Stupid drivers

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 04:48 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
It's illegal to dial or text in ontario....
Great. So, how is this enforced? Officer pulls you over, says you were texting. You say - no way, Mr. Officer - I was futzing with the radio or some such excuse. You word versus theirs? Or, do they go to your cell provider & pull your records?
T
Old 03-26-2015, 05:38 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Great. So, how is this enforced? Officer pulls you over, says you were texting. You say - no way, Mr. Officer - I was futzing with the radio or some such excuse. You word versus theirs? Or, do they go to your cell provider & pull your records?
T

"To observe and collect"
They see you, they give you a ticket, they make monthly quota. Easy.

To me it would be an easy ticket to give if I was a cop. Just last week, Going north up Avenue road, 2 lanes, plus parking on the side. A cop car was in my blind spot, over my right shoulder. Lady in a big white benz truck rolled through a stop sign, almost into traffic. B00M go the lights on the cruiser, and he's on the loud speaker. Gave him a thumbs up

A vehicle travelling at 60mph is covering 88 feet per second. Thus the o/p curbage issue.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:50 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks. Hope it works. That's a quota I'd be happy to see filled. Texas ain't no diff, a lot of people driving around here not paying attention....T
Old 03-26-2015, 06:02 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

To the OP: In your scenario, unfortunately, its your word vs. hers. Cops will do nothing, as you can't prove anything.

I suggest a GoPro or other type of small camera mounted at your windshield. With one, you could prove and document what happened, and the cops would have what they need to write her a fat traffic ticket and she'd also need to pay for 2 new wheels for you as well
Old 03-26-2015, 11:55 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

As I mentioned earlier I actually have a dash cam(event recorder) under my desk.
Will put it in this weekend
Old 03-27-2015, 08:46 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
That sucks, that is why I drive with one hand on the horn. If everyone drive manual transmission cars than this would not be an issue. You don't have spare hands to be distracted.
Definitely!
Old 03-27-2015, 10:58 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

You think it's dangerous out there in a car? Try riding a bicycle. I put in 10 to 15K miles a year and it's just a matter of providence that I haven't been killed by some asshat not paying attention. At least in your car (or when I'm in my car) , it's 3,000+ pounds and there is a fair amount of steel and safety equipment protecting you - unlike a 12 pound CF bike and lycra/spandex. (People seem to hate bikes even more than 911s; maybe because they inconvenience them for about three seconds. OTOH, while on my bike some guy cut me off last week, saw it coming, had to brake hard and on the grand scheme of close calls it didn't even phase me. The guy, stopped, turned around, caught up with me and apologized for about a minute. In 20+ years in the saddle I've seen all manner of crazy things but that is the first time that ever happened.)
Old 03-28-2015, 01:46 AM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

So very true and the same applies to a motorcycle, Sport Bike or Cruiser, idiots everwhere nearly running into the back of you at a stop light, changing lanes and nearly taking the front tire off, changing lanes and then hitting the brakes in front of you. The list goes on and you are right, with bikes and motorcycles, its far worse.

However, I can also say that while I have a lot of respect and use extreme caution around bicyclist, I have had my fair share of morons on those too and certainly the same applies to guys on bikes, especially younger riders or the trouble maker Harley guy that just wants to ride lower than necessary and hold up traffice. With cyclist, the ones I have trouble with are where they have the bike lane and ride on the far outer edge almost into the car lane and they are alone. Move the hell over and ride in the middle of the bike lane so the car doesnt get pushed to the edge of the other car lane. Or three riders and they all have to ride side by side in the bike lane, now the one on the outside is not able to be in the bike lane so he is riding on the line, partially in the car lane. Pick a lane, you are either in the bike lane or in the car lane but there is no in between. Now as a biker and understanding cyclist, the list of what car drivers do is endless and i am usually cursing up a storm on their behalf too!

