Sponsored by:

997 Electrical Wiring Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:21 PM
SSARUK
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Electrical Wiring Issue

I have a 2006 997 C4S, I was driving the other day and all of a sudden smoke started coming up from the dashboard, I pulled over and turn the car off and then restarted it. It was fine for a while but it continued to happen and eventually my Instrument Cluster fuse went, I replaced the fuse and the Cluster was fine. I have now removed the driver side lower dash, instrument cluster, several other parts and I found the burnt wire (brown & grey). The wire got so hot that it melted the plastic coating the whole length of the wire, burnt thru the insulation tape, split/ cut the wire and also melted a bit of the wiring around it (I believe that's why the instrument cluster fuse went). I traced the wire from the firewall going into the front trunk (inside the cab, under dash) to a splice point (see photo below), the plastic coating was completely melted off the wire all the way to the splice point, once it went into the splice point it stopped. Before I disconnected the battery and started to disassemble the dash, etc., I didn't notice that anything wasn't working. I tracked down the wiring diagrams and found that there are 5 components that have a brown and grey wire:

1. Engine Compartment Light
2. Tilt Sensor
3. Ignition Lock Contact 4
4. Power Seat Motor - LV
5. Parking Brake Contact

If anyone has had a similar issue or has any tips to help me find and resolve the problem it would truly be appreciated,

As of now I am planning on repairing (taping) the miscellaneous damaged wires and reconnecting the battery to determine which component is not working. There is a wire guide/ channel above the fuse box(Part # 997 610 20100 (see photo below)) that is in my way, does any one know how to remove it??

Thanks for taking the time to read my story and any help would be appreciated,
Attached Images      
Old 03-27-2015, 01:01 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

You need this ...

Name:  smoke.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  35.9 KB
Old 03-27-2015, 04:26 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

That splice point looks aftermarket. Are you the original owner of the car? Do you have any non-OEM electronics installed?
Old 03-27-2015, 06:58 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My first question - what's aftermarket on the car?
Old 03-27-2015, 01:15 PM
SSARUK
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the car 3 years ago, last year I installed the GT3/ RS body kit including spoiler. Other than that the car is stock. When I insert the key I get the "Brake Warning Light (Spoiler)" and "Failure Spoiler Control" as the spoiler is now stationary and doesn't have a brake light. Last night I was working on the issue I traced the wire from the inside of the cab to the firewall (see photo below) just before it goes into the trunk, I exposed all the wires in the trunk and could not find the brown & grey wire, does anyone know where the wire might go? I originally thought it was going to the TILT SENSOR but I did some reading and I guess US vehicles don't have tilt sensors.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:13 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,454 Likes on 4,115 Posts

That splice definitely looks aftermarket. Anything like an automatic DRL module, front led lights, 3rd radiator with a pump or fan, front end lift kit, etc.

Use a friends Durametric Pro and you can disable the Active Aero option which will get rid of the spoiler failure messages. You may need to tape the switches closed as well.

Quick Reply: 997 Electrical Wiring Issue