Sponsored by:

Alcantara

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 03:56 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Alcantara

So, I'm in the process of changing out some trim to Alcantara plus perhaps painting a few pieces here and there. Chances are it will all look like crap when I'm done but I enjoy experimenting ...

Anyway, for those of you with Alcantara (glovebox or anywhere else ... steering wheel/knee trim) is there any cushion to it? Our vinyl has a bit of give to it.

What's the plan of action here? Strip of the vinyl and glue on the Alcantara or is there something else that needs to be done. I can't imagine applying the Alcantara over existing vinyl.

Thoughts?
Old 06-26-2015, 02:40 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

I love Alcantara..... post your results!!!! I think two-tone seats with the center panels in say a black alcantara look fantastic.

Google "Porsche Alcantera Seats" and check images.... nice....

https://www.google.com/search?q=pors...=1832&bih=1160

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-26-2015, 02:57 PM
SF911TT
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Thinking down the road for you, here's some good Alcantara cleaner

Amazon.com: Sonax (206141) Upholstery and Alcantara Cleaner - 8.45 fl. oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Sonax (206141) Upholstery and Alcantara Cleaner - 8.45 fl. oz.: Automotive
Old 06-26-2015, 04:18 PM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SF911TT
Thinking down the road for you, here's some good Alcantara cleaner

Amazon.com: Sonax (206141) Upholstery and Alcantara Cleaner - 8.45 fl. oz.: Automotive
Thanks for the link on the Alcantara cleaner. I have been looking for something like this.

As for Alcantara, my car has 30K+ miles, and Alcantara seat inserts, steering wheel, parking break handle, headliner, etc all look like new.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:59 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Already have gt3 seats in there with the alcantara inserts. That's why I want to do the entire lower dash.

Bought a globe box and parts under the steering wheel off ebay. Can source real alcantara for about $100 but have no idea what to do with it.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:56 AM
Georound
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the last couple of weeks, I've been applying Alcantara to many of the interior parts.
Most of the parts, I just put over the leather. There are two types of Alcantara, panel and seat. The panel is thinner and more pliable, but shouldn't be used for seats.
The parts with leather stitching, I haven't messed with like the sides around the radio and the door armrests.
Glove box was easy. I covered over the leather on most parts. Other lower parts of the dash were pretty easy. Steering column surround was more difficult and the console was a pain with all the complex curves. I did need to make a couple of cuts that I'm going to stitch with red thread.
I bought a yard and a half of remnants and a full yard. Didn't need the full yard. Only thing that I might still do is the A pillar covers. I used 3M 77 spray adhesive.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:15 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Georound
I used 3M 77 spray adhesive.
Is that permanent or can you reverse it?
Old 06-27-2015, 11:24 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Pics pics pics
Old 06-29-2015, 02:15 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Blakecam, would you have us believe that your steering wheel is still fuzzy? Our GTS, coming up to 35000 miles, has a steering wheel that is almost as smooth as the proverbial baby's butt. Otherwise, seats, etc., are all still A-OK. What is NOT A-OK is the stitching on the driver's seat door side bolster. The threads are starting to fray. Looks bad.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:26 PM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Guy
Blakecam, would you have us believe that your steering wheel is still fuzzy? Our GTS, coming up to 35000 miles, has a steering wheel that is almost as smooth as the proverbial baby's butt. Otherwise, seats, etc., are all still A-OK. What is NOT A-OK is the stitching on the driver's seat door side bolster. The threads are starting to fray. Looks bad.
Old Guy, are you saying that I would lie about it just for kicks?

Old 06-29-2015, 09:53 PM
Georound
Instructor

Originally Posted by Smitten
Is that permanent or can you reverse it?
Well, after a few days to cure, I'm not sure. Initially, the material would pull off with some effort and Acetone would remove adhesive...and some of the soft touch paint if not careful. It felt a little like rubber cement. Might be a differnt story now. I'll get some pictures up. Not totally professional, but saved a couple of grand in parts by doing it myself. All started when a cell phone magnet with double sided tape pulled the paint off my leather glove box lid!
Old 06-29-2015, 11:59 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

To glue straight to the vinyl/leather or remove. Anyone remove the leather to add alcantara?

I got some samples and I'm thinking I need some padding under it or the original vinyl. It's pretty thin stuff.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile Blakecam rules

Hey, if your steering wheel is still fuzzy, great. I believe you, even without photos. Just recounting our experiences: the M3 Alcantara steering wheels go pilly before eventually shredding. Our M3 is on its second one. As I said, on the GTS the texture is all gone...wheel is smooth, even shiny here and there. My layman's opinion is that our body chemistry and how moist our hands get while driving must make a difference. Intense driving probably increases the issue. On the M3, for autocross and track days I wore Nomex driving gloves and on longer highway drives I wore leather BMW driving glovers. None of this an issue yet for the "virgin" GTS, but even when driving events start, the wheel is already smooth...not much in the way of Alcantara suede surface left to preserve.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Georound
Instructor

This 9002 Alcantara. Four evenings, 2 small cans of spray adhesive and about $100 worth of remnants.
The surround for the steering wheel needs to be reglued.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:18 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^

Quick Reply: Alcantara