April 2 North SF Bay Area Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 09:11 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts
Default April 2 North SF Bay Area Excursion

With all this babble about engine reliability, whether a cab is better than a coupe, stupid drivers (sheesh...aren't all drivers stupid / poorly skilled except us Porsche pilots?! That being said, I'm feeling for ya, Little Green...ugh), not to say anything about a thread titled "delete", a number of RLers are heading out on Thursday (April 2) to see exactly how reliable the flat 6 is; the following is the intended route:

Leg 1 (Terra Linda > Geyserville)
http://goo.gl/r3Uqsm

Leg 2 (Geyserville > Santa Rosa)
https://goo.gl/maps/5bSTX

Leg 3 (Santa Rosa > Mill Valley)
http://goo.gl/EOb1rt

Meet-up location: Terra Linda (San Rafael) Chevron:
http://goo.gl/w7PaCG

Meet-up time: 6:30-6:45AM

Lunch will be at:
Daviola
21021 Geyserville Ave,
Geyserville, CA 95441
http://www.diavolapizzeria.com/

Leg 2 and 3 are tentative. We'll be taking a lunch break at Daviola in Geyserville and will re-evaluate based on time.

Participating: (4 x 997) + (1 x 993).

If any SF Bay Area Porsche (air or h20 cooled...they are all good to me!) pilots want to participate, raise your hand now or forever be stuck masturbating about the aforementioned subjects.

Last edited by david; 04-01-2015 at 10:13 PM. Reason: addit info
Old 04-02-2015, 05:14 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Had to work today :/ down for a weekend drive with you guys though!!
Old 04-02-2015, 07:15 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Unfortunately, I had to split from the group midway. Here's a beauty shot we took at Bodega Head. I'm sure Dan will have many more.
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2015, 12:03 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Joe, Jeremy ... It was great meeting both of you. Joe, Dan ... You missed a great ride. 289 miles on my trip meter as I pulled into my office in Petaluma this afternoon. Fantastic people, day, roads, views, driving, time. Joe ... Hope you feel better soon.

Take care everybody. Looking forward to next time.

Trying to add attachments but getting system crashes. Sometimes the pictures post and sometimes ... We'll see!
Attached Images   
Old 04-03-2015, 12:27 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Joe: good to see you again; I know the next time will be more enjoyable...

Dan: very glad that you were able to breakaway and lead the first part of the drive! Did I mention that I could hear you loud and clear while playing sweeper?! As Joe suggested, looking forward to seeing the group pic...

Jeremy: great to meet you! It was great smelling burning oil of a real 911; it has been a while! And we won't bother making everyone envious by letting them know about the extra ~35 miles that we took down the coast and up/down Mt. Tam. (That said, I'm totally fried!)

Wayne: you said it all ("Fantastic people, day, roads, views, driving, time.") well maybe you almost said it all: how about those burgers?! YUM!!!

I'll need a few days to post pics...it is payback time now trying to catch up with work...
Old 04-03-2015, 12:39 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Extra 35 miles? And I turned around and went to the office? Yeah, those were exceptional burgers!
Old 04-03-2015, 11:44 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys. I may have been precipitous in cutting my drive short, but better safe than sorry. That very spirited driving on the first leg did aggravate the whiplash, but ibuprofen and heating pad calmed things down pretty quickly. Maybe, next time, I'll wear a neck brace!
Old 04-03-2015, 12:46 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Thanks, guys. I may have been precipitous in cutting my drive short, but better safe than sorry. That very spirited driving on the first leg did aggravate the whiplash, but ibuprofen and heating pad calmed things down pretty quickly. Maybe, next time, I'll wear a neck brace!
Yup I believe that you did the right thing, Joe, as the Annapolis and Stewart's Points roads would have put the real big hurt on you (although I suspect the burgers would have helped relieve some of that pain!)

I got up while it was dark and thought that I'd wash the C4S (there was some nasty road oil on the fat ****) and halfway through I sliced my finger on the spoiler and discovered that it is difficult to wash a car with one hand (and the other in dripping red bandages!), however it is done and to reward myself, I processed 2 pics: 1 from the very beginning and 1 from the end...

BTW, unsure if you noticed that during the run through Walker Canyon, Dan's brut woke up that herd of cows and they were high-tailing it up the hill! As Dan would say, "GOOD TIMES!!!"
Attached Images   
Old 04-03-2015, 01:18 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, yeah. I saw those t-bone steaks hightailing it. But also saw the calf enjoying the view. Young us know good stuff.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Nice photos and cars!
Old 04-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

David - Thanks again for coordinating this drive. It was a blast and just what I needed to get some distance from all the chaos going on in life. As you said at one point during the trip, driving at speed really forces the driver to focus on the moment and the present. There's something very zen about driving a Porsche at speed through winding country roads...

Dan and Joe - Good meeting you both and next time we'll certainly have to coax you into continuing further northward!

Wayne - It was a pleasure driving and talking with you. Those burgers were tasty! I hope your 997 didn't have too much of a burnt oil film on it from my old polluter. As for the last 35 miles, you only missed out on the most scenic view of the day (see David's photo a few posts above)

'Til next time gentlemen!
Old 04-03-2015, 05:14 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Here are a few pics that I snapped with my iPhone during the run. Others had far better camera equipment on hand.

I think I should title that second picture "Whale watching"
Old 04-03-2015, 06:08 PM
AlexKeyWest
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three of the five have no front plate. Don't you get stopped for that in CA?
Old 04-03-2015, 06:50 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Rarely do they pull a car over for not having the plate. Often they will ticket the car when parked, but that depends on what area you are in and where you park. Some of us just live on the wild side like that.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:05 PM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Drove my 911 yesterday here in DC. 72 and sunny for the first time in a looooong time. Looking at your beautiful pics make me really look forward to the warm weather coming in May. I was in OC, CA for biz this week and seriously wondered why I am slogging it through the East Coast winters. Fun and thanks for sharing the pics!

Quick Reply: April 2 North SF Bay Area Excursion