Steering wheel exchange

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 08:13 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LaurenceG
Thanks for all of the info
Are we sure that reprogramming won't be required?
Remember that I will be exchanging a multifunction wheel for a wheel without multifunction capacity.
I did this on two 997.1's (swap MF triangular for round sport) and no programming needed. Tech will just tuck the MF wires away.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:24 PM
LaurenceG
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you very much
Old 05-18-2015, 05:13 PM
pavster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
You design the wheel and they build it. You can get regular leather, perforated leather, alcantara or a combination of those. You can also specify color, thickness, molding, flat or round bottom, deviated stitching and colored stripe at the top. I'm sure there's more you can do but those are probably the most common items.

I've bought two from Dallas Custom. The craftsmanship is excellent and I personally think the quality of the leather is better than stock. They typically ask for a core exchange which cuts the price in half but I bought one without an exchange and it was still less than a stock wheel from Suncoast. Some people freak out about anything that doesn't come from the factory but again.....these are built on OEM cores so all they do is improve on what you're holding in your hands. I will never have a stock steering wheel in a Porsche again.

Those look great. I ordered a wheel from them a couple of days ago - will report back. I also used to want a triangular -> round swap first couple of years of ownership, but the triangle has grown on me. The center part of the round wheel doesn't look centered to me, which I know would drive me crazy. It's not as bad as some lambos or cadillacs, but still bothers me.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel exchange