Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Aerokit 997 Daily Drivable?

Mistake or not?
Old 03-19-2015, 08:15 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

In florida? Totally. If you have stock ride height- youll be fine.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:41 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes

You'll have the occasional scrape, but you'll get past it.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:45 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
Yes

You'll have the occasional scrape, but you'll get past it.
Yours looks awesome btw.

Yah I suppose weather here permits it with the stock ride height. Doctor up in Atlanta has a GTS with aerokit for a good price, I have first shot if he doesn't recieve a check tomorrow from another guy.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:17 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Hope you get it!
Old 03-19-2015, 09:37 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Front end scrapes a lot. Need some kind of skid plate but still love it
Old 03-20-2015, 12:53 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Aerokit is an expensive statement aesthetically. I don't know if I would ever order a car with it, but I get nothing but compliments on mine. I have a client who just ordered a GTS with it, and he can have anything he wants, so it is a matter of taste.

My car has the flat black sacrificial strip on the front that I replace periodically. Little Rock has a lot of hills which can cause scraping issues with it. My car scrapes somewhere every day, and a strip center curb is brutal! Be sure you can buy the black sacrificial strip for the front spoiler. I have heard of and ordered by mistake (more than once from dealers and independents) Aero kit replacement strips that are a white strip and require primer and paint. That would be a giant PITA. I believe I have the "GT3" spoiler and Aero kit. You would never want the other one that is color matched. But the black strip is not an issue on my black car. It might bother you on your white car.

If I were ordering new, I would prioritize many options, about the same price, above the Aero. PCCB,Full Leather, Painted Seat backs, Fikse or Champion lightweight wheels, Burmeister, Painted console. I bought mine used. The best thing about it: I put my briefcase on it while I get out of the car and put my jacket on in the morning. And I get thumbs up at the stoplight.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:15 AM
Supermode
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont have the aerokit, but my '11 C4S has the sport suspension -20 mm and Im very careful angling out when it comes to driveways and speed bumps, but sometimes you cant avoid it. I can only imagine what the aerokit would do.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:59 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Battle scars...
Old 03-20-2015, 11:38 AM
makoshark72
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

LOVE my aero kit! Compliments all the time..

To remedy the rash on the front lip, I simply touch it up from time to time. Mask it off (or remove), clean it and scuff it up lightly with a Scotchbrite pad, then apply a light coat of Krylon Fusion rattle can Satin Black. Designed for painting plastic, fiberglass, etc. Comes out like NEW!!
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2015, 11:47 AM
dw.metro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aerokit is the ultimate upgrade for the 997! Very dramatic look!
Old 03-20-2015, 04:05 PM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I daily drive mine...In Phoenix every entry to anything is steep for when monsoon season arrives....I scrape occasionally, but you figure out the best angle to take etc...also I am not sure if it is my lip or the little black "mud flaps" that are actually scraping.....
Old 03-20-2015, 04:37 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive mine two to three times a week, I take the Boxster the rest of the time. I commute back and forth to work so I know the roads well. Wouldn't want a 911 w/o an aerokit. It's doable, just have to aware of the road.

Last edited by Ynot; 04-23-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,455 Likes on 4,115 Posts

You can definitely daily drive it. The other option is to add a noselift kit that uses either air or hydraulics to lift the nose a couple inches. I used to scrape the front lip of my RUF bumper all the time, no matter what approach angle I used and also used to have to back into my driveway since it has a drainage lip. When I did the RSS and Bilstein Damptronics suspension upgrade, I installed a Cargraphic AirLift, even dropped the car about 1/2" and now I hardly ever scrape - keep cringing on some of those really steep ones, but now with the right angle of approach, it just slides right through.

TechArt makes a hydraulic one (very expensive), K&W makes a hydraulic one, CarGraphic makes an air one, and Umbrella Auto Design makes an air one. I eliminated the hydraulic options becuase I did not want a hose or fitting on that system to fail and spray hydraulic fluid all over the inside of my frunk. I was ready to go with the Umbrella Auto Design one when I came across someone selling the Cargraphic one, so I picked it up instead and it has been great.

If you go the CarGraphic route, use an upgraded external compressor, not the Porsche one from the tire inflation kit with the car (takes too long to lift). I switched to an Optima 34R battery which freed up enough space in the battery area for me to mount both the external compressor and the control box. All the stock frunk plastic panels fit back in and it looks stock without any loss of storage space. I mouned the compressor using rubber fuel pump mounts to isolate the vibration from the car when it's running - you can hear it so you know it's working, but can't really feel it. With the external compressor setup, I just push the button about 5 seconds before getting to the driveway and by the time I arrive, it's already up. It uses an airbag that sits between the strut top mount and the body of the car. When collapsed you can't feel any difference in handling or performance (endorsed by Sir Walter if you visit their site or view the YouTube video -
) and when inflated, lifts the nose about 2". It does only work with a coilover suspension though, either the stock GT or Bilsteins.

Here are some pics.
Attached Images        

Last edited by Petza914; 03-23-2015 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Added AirLift Components Photo
Old 03-23-2015, 11:20 AM
Para82
Race Car

How many lbs of downforce does the aero-kit cup add at speed and do you notice a major difference?

Quick Reply: Aerokit 997 Daily Drivable?