Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your opinions on a Ferrari purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015 | 10:47 PM
Para82
Race Car

Default Need your opinions on a Ferrari purchase

So i'm looking to switch things up a little in the garage. The Boss302 has been an awesome car, now while it's still worth decent money i'm looking to sell it into something new.

Main contender is a 2002-2004 Ferrari Modena 360. I think they have an almost vintage looking body, much prefer them to how a 458 looks.

My older brother (also a carnut) is telling to pull the trigger on the Ferrari. I could even get a 1 or 2 year warranty for about 2k.

Tempting...
Old 04-27-2015 | 10:57 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I've thought about them too. I think the F360 is the first of the "modern" looking Ferraris. Personally, I would lean towards a manual transmission over the F1 transmission. I'd also rather have an F430, but they are quite a step up in price. Do your homework, be careful and don't buy based purely on emotion. I'd love to own a Ferrari and I plan to own one at some point in the future. I say go for it!
Old 04-27-2015 | 11:00 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

What other cars do you have in your garage? Is this to be a DD, weekend fun car, etc? I love Ferrari, but I don't think a majority of owners DD them. Depending on where you live, Ferrari attract a lot of attention - some find that a big minus. Any interest in an F430? It came between the Modena and Italia. Has more power than former, cost less than the latter. I'd also recommend Ferrari chat as a good resource on the 360 if you go that route, what to look for in a PPI, common maintenance issues, etc. Good luck in the hunt....T
Old 04-27-2015 | 11:01 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Be sure to keep plenty of funds available for service and maintenance. As in five figures...

Going from a Mustang to Ferrari is quite a step...$2K for extended warranty for 1-2 years would be tremendous bargain...read the fine print. Sounds too good to be true.
Old 04-27-2015 | 11:02 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Might be worth reading this.... Just in case....

http://jalopnik.com/owning-a-ferrari...ent-1668355120
Old 04-28-2015 | 12:34 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360...-engineer.html

Set your sites on the F430. It uses chain drive for the cams rather than cam belts which require an expensive service.
Old 04-28-2015 | 12:45 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360...-engineer.html

Set your sites on the F430. It uses chain drive for the cams rather than cam belts which require an expensive service.
Having just read about the reasons the jalopnik guy got rid of his 360, I'm curious to hear why you sold the 430?
Old 04-28-2015 | 01:00 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Having just read about the reasons the jalopnik guy got rid of his 360, I'm curious to hear why you sold the 430?
Did you read my post on Fchat? I got tired of playing the sucker, paying outrageous prices for parts and sevice to keep a nearly new car in top shape. As a mechanical engineer and consumer, I felt my intelligence was being insulted time and time again. Compared to a Ferrari, a Porsche is as durable and reliable as an anvil. Porsche prices are high, but Ferrari prices are ludicrous. 9 out of 10 Ferrari owners seem to take some pride in the high cost. They want to wear it as some badge of honor. They say you have to pay to play. There is no question I could afford a Ferrari, I just didn't like being treated like a sucker instead of a customer.
Old 04-28-2015 | 02:29 AM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

If you get an F360, make sure you install a Capristo exhaust. Good god does it sound amazing
Old 04-28-2015 | 02:39 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Consider going even back in time...such as a 348 Series Speciale. I found driving a Ferrari to be great pleasure and sliding the shifter through the metal gate was uniquely fun. I had a plain Jane 308...bought if with 88k miles, sold it 3 years later with 124k. It was my DD and was worth the experience.
Old 04-28-2015 | 02:46 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

The 360 has many issues still the f1 transmission being one of them. The f430 has e diff issues... If you want a reliable Ferrari go with a 550 or 599. Btw I verified this with a friend who is the service manager of a certain Ferrari dealership in Vegas.
I thought about a Ferrari, went with a Porsche.. I enjoy my anvil garage queen. I had a rare lotus cup 260. I don't need a needy car and overpriced junk again.
Btw consider a new z06 vette if your going down the ferrari path or stop and look at a gallardo which are more reliable still.
Old 04-28-2015 | 03:38 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
Did you read my post on Fchat? I got tired of playing the sucker, paying outrageous prices for parts and sevice to keep a nearly new car in top shape. As a mechanical engineer and consumer, I felt my intelligence was being insulted time and time again. Compared to a Ferrari, a Porsche is as durable and reliable as an anvil. Porsche prices are high, but Ferrari prices are ludicrous. 9 out of 10 Ferrari owners seem to take some pride in the high cost. They want to wear it as some badge of honor. They say you have to pay to play. There is no question I could afford a Ferrari, I just didn't like being treated like a sucker instead of a customer.
Makes sense. I would feel the same way. What I never understood is how Ferrari has consistently built the most dependable, successful F1 cars in history while their street cars always struggled with a poor reputation for mechanical reliability. Given the punishment the F1 cars endure with ease you'd think they could transfer some of that ruggedness to the street cars.
Old 04-28-2015 | 08:02 AM
BBA
Former Vendor

If you do, avoid the F1 gearbox. I had a Maserati Coupe with the same transmission, it was TERRIBLE. Plus a clutch job is $6k+ and they only last 20-30k.
Old 04-28-2015 | 08:13 AM
eflight
Rennlist Member

One of the guys in our Porsche Sunday get together has an older Ferrari

The point he makes whenever someone suggest getting one is to find out when its next minor and major maintenance period is, how soon that will be after purchase and how much that will actually cost. He reminds people that the price they will hear is the lowest the cost will be, and that if parts are needed it may go up considerably.

He mentioned that some of the better cars actually sell for a lower price because of the approaching major maintenance bills.

To me they sound like a hot supermodel that never wants to fool around, eye candy to make your friends jealous but in truth they are high maintenance you get little enjoyment out of them
Old 04-28-2015 | 09:05 AM
Eli355
Instructor

I have had 2 Ferrari's The first a 1999 355 Fiorano with f1 transmission in resale red. A fantastic raw car that was fantastic to drive. As a result of doing too much reading I became too afraid to drive it for fear of crazy prices to repair. I heard ghosts every time I had it out. It received tons of attention with its classic looks. I traded it for a black/black 2003 575m, a v12 known for its reliability and drivability. In black it attracts far less attention, I don't see ghosts anymore. I still own the car, drive it sparingly and to special events simply because it is unique. I just acquired a 2007 911. I feel this car is fantastic and I am comfortable driving it regularly and for any occasion. It gets far less attention and so far does not bring out the insanity of those around me. I am careful what I read because I began to find myself slipping down the IMS bearing hole. I recently had dinner with a porsche mechanic friend who asked. "Are you going to do the bearing". When I said no heg very quiet as if to say wow your nut, that car could be destroyed. I am chooosing to ignor this most minor risk. All in all the are both great cars, fantastic to drive and I feel blesses to have them both.

Quick Reply: Need your opinions on a Ferrari purchase