Brake disc thickness tolerance ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 09:39 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,720 Likes on 4,273 Posts

Originally Posted by JSETarga
These dimples as wear indicators seemed logical to me. However, I called Porsche dealer and a 20 year service veteran said this is not what they are for. That they are just for air and water movement. That being said, I would take with a grain of salt this idea unless some kind of Porsche or rotor manufacturer proof becomes available. I would love for this to be proven, as would make awesome indicators. If anyone can find proof, please post it.
I think he misunderstood your question and was referring to the cross-drilled holes, not the little dimples. Those dimples won't do a thing for air or water movement. The cross frilled holes do as well as providing a path for the pad gasses to escape, allowing for better braking instead of the gas being trapped between the pad surface and rotor surface. Gives rotor surface water an egress path as well since that water turns to steam. Increase exposed surface area of the rotor and as Iceter explained about the heat and air transfer between the outside surfaces and inside vanes.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:58 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I think he misunderstood your question and was referring to the cross-drilled holes, not the little dimples. Those dimples won't do a thing for air or water movement. The cross frilled holes do as well as providing a path for the pad gasses to escape, allowing for better braking instead of the gas being trapped between the pad surface and rotor surface. Gives rotor surface water an egress path as well since that water turns to steam. Increase exposed surface area of the rotor and as Iceter explained about the heat and air transfer between the outside surfaces and inside vanes.
Maybe... It sure would be nice if these were wear indicators. Just would like to have something more than speculation to base something like this on. I would LOVE for it to be what they are for and hope there is a way to prove the theory.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:07 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Seems they are for gasses. Looks as if drilled/dimpled is probably rare thing though. This is not conclusive proof of the contrary to OP thought, but gives doubt.

https://www.adamsrotors.com/custom-d...ed-rotors.html

https://brakeperformance.com/dimpled-rotors.php

https://tires.tirerack.com/m/tires/Dimpled%20Rotors

Quick Reply: Brake disc thickness tolerance ?