Sponsored by:

April 2 North SF Bay Area Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 07:38 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
David - Thanks again for coordinating this drive. It was a blast and just what I needed to get some distance from all the chaos going on in life. As you said at one point during the trip, driving at speed really forces the driver to focus on the moment and the present. There's something very zen about driving a Porsche at speed through winding country roads...

Dan and Joe - Good meeting you both and next time we'll certainly have to coax you into continuing further northward!

Wayne - It was a pleasure driving and talking with you. Those burgers were tasty! I hope your 997 didn't have too much of a burnt oil film on it from my old polluter. As for the last 35 miles, you only missed out on the most scenic view of the day (see David's photo a few posts above)

'Til next time gentlemen!
Oil on my car? How could I tell with all the bugs and dirt? And you just had to twist the knife regarding that last 35 miles? Looks beautiful, and I know that Mt Tamalpais drive well! Ugh, I'm bleeding here. Next time, I don't leave until you leave!

My garage is open (the filled part is temporary) if you're ever needing some DIY therapy.

Last edited by Wayne Smith; 04-03-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:22 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Jeremy: love the "Whale Watching" caption (and pic)!

I've decided to leave the front plate on the C4S because I was that rare occasion when I was pulled over by a local San Rafael LEO for no front plate in my SC.

Daydreaming about the next long drive...in the meantime, more pics.
Attached Images           
Old 04-04-2015, 07:35 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

And more pics...
Attached Images           
Old 04-05-2015, 11:51 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Echoing the already posted comments ... great pics (a few look like they could be adverts for the brand). Looks like fun would be interested to join on a next run schedule depending ...
Old 04-06-2015, 09:43 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by stronbl
Echoing the already posted comments ... great pics (a few look like they could be adverts for the brand). Looks like fun would be interested to join on a next run schedule depending ...
Thanks for the compliment; I'll put you on a list for the next run...please PM me and let me know your typical availability.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

hey dudes! Sorry for the late chime-back! I had an awesome time with you all on Thursday - sorry I didn't get to take very many pix because my go pedal had some hustle on it - and the view from the front was mostly just "clean air" (lol) - but here are a few from my stint.

David - Love your pix man, you managed to frame up some good ones while rolling, so that's a testament to your ever increasing skill set. Love the portrait of Wayne and Jeremy with the 3 whips. Also, that whale tail grid shot reminds me of some classic german architecture photography!

Moments I especially enjoyed were watching the temps dip into the low 30's with the top down, the cattle stampede, a few amazing sweepers along the way, and hustling along walker creek.

Thankfully we only had the one Prius in the morning at Bodega Head and the little Jaguar which somehow managed to hold you guys all up? ((Wink Emoji))

Wish I could have joined for the last leg of the tour, (the 35 Miler - because you know I love me some Tam to Ridgecrest at the EOD!!!)

Here are some images:

And a color version to mix it up:

This last one was my view probably as you two were storming back down the mountain that night. If you listen closely you can almost hear the 993 & the 997 symphony across Richardson Bay.

Jeremy, it was great to meet you - Joe, thanks for coming all the way up to meet us so early. Wayne & David - until the next time, rubber side down, hopefully I'll see you all again real soon.

Good times, - Dan
Old 04-06-2015, 11:55 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

You take that last shot as I was heading off 101? Needed to get some ibu into myself before getting home. Every expansion joint on 101 sent a shock through my skull.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Yea, I popped that one on the way by, came out alright. I had wondered if the freeway might actually be worse for your neck than taking the 116 back down and through some of the recently paved back-roads, but I think it worked out. We made pretty good time getting back. I rolled up exactly "on time" at the studio...
Old 04-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Oh also, someone had mentioned about front plates- mine has one, it's just tucked neatly under the front bumper. If I go to the city or somewhere that LE seems really focused on those type of infractions, I pop it up. It sits just left of center when it's up:

It's not sexy but it works:

So far no trouble.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:06 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

What kit did you use for the license plate install, or is it homemade?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Joe I have the hide-the-plate

www.hidetheplate.com - I got the remote control motorized one, but I've shaved the motor off it twice digging into some steep turns or big bumps on the mountain, so the non electric would have been the smarter choice. I liked the remote while it worked, but it's not (overall) very well built, kind of flimsy & plasticky.

I would love to have the time to design & fabricate a good one because the concept is great. Here's a crappy little iPhone video from when it worked like new...

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g439/danconnortown/Porsche/IMG_2461_zpsec71154f.mp4
If i had it to do again probably one of the Millworks tow hook plate holders would be just fine and better overall quality.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:50 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I have a tow hook mounting bracket. This just seems more convenient. Maybe not.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:05 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Nice shots Dan! I still haven't mastered your over-the-shoulder while leading abilities...wondering if I'll need a Cab to ever feel confident to give it a go?!

Thanks for the compliments...very meaningful from you! Susan looked at Jeremy's whale tail shot and asked if we went into The City!

I wish that you were driving sweeper after we parted ways: there were so many photo ops...perhaps next time...

I forgot to mention that we passed a number of Porsches and almost all returned the flash (except a Panamera...go figure) which gave us a charge as their pilots heads whipped to see (and hear) us pass...great fun!

And yup that Jag held us up but I gotta confess that when I heard you make a move, I thought that I'd follow but remembered that there were a few brothers in front of me...but that should give you an indication of how much closer you sounded (than actually were!)

One Q: aren't you gonna post the great panoramic shot of the motley crew?! (Purdy please)

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
hey dudes! Sorry for the late chime-back! I had an awesome time with you all on Thursday - sorry I didn't get to take very many pix because my go pedal had some hustle on it - and the view from the front was mostly just "clean air" (lol) - but here are a few from my stint.

David - Love your pix man, you managed to frame up some good ones while rolling, so that's a testament to your ever increasing skill set. Love the portrait of Wayne and Jeremy with the 3 whips. Also, that whale tail grid shot reminds me of some classic german architecture photography!

Moments I especially enjoyed were watching the temps dip into the low 30's with the top down, the cattle stampede, a few amazing sweepers along the way, and hustling along walker creek.

Thankfully we only had the one Prius in the morning at Bodega Head and the little Jaguar which somehow managed to hold you guys all up? ((Wink Emoji))

Wish I could have joined for the last leg of the tour, (the 35 Miler - because you know I love me some Tam to Ridgecrest at the EOD!!!)

Jeremy, it was great to meet you - Joe, thanks for coming all the way up to meet us so early. Wayne & David - until the next time, rubber side down, hopefully I'll see you all again real soon.

Good times, - Dan
Old 04-07-2015, 03:11 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Beautiful photos, both David and Dan. I always enjoy what you put together. Thanks for the share!
Old 04-07-2015, 03:41 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

ask and YE SHALL RECEIVE:

maybe on the next time I can be mid or rear pack and grab more shots. I would have loved to stop for a few on the way up the hill and over toward Tomales, but as is always the way with these things... stop and make photographs or stay on The Go-Pedal while all the Priuses and Honda Odysseys are parked at home waiting for their owners to finish downloading the latest KQED / NPR podcasts for their morning commute?

(Always choose The Go-Pedal)

One of these times I will have to get behind my car to hear it. hahaha I can only imagine, as I'm always seated (even with the top down) several feet in front, ahead the pipes.

Quick Reply: April 2 North SF Bay Area Excursion