Sponsored by:

CPO car w/ tires that should have been replaced

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 10:21 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SnP
I'm not convinced dealers do anything as part of the CPO process other than check the car fax and wash the car.
I think it depends on the dealer. When I purchased a CPO Boxster Spyder the dealer held up delivery because the MOL Battery had been replaced with an Interstate Battery. Part of the process required that they replace it with the factory battery again.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:58 AM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CPO car w/ tires that should have been replaced

For CPO they definitely run through the Porsche provided checklist, but some techs are better than others. When I took the car in today service writer immediately acknowledged that they were in the wrong and couldn't believe it. We all make mistakes though, so as long as I pick the car up with no bill today I will be happy. they're also doing a map update for me.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:42 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

For the premium you pay for CPO the tires should definitely have 80% tread or better. My dealer told me recently that Porsche has a 6-year cutoff on tire age, so that fact is confirmed.

I bought my (non-CPO) car about 6 weeks ago from a dealer in CT. As the OP said, there's a lot of information to synthesize when buying, especially when dealing from a distance in which case you will likely only see the car once (as I did).

Major systems all checked out and we did the deal, but I picked up a nail on the drive home and had to add air twice just to get home (nice, right?). I went to my local dealer for a repair the next day and they discovered the so-called new Michelin PS2s were from 2008, past Porsche's expiration date. Also, the rears were 305s on Sport Design wheels (should be 295). After some insistence on my part I was able to get the dealer to pay for one new rear tire plus balancing and I replaced them all with Pilot SS. For a CPO car they are definitely treating you right by replacing all 4.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:46 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

Definitely some dealers are better than others when it comes to a CPO. I think if you go in thinking it's really just a warranty against mechanical issues down the road you'll be fine.

Other than that, especially for paint quality and other blemishes you're on your own to make sure things are to your standards.

Tires so seem to be a recurring theme though as I had tire issues with my CPO as well.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:52 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by rjshar
For CPO they definitely run through the Porsche provided checklist, but some techs are better than others. When I took the car in today service writer immediately acknowledged that they were in the wrong and couldn't believe it. We all make mistakes though, so as long as I pick the car up with no bill today I will be happy. they're also doing a map update for me.
That's great. It's nice to hear someone make good without a fight.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:41 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

OK, here's the final scoop. The dealer gave me 4 new PSS tires, mount, balance, and alignment at no cost to me. I think this was a very equitable settlement and am very happy with the out come. I would definitely do business with this dealer again and want to give a shout out to David Stone the sales manager at Porsche of Orlando for being so accommodating and making this situation right, after the fact of the sale. I think this really speaks to their integrity as they obviously could have easily said no way and not even entertained my request. Also, Anthony, my service writer was exceeding helpful and competent and I will absolutely request to work with him when I go into this dealer for service in the future.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:47 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Caughtacab911
For the premium you pay for CPO the tires should definitely have 80% tread or better. My dealer told me recently that Porsche has a 6-year cutoff on tire age, so that fact is confirmed.

I bought my (non-CPO) car about 6 weeks ago from a dealer in CT. As the OP said, there's a lot of information to synthesize when buying, especially when dealing from a distance in which case you will likely only see the car once (as I did).

Major systems all checked out and we did the deal, but I picked up a nail on the drive home and had to add air twice just to get home (nice, right?). I went to my local dealer for a repair the next day and they discovered the so-called new Michelin PS2s were from 2008, past Porsche's expiration date. Also, the rears were 305s on Sport Design wheels (should be 295). After some insistence on my part I was able to get the dealer to pay for one new rear tire plus balancing and I replaced them all with Pilot SS. For a CPO car they are definitely treating you right by replacing all 4.
Wow, catching a nail on your way home... that'd be horrible. I'm definitely thankful that I was able to work with a dealer that was willing to step up to the plate to protect their brand. They didn't seem too concerned about the age of the tires though, and the most recent CPO checklist I could find online is from 06' which has definitely been revised since then. I have to check my documents at home and will let you know what my CPO checklist states for tire specs and if it has anything pertaining to age.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:00 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by rjshar
OK, here's the final scoop. The dealer gave me 4 new PSS tires, mount, balance, and alignment at no cost to me. I think this was a very equitable settlement and am very happy with the out come. I would definitely do business with this dealer again and want to give a shout out to David Stone the sales manager at Porsche of Orlando for being so accommodating and making this situation right, after the fact of the sale. I think this really speaks to their integrity as they obviously could have easily said no way and not even entertained my request. Also, Anthony, my service writer was exceeding helpful and competent and I will absolutely request to work with him when I go into this dealer for service in the future.
Is that Anthony person you referred to a recent addition to the staff of the dealer? I ask because my dealer lost a very good employee, with the name of Anthony, when he left and moved to Florida to work at a dealership there.

If it is the same guy he definitely is very helpful and competent and you are very lucky to have him at your dealer there.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:17 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

It's good to hear that everything went so smoothly! Congrats on the favorable results.

I took a look at my CPO paperwork from 2013. Actually the tire requirements at that time list only tread depth across the entire width and no longer seems to have anything about age, even the same age, brand, etc. info in the previous doc I referenced is gone. Interesting.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:23 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Is that Anthony person you referred to a recent addition to the staff of the dealer? I ask because my dealer lost a very good employee, with the name of Anthony, when he left and moved to Florida to work at a dealership there.

If it is the same guy he definitely is very helpful and competent and you are very lucky to have him at your dealer there.
I don't think its the same one since this guy said he'd been there for 8 years. That has to be terrible, losing a go to service writer. I haven't had much luck working with other dealers thus far, but my Indie in Miami is incredible and I'm actually looking forward to taking my car back to him for any routine service.

Quick Reply: CPO car w/ tires that should have been replaced