Sponsored by:

bose in 997.2 2011 GTS = terrible

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 11:16 PM
sambb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bose in 997.2 2011 GTS = terrible

I just have to vent. I know this has been discussed. I am just so disappointed with the bose stereo. Ugh.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:17 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

Listen to the engine. Hell, in my ex-6GT3, didn't even know I had a radio for the first year or two.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:25 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

It's very interesting how the Bose systems seem to be crap in some cars and seem to be fine in others. I had a very high end system with Focal amps and speakers in my 996. It sounded great. The Bose system in my 997 TT sounds very good also. Can it really vary that much from car to car? What source are you using for your music? I think that a good digital source sounds very good on my Bose system...
Old 03-16-2015, 11:26 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Listen to the engine. Hell, in my ex-6GT3, didn't even know I had a radio for the first year or two.
This!!!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:33 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually thought the stereo sounded decent in my 2012 GTS, but I prefer to drive with the top down and listen to the sound my exhaust makes at over 4,500 RPMs.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:53 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Agree - Bose in my previous 996 and current 997 are really LAME! I have always wondered why???
Just the Audiophile Sound System in my F150 puts the Bose to shame.
Bose in my home system rocks though.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:18 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm an audiophile and sometimes I love the Bose in my '12 GTS and sometimes I think it sounds like mud. Really thinking about it, I'd have to fault two things (note this is a problem in many vehicles and is not unique to the 997.)

1) Shape of interior and materials used (maybe that's two things)
The windshield rake reflects a lot of dash speaker sound directly at the driver and because they are so low, door speakers have a hard time finding the ear and they usually will have the better range. So you're getting a lot of high and upper mid frequencies from the dash speakers and a lot of bass from the subwoofer (which is actually a very good sub IMO) but not a lot of solid mid range or low-mid range frequencies. Also, the leather and plastic up front bounce that sound around a lot, while sound from the speakers in the rear are absorbed by extensive carpet and ultra low rake of the rear glass which just bounces sound straight into the floor.

2) Frequency crossing
Because you lose a lot of mid for reasons above, at lower volumes Bose seemed to think they needed to boost midrange which makes everything sound like mud and take out a lot of the high frequencies. The speakers all try to play the same frequencies instead of isolating those they reproduce best and you get a bunch of mixed garbage. However, I've found that at louder volumes (stereo drowns out engine) they are actually quite good at isolating their respective specialized frequencies. It is a very good system at higher volumes.

I sat in my car for about an hour over the weekend (car was off so no engine noise pollution... usually its the other way around) listening to different types of music at different volumes. I did this because I am the king of nerds when it comes to sound reproduction and just wanted to see where this stereo rated in those I've tested over the years.

In terms of production car audio I'd give it a 7.3 overall. 6.4 at lower volumes and 8.1 at higher volumes.

Okay, carry on.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:24 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I find metal/punk/rock music is very muddy; as you've commented on, frequencies end up mashed together and sound very average. A well produced hip hop or electronic beat sounds much, much better.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:32 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
I find metal/punk/rock music is very muddy; as you've commented on, frequencies end up mashed together and sound very average. A well produced hip hop or electronic beat sounds much, much better.
Yup same here - RocknRoll on this Bose sounds awful (ACDC especially) and electronic/hip hop side sounds decent enough.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:17 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Don't you know that if you listen to the radio, and worse yet complain about it on a public forum, it brands you as a poseur - one of those to be reviled by true enthusiasts who claim that the only music they need is the sound of the engine (so they know when to shift theit MT cars) and who do all their own wrench work. Complaining about the sound system in your car, your 911 Sports Car, deserves the same amount of scorn a Bentley owner might receive for complaining that that their car doesn't reach 1.1 g's on a skid pad.

I apologize for the above - no offense to anyone meant, I just could not resist. Seriously, to the OP and all other audiophiles I sympathize (and being tone deaf that's about all I can do) and agree with youall. You'd think at the 911 price point you wouldn't have to spend more money for a quality aftermarket sound system. But Porsche is a company that didn't even give us auto headlights on the 997. If they put a high end sound system in the 911, one better than the Bose, it would be as a higher end option, cost more than $5K and even then might or might not sound acceptable to audiophiles - oh, wait . . .
Old 03-17-2015, 09:57 AM
mopar bob
Pro

Bose = over hyped junk
Old 03-17-2015, 10:52 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Don't you know that if you listen to the radio, and worse yet complain about it on a public forum, it brands you as a poseur - one of those to be reviled by true enthusiasts who claim that the only music they need is the sound of the engine (so they know when to shift theit MT cars) and who do all their own wrench work. Complaining about the sound system in your car, your 911 Sports Car, deserves the same amount of scorn a Bentley owner might receive for complaining that that their car doesn't reach 1.1 g's on a skid pad.

I apologize for the above - no offense to anyone meant, I just could not resist. Seriously, to the OP and all other audiophiles I sympathize (and being tone deaf that's about all I can do) and agree with youall. You'd think at the 911 price point you wouldn't have to spend more money for a quality aftermarket sound system. But Porsche is a company that didn't even give us auto headlights on the 997. If they put a high end sound system in the 911, one better than the Bose, it would be as a higher end option, cost more than $5K and even then might or might not sound acceptable to audiophiles - oh, wait . . .
lol, love it.

Anybody who can take a 4 hour+ drive without listening to the radio/music is a better man than me. I'd be bored to tears, be it a ferrari, 911, or hyundai
Old 03-17-2015, 11:19 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The Bose unit in my 2012 is garbage. I replaced the OEM single DIN in my 996 with a Pioneer Double DIN with new speakers and Amp and it was awesome. I considered doing the same with the 997 but can't be bothered. The music from my iPod sounds ok, but Radio...well, today's music sucks anyway.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:34 AM
sambb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tcc1999

If porsche only sold cars to true enthusiasts, I'm not sure they would be in business! I like the car a lot. It is fun. But it is also fun to put on some decent tunes and drive. I just think that the bose stereo is notably poor.

I like driving with my music playing. It is not an "audiophile" thing. Im not an audiophile. Maybe porsche doesn't quite understand that there is a such thing as a buyer who can appreciate a sports car and appreciate having a above average stereo at the same time.

Two questions:
1. What is the best upgrade pathway?
2. Is the burmester a lot better in modern porsches?
Old 03-17-2015, 11:34 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Bose system really sucked in my 2010. Just did not want to listen to it as it sounded so cheap! Followed budget audio upgrade by ryem3 on 6speed. Now i always travel with the system on. Beautiful! Only time its off is when im travelling through the mountains and really enjoy the fresh air and that melodious sound of the engine....

Quick Reply: bose in 997.2 2011 GTS = terrible