997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VW Golf - For Real?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015 | 07:18 PM
rankoutsider
Advanced

mmm can't see the video as Flash is blocked.

I came out of a Mk6 Golf R which was heavily modified by APR here in Australia. It would easily outpace my 911 0-100km. With enough money you can get some pretty amazing (repeatable) performance.

As an aside check this article.
Old 05-30-2015 | 08:20 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

I've seen an old Rabbit at Slipstream last October doing the quarter mile in 9 seconds.
Old 05-31-2015 | 08:37 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Red face

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
I've seen an old Rabbit at Slipstream last October doing the quarter mile in 9 seconds.
Awesome. The GTI was obviously a set-up and the others let up when iy flew by. LOL

I say set up as in pre-planned, but still great.

tino
Old 05-31-2015 | 08:53 PM
Para82
Race Car

I modded my Shelby GT500 to 725 hp along with a $5,000 dollar Koni coilover/Griggs Racing suspension and there was literally nothing on the road that could get near it....not even a car length - every race put the other car in reverse and embarrassed the hell out of owners with very fast cars and superbikes.

Point is you can make any machine fast. I'm not surprised here..it's Germany.

I still much rather that slower GT3 regardless. Who cares who is faster, I learned it's really about what is more enjoyable to drive. Plenty of modded Z06's smoke me now on the track - I don't care, i'm having too much fun.
Old 06-01-2015 | 07:41 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Seems I just read a preview of the new Golf R. Didn't they report a 0-60 of under 5 secs? pretty cool stuff, too bad for the FWD setup. Maybe VW can do w FWD what Porsche has done w rear engine.
Old 06-01-2015 | 08:14 PM
rankoutsider
Advanced

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Seems I just read a preview of the new Golf R. Didn't they report a 0-60 of under 5 secs? pretty cool stuff, too bad for the FWD setup. Maybe VW can do w FWD what Porsche has done w rear engine.
So the Golf R is actually AWD. It uses a Haldex Controller.

As before, the power finds its way to all four corners via a six-speed manual gearbox (or an optional six-speed DSG dual-clutch automatic) and the latest version of VW’s 4Motion system, including Haldex’s fifth-generation multi-plate clutch and an updated suite of electronic aids.

The multi-plate clutch at the heart of the Golf R’s Haldex 5 all-wheel drive system is familiar enough, using an electro-hydraulic oil pump to engage and send almost 100 per cent of available torque to the rear axle when a control unit deems it necessary.

Volkswagen says that shorter response times and an optimisation of the amount of torque sent rearwards in “specific driving situations” (in other words, aggressive cornering) has helped the R to achieve a more neutral handling balance.

The manufacturer also claims pseudo transverse differential locks on both axles to go with the longitudinal one by virtue of the electronic differential system (EDS), integrated into the stability control, that brakes a slipping inside wheel, letting drive make its way uninterrupted to the opposite side.

Known as four-wheel EDS, the system is enhanced on the Golf R (as it was on the Golf GTI) with the inclusion of XDS+, essentially a cleverer line of software code that works to minimise understeer and thereby improve agility.

Additionally – and notably, because it cannot be performed in the GTI or any other Golf – the electronic stability control can be fully deactivated in the R if the ESC button is held for three seconds.
Old 06-01-2015 | 10:03 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

I looked for a Golf R after the WSJ article came out, but I understand they only had one per dealership. Are they more common now?
Old 06-01-2015 | 11:42 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sclemmons
I looked for a Golf R after the WSJ article came out, but I understand they only had one per dealership. Are they more common now?
First 500 was the preorder units. Then followed by about 500 units allocated to dealers nationwide (so about 1 per dealer, some get none!).

All are 4Dr and DSG only. Pretty much all were sold before they hit dealerships. The 2016 models will have more availability, but still hard to get your hands on one. Hopefully the 2Dr and 6MT are available on the 2016 models sooner rather than later in production.
Old 06-02-2015 | 10:32 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=rankoutsider;12326842]So the Golf R is actually AWD. It uses a Haldex Controller.

OK. My mistake. Nice car.
Old 06-03-2015 | 01:30 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Originally Posted by Para82
I modded my Shelby GT500 to 725 hp along with a $5,000 dollar Koni coilover/Griggs Racing suspension and there was literally nothing on the road that could get near it....not even a car length - every race put the other car in reverse and embarrassed the hell out of owners with very fast cars and superbikes.
Same here, and it's a hoot to drive but I've pushed it a bit over 725 to the edge of adhesion. Really fun car! My TT exotic is into 4 digit horsepower and it's insane. Yet....I'll leave the 911 stock because it's just a really good all around car and I haven't found the desire to mess with anything on it other then a few minor things - Exhaust note and some better BT integration. I've had the car for a year now and I'm still duly impressed by the sum of the parts, the total package.

Quick Reply: VW Golf - For Real?