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
You think it's dangerous out there in a car? Try riding a bicycle. I put in 10 to 15K miles a year and it's just a matter of providence that I haven't been killed by some asshat not paying attention. At least in your car (or when I'm in my car) , it's 3,000+ pounds and there is a fair amount of steel and safety equipment protecting you - unlike a 12 pound CF bike and lycra/spandex. (People seem to hate bikes even more than 911s; maybe because they inconvenience them for about three seconds. OTOH, while on my bike some guy cut me off last week, saw it coming, had to brake hard and on the grand scheme of close calls it didn't even phase me. The guy, stopped, turned around, caught up with me and apologized for about a minute. In 20+ years in the saddle I've seen all manner of crazy things but that is the first time that ever happened.)
Old 03-28-2015, 03:30 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stuff like this is why I bought a dash cam recently.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
People may hate bikers because they often weave inches apart around cars at high speed and come from nowhere without warning...
Old 03-28-2015, 09:23 PM
robh75
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is very disturbing. Especially for a cyclist. Half of these morons would have plowed over a cyclist before they even knew what happened. I had one very close call on my bike where an oncoming car swung wide into my lane and forced me off the road and completely flipped head over heels on my bike. And they didn't even stop to see if I was OK.

And per the earlier comment on why drivers hate cyclists, I can see how it would be annoying if bikers are weaving in and out in a city or straying from the bike lane. But many times when I am simply sharing a one lane road (with no shoulder) and staying as far right as possible, I still get honks or yells (almost seems like they are trying to scare me off my bike?) I think because they are inconvenienced to have to go around me. It is just sad how some people only think about themselves and have no consideration for others.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:51 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by robh75
And per the earlier comment on why drivers hate cyclists, I can see how it would be annoying if bikers are weaving in and out in a city or straying from the bike lane. But many times when I am simply sharing a one lane road (with no shoulder) and staying as far right as possible, I still get honks or yells (almost seems like they are trying to scare me off my bike?) I think because they are inconvenienced to have to go around me. It is just sad how some people only think about themselves and have no consideration for others.

I have no issue with that and I appreciate a well ridden bike. I refer to bikers who on freeways filled with heavy traffic fly by around cars weaving from lane through tangent lines at speeds 30-40 MPH above the traffic speed. Very common in the SF Bay Area freeways. The same behavior also happens in stop and go traffic with often tragic consequences.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:31 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
They said there was nothing I could do as it was a one vehicle accident. I told them that because I have good brakes and I pay attention enough to avoid the accident it's somehow only my fault? Yes, I could file a report but they would not go after her. I am not filing as then it goes on carfax as a one vehicle accident.
This is exactly why I will not let someone muscle me into the curb. I will try to stop, but if I can't, I let them hit me. If you come into my lane and I can't get out of your way, you're going to pay for my car, not me.

The traffic around here is getting steadily worse and I'm just waiting for the day when someone does this to me while I'm driving my '78 F-100. When push comes to shove, I've resolved to give the steering wheel a hard push to the left and practice my pit maneuver.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:04 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
This is exactly why I will not let someone muscle me into the curb. I will try to stop, but if I can't, I let them hit me. If you come into my lane and I can't get out of your way, you're going to pay for my car, not me.
Although I understand your point, this also means you're gonna have a good sized car wreck with a big dent and paint work instead of, in this case, a curbed wheel.

I wonder what is ultimately cheaper? Replacing a curbed wheel, or diminished value because your car now has been in an accident that then shows on a CarFax?

I still think a dash cam is the cheapest and most effective solution
Old 03-31-2015, 05:17 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe

Although I understand your point, this also means you're gonna have a good sized car wreck with a big dent and paint work instead of, in this case, a curbed wheel.

I wonder what is ultimately cheaper? Replacing a curbed wheel, or diminished value because your car now has been in an accident that then shows on a CarFax?

I still think a dash cam is the cheapest and most effective solution
FWIW, 35 years ago I was driving a Lotus Europa up a steep hill in Laguna Beach (3rd Street for any locals). It is a blind rise. Traffic coming down the hill have a stop sign. As I crested I saw a 77 year old man in a mint 63 Ford Galaxy pulling across the top to turn around rather than go down the hill. I came to a stop. He went for his brake pedal, but hit the gas instead. The front half of my car disappeared. I kept my feet by inches. But a pedestrian who didn't care for a young kid driving a Lotus told the LEO that I could have avoided the accident. That went on the report, and I was SOL. Just saying ...

And, from Facebook today ...

Name:  FB_IMG_1427809258558.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  20.1 KB

Quick Reply: Stupid drivers