Sponsored by:

bose in 997.2 2011 GTS = terrible

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 02:51 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 897 Posts

The Bose system in my 2008 sounds better than the Bose system in my 2002 sounded. My 2004 Cayenne had Bose and it sounded great.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:26 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Bose in ANY system is CRAP!

Bose is simply a Marketing company with extremely poorly engineered products that are WAY over-priced! Bose used to be OK back in the 80s, early 90s and then used their name to just market themselves and build mediocre products while charging HiFi prices!

I would NEVER buy any Bose products what so ever...
Old 03-17-2015, 04:10 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Bose in ANY system is CRAP!

Bose is simply a Marketing company with extremely poorly engineered products that are WAY over-priced! Bose used to be OK back in the 80s, early 90s and then used their name to just market themselves and build mediocre products while charging HiFi prices!

I would NEVER buy any Bose products what so ever...
Okay I'll bite. Bose products are actually pretty good. Not as good as their marketing might have you believe but they do produce a quality speaker.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:14 PM
Alansglide
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 27 Posts

Bose sadly makes garbage.
In audio , Bose is known for 25 cent paper cone speakers, and marketing them as high end. Go to any audio forum, AVS, Home Theater forum, Audio Karma , etc , and it will be learning experience. AVS in particular would be highly recommended , if you would like to learn about audio.

Bose make convenience music items ,not high end.

Alan
Old 03-17-2015, 06:04 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alansglide
In audio , Bose is known for 25 cent paper cone speakers, and marketing them as high end. Go to any audio forum, AVS, Home Theater forum, Audio Karma , etc , and it will be learning experience. AVS in particular would be highly recommended , if you would like to learn about audio.

Alan
Agreed, I am a versed audiophile. My response was to alexb76 stating that Bose is 'crap' and 'poorly engineered'. Though clearly exaggeration, that is simply not the case. I would never categorize them as high end and always recommend much better products to people who ask my advice and have Bose as a considered manufacturer. They are a terrific marketer and I think we both agree that you will (not 'might'.. 'will') find a quantitatively better product for the same price point, but Bose speakers and amps are actually pretty good, just not for the price.

And this leads into the discussion of the now typical (or stereotypical) Porsche buyer who does buy the name. Well if you're buying Porsche for the name, you'll certainly be the same type to buy Bose for the name too which is how this partnership began I imagine. And why we are stuck with a Bose system instead of Paradigm, Denon or Klipsch or any number of other medium-high end manufacturers with better quality and similar price points.

#blaupunktforever
Old 03-17-2015, 06:38 PM
Alansglide
Pro

Agreed

Alan
Old 03-17-2015, 07:51 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I'm an audiophile and sometimes I love the Bose in my '12 GTS
The words "audiophile" and "Bose" do not belong in the same sentence.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:59 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

Bose speakers are crap. Really just the cheap ones. Their amps sound decent.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:02 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
The words "audiophile" and "Bose" do not belong in the same sentence.
They do if you reference them as mud six words later.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:03 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Alan
What he said... Bose being over-priced crap is so clear-cut and proven, that doesn't even worth a debate.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:15 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Agreed, I am a versed audiophile. My response was to alexb76 stating that Bose is 'crap' and 'poorly engineered'. Though clearly exaggeration, that is simply not the case. I would never categorize them as high end and always recommend much better products to people who ask my advice and have Bose as a considered manufacturer. They are a terrific marketer and I think we both agree that you will (not 'might'.. 'will') find a quantitatively better product for the same price point, but Bose speakers and amps are actually pretty good, just not for the price.

And this leads into the discussion of the now typical (or stereotypical) Porsche buyer who does buy the name. Well if you're buying Porsche for the name, you'll certainly be the same type to buy Bose for the name too which is how this partnership began I imagine. And why we are stuck with a Bose system instead of Paradigm, Denon or Klipsch or any number of other medium-high end manufacturers with better quality and similar price points.

#blaupunktforever
You can't just contradict yourself... you say Bose is not crap or poorly engineered, but then you say it's not high end while it costs high end!

