.

1. Drove the car (cold start) for about 9 miles in stop and go traffic
2. Fill up full tank of gas
3. Check OBD2 emissions readiness and still saw "EGR not ready"
4. Drove on the freeway, varying speeds between 50 - 73 mph, also got on and off the freeway to "rev the car out" to about 5500 rpm with sport mode enabled, did this for about 43 more miles through twisty mountain roads.
5. Stopped at a gas station and check OBD2 emissions readiness and finally EGR was ready.
big congrats, glad it worked out ..and with less gas and miles driven - thanks for sharing the outcome
Old 07-13-2018, 12:47 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I don't "trust" any dealer or indy. No, I am not cranky or cynical, but I have enough experience over the years to know these dealers don't always understand the complexity of these cars especially when it comes to software. While they have Porsche training, they still learn on your car. This stuff is just way too complex.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Gunter is solid. He came from the ground up. Used to own his own shop and the man is a walking bible on Porsche. While I can't offer the same recommendation for other dealers, but I can vouch for Gunter.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Smog Nightmare and Issues - help most appreciated