Sponsored by:

bose in 997.2 2011 GTS = terrible

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 09:24 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Alansglide
Nice set up guys. I run Aragon and Martin Logan.

Alan
B&W 805 Diamond with Parasound Halo Pre and Power amps here +++
Old 03-17-2015, 09:51 PM
P911CS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
lol, love it.

Anybody who can take a 4 hour+ drive without listening to the radio/music is a better man than me. I'd be bored to tears, be it a ferrari, 911, or hyundai
Well said
Old 03-17-2015, 10:16 PM
digs
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

I just went from B&W in an XJL Jag 2012 model to BOSE surround sound in the 09 tt . Bose blows the other system away . I do not use any ipod crap only fm and its spectacular rich deep moving sound ! I think surround sound is listed as an option , not certain ? The 996 Carrera cabrio 1999 sounds plain compared to the 997 coupe .
Old 03-17-2015, 10:24 PM
sambb
Instructor

it is odd to me that porsche, as a premium brand, would be satisfied with the bose option. It is just unfortunate, but perhaps it also adds revenue and this is an area that they make it..
Old 03-17-2015, 11:06 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Bose is junk. In fact in the audiophile community it is referred to as Blose. However they have successfully marketed their products as audiophile quality, and for some reason it seems a number of car manufacturers have bought into it. Not only are their speakers crap, they have a track record of producing poor amplifiers with cheap power supplies and high distortion levels, particularly at higher volumes. They have also been accused of doctoring the source materials for their famous Bose demonstrations to make up for the weaknesses in their equipment. It is truly unfortunate that Porsche cannot provide a quality sound system in a $100k car.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:21 AM
ru'
Instructor

The solution is to listen to electronic music; works for me!
Old 03-18-2015, 01:31 AM
mopar bob
Pro

I just read in one of my broadcasting mags that a collage professor that is a jazz musician and has a recording studio. Played one of his master tapes and one that was at the highest compression rate to his collage class. Over half the class liked the high compression over the master tape. It's sad
Oh and I ran Marantz PrePro and Sunfire amps plus vintage Klipsch Cornwall speakers that are modified. Yes folks here is another way to modify things between speakers and running a RTA in your room and building sound treatments to correct the room. ect, ect. Oh wait wrong forum.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:35 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by shammerman
Please insure that the Bose system is set for linear in order to obtain the best possible sound quality (if this is not done it is muddy and a mess).

Push the Sound button on the left of the screen - then hit option and check linear. There is a huge difference! Radio signal will be poor, however, iPod, CD or DVD Audio will sound quite good and 100% compatible to most good car systems with the exception of true custom high end systems. I "bet" most people complaining about the sound have not done this critical step and/or do not have a decent source.
This ^^^^^^^^

I think this is key to why people find some types of music sound good and some sound bad with the standard Bose setup. For modern electronic music it sounds good because the setting is set to accommodate those boomy electronic bass and sub-bass lines. For rock music, you don't want to accentuate the bass tone in that way... so need to adjust that setting.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...ing-AudioPilot

I'm not an audiophile but am a musician, and the Bose setup is actually quite good after it's tweaked a bit. Also, getting car audio to sound good in a 911 is more difficult than a cayenne or any larger car that has more flat internal surfaces.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:37 PM
Dennis W
Track Day

I replaced the Bose stereo in my previous Boxster with a high quality head unit, amp, speakers and sub and the difference was significant. But, I didn't want to go to the time or trouble in my 997. As noted, with a good quality source (CD) and proper settings it's at least adequate for short term listening. For longer road trips (ie. hours on the interstate) I've gone to using Shure in ear monitors hooked to my iPod. I get sound isolation from road noise (a big hurdle for any car stereo) along with terrific music quality.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:18 PM
rocks991s
Intermediate

I have a 991 with the Bose system and it is rubbish as configured from the factory.
I imagine that the Bose systems in the 997 and 991 somewhat similar.

Many of us with 991's have improved the sound to "adequate" with a couple of tweeks to the system.

As shammerman said, go into your sound options and turn on the linear function.
Then turn OFF the surround sound. I have the base set to flat and the treble boosted 1, but you can play around with those to suit your ears.
Makes quite a difference, especially if you use a decent source material.
The base is much more controlled and the overall sound is not nearly as muddy as compared to using the standard settings.

It works well in a 991 and might be worth a try in your 997's.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:55 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mopar bob
I just read in one of my broadcasting mags that a collage professor that is a jazz musician and has a recording studio. Played one of his master tapes and one that was at the highest compression rate to his collage class. Over half the class liked the high compression over the master tape. It's sad
Oh and I ran Marantz PrePro and Sunfire amps plus vintage Klipsch Cornwall speakers that are modified. Yes folks here is another way to modify things between speakers and running a RTA in your room and building sound treatments to correct the room. ect, ect. Oh wait wrong forum.
This is truly sad, but not at all surprising. The new Millenias do not even know what a high quality music sounds like, and it's amazing that our audio today is WORSE than when CDs were introduced over 30yrs ago!!! Shocking to be honest...
Old 03-18-2015, 07:29 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm willing to give up the 911 Bose system for an additional 25hp :P
Old 03-18-2015, 10:46 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by shammerman
Please insure that the Bose system is set for linear in order to obtain the best possible sound quality (if this is not done it is muddy and a mess).

Push the Sound button on the left of the screen - then hit option and check linear. There is a huge difference! Radio signal will be poor, however, iPod, CD or DVD Audio will sound quite good and 100% compatible to most good car systems with the exception of true custom high end systems. I "bet" most people complaining about the sound have not done this critical step and/or do not have a decent source.
Thanks for the tip and instructions! I did this today during my commute, and on my first listen, I think the sound is less "boomy/muddy."
Old 03-18-2015, 11:19 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Did it. Sounds better. Now, for us nonaudiophiles (my hearing aids are ok, but...), what does "linear" mean/do?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:46 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
lol, love it.

Anybody who can take a 4 hour+ drive without listening to the radio/music is a better man than me. I'd be bored to tears, be it a ferrari, 911, or hyundai
You could listen to your wife/girlfriend…….

Quick Reply: bose in 997.2 2011 GTS = terrible