My parents had some old school Bose 901 speakers back in the day, and they were pretty good, and one of the last higher end products they made... then after that, it's always been build a really really cheap product with mediocre/engineered sound (to sound good to a lament), market the crap out of it, do demo rooms and special setup at stores with flawed demo, fooling everyone thinking it's high end, and then charge thousands for a system costing probably less than a hundred dollars.

Bose is CRAP and POORLY ENGINEERED for the money they want you to pay for it! Everything is relevant, if they charged $50 for their product, I'd say it's greatly engineered for a $50 product, but when they ask $2K, then it's absolutely not engineered well for a $2K product.

I actually think their Car audio products are slightly above crap level of their home audio products, most likely due to car manufacturer's specifying specs and requirements, otherwise they'd be charging you twice as much with even crappier product as that's their business model.

Speaking of Car Audio, the B&W, B&O, Meridian, and the new Porsche Burmester are amazing and I've been in random cars with some great audio that wasn't Bose (can't quite remember which other brands). The best I've heard was a Jaguar XF running B&W system and it was incredible (they're now only doing Maeserati I think). Just as reference, I run Classe, B&W 800-series speakers at home.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:42 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
You can't just contradict yourself... you say Bose is not crap or poorly engineered, but then you say it's not high end while it costs high end!

My parents had some old school Bose 901 speakers back in the day, and they were pretty good, and one of the last higher end products they made... then after that, it's always been build a really really cheap product with mediocre/engineered sound (to sound good to a lament), market the crap out of it, do demo rooms and special setup at stores with flawed demo, fooling everyone thinking it's high end, and then charge thousands for a system costing probably less than a hundred dollars.

Bose is CRAP and POORLY ENGINEERED for the money they want you to pay for it! Everything is relevant, if they charged $50 for their product, I'd say it's greatly engineered for a $50 product, but when they ask $2K, then it's absolutely not engineered well for a $2K product.

I actually think their Car audio products are slightly above crap level of their home audio products, most likely due to car manufacturer's specifying specs and requirements, otherwise they'd be charging you twice as much with even crappier product as that's their business model.

Speaking of Car Audio, the B&W, B&O, Meridian, and the new Porsche Burmester are amazing and I've been in random cars with some great audio that wasn't Bose (can't quite remember which other brands). The best I've heard was a Jaguar XF running B&W system and it was incredible (they're now only doing Maeserati I think). Just as reference, I run Classe, B&W 800-series speakers at home.
I also have systems incorporating B&W 800 Diamond Series speakers and Classe equipment.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:54 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 344 Posts
Default CRITICAL FOR BOSE SOUND QUALITY 997.2

Please insure that the Bose system is set for linear in order to obtain the best possible sound quality (if this is not done it is muddy and a mess).

Push the Sound button on the left of the screen - then hit option and check linear. There is a huge difference! Radio signal will be poor, however, iPod, CD or DVD Audio will sound quite good and 100% compatible to most good car systems with the exception of true custom high end systems. I "bet" most people complaining about the sound have not done this critical step and/or do not have a decent source.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:05 PM
Alansglide
Pro

Originally Posted by beden1
I also have systems incorporating B&W 800 Diamond Series speakers and Classe equipment.
Nice set up guys. I run Aragon and Martin Logan.

Alan
Old 03-17-2015, 09:14 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Nice set up guys. I run Aragon and Martin Logan.

Alan
+1... unfortunately HiFi is dying due to mp3 generation and people getting used to poor quality audio with terrible dynamics.

I still can't believe that today in 2015, we are primarily using Audio below CD quality, that was introduced over 30 years ago! With all of the technological advances, 720P, 1080P, 4K video, it's incredible to me that people are just fine with overly compressed and terrible quality audio these days! There was a slight push toward FLAC and lossless audio, but then the whole streaming of audio completely changed the dynamic, and now we're left with even worse quality than top MP3/AAC songs of the past.

Quick Reply: bose in 997.2 2011 GTS = terrible