Sponsored by:

997 suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 06:16 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 997 suspension?

the shop that serviced my car said that my shocks may need to be replaced, appears P/O had springs installed and now shocks are either out or almost out

thinking about options - shocks and springs? coilovers?

my summer wheel/tire setup is BBS e88's on Toyo R888's, my car doesn't see any track time (yet?) mostly a weekender and its a 2007 Carrera 4

I looked at Ohlins R/T's and the shop works and track prep's BMW's and Porsches for local PCA clubs and HIGHLY recommended PSS9/10's

any thoughs from Rennlisters? thanks … since both PSS10's and R/T's are just under $3k lets say that's my ballpark for suspension, nothing more then that

thanks guys!
Old 11-12-2018, 06:43 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by roman944
the shop that serviced my car said that my shocks may need to be replaced, appears P/O had springs installed and now shocks are either out or almost out

my summer wheel/tire setup is BBS e88's on Toyo R888's, my car doesn't see any track time (yet?) mostly a weekender and its a 2007 Carrera 4

I looked at Ohlins R/T's and the shop works and track prep's BMW's and Porsches for local PCA clubs and HIGHLY recommended PSS9/10's

any thoughs from Rennlisters? thanks … since both PSS10's and R/T's are just under $3k lets say that's my ballpark for suspension, nothing more then that

thanks guys!
The Bilstein units are fantastic but have been on back order for a year.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:20 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoo
The Bilstein units are fantastic but have been on back order for a year.
I have a set on order and have been given an uncertain ETA of March "or so"
Old 11-13-2018, 01:37 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

thanks guys!

How many miles on the car? Just curious since I've had three 997's now, all lowered with H&R springs and all approaching or exceeding 50K miles with no issues. Current GTS just ticked over 59,000 miles, all on lowering springs. No problems.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:57 AM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by sandwedge
How many miles on the car? Just curious since I've had three 997's now, all lowered with H&R springs and all approaching or exceeding 50K miles with no issues. Current GTS just ticked over 59,000 miles, all on lowering springs. No problems.
just turned 80k (10k of which are mine!) but I have no way of telling how long they have been on there so … what are my other options if PSS10's are out? H&R? other combos?
Old 11-13-2018, 10:02 AM
cannonball05
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Roman - Is this what you were thinking on? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bilstein...49-115604~bil/
Old 11-14-2018, 04:15 PM
chuuey
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Might not be helpful, but good luck finding/ getting Bilsteins. I know a few who have been waiting in excess of a year. If I recall correctly, production had completely stopped because they were retooling/servicing their equipment and ETA dates have been perpetually pushed out.

I went with Ohlins R/T and am very happy. Adjustment isn't as easy as other coils as lowering the car requires you to spin the entire shock, but otherwise the ride is supple, compliant, and greatly improved from the stock setup (came from a 35k mile, tired, PASM setup).
Old 11-14-2018, 04:52 PM
snosk8luke
Instructor

Received 144 Likes on 44 Posts

just turned 80k (10k of which are mine!) but I have no way of telling how long they have been on there so … what are my other options if PSS10's are out? H&R? other combos?
I've been on BC Racing coils for about 6000 miles now and I love them. At $1245.00 for a complete set and dampening and height adjustment that works/feels awesome for track or street, you can't beat them.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:24 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

But how has your mechanic determined that they need to be replaced? I have heard that unless they are leaking that they are fine so are they leaking?
Old 11-14-2018, 07:44 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Leaking means they are worn out, but shocks can be worn out and not leak. In fact, most worn out shocks give no external indication that they’re bad. Leaking shocks are beyond bad.

When theyre worn, they don’t rebound and lose some or all of their damping effect. Without the damping effect, the car will bounce more when going over bumps (think speed bumps and driveway curbs). You’ll also find your tires skittering more over rough pavement because the lack of damping allows the wheels to become unloaded more often.

Its often a very subjective assessment. It’s a simple matter to tell if shocks are bad when they’re off the car, but on the car, it’s more difficult to tell. I don’t think the op said how many miles he has on his car, or how the roads are where he lives. Where I live, the roads are only decent, and I drive my car every day. At 76k miles on my car, I need to replace mine. YMMV.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:40 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

True very subjective. I am on H&R's and will hit the bump stops occasionally on rough roads/transitions but dont notice any change in handling under normal conditions. At about 60k miles (100k kms)

Was just curious why his mechanic said he needed new shock ie what lead him to suggest this?
Old 11-15-2018, 01:26 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
True very subjective. I am on H&R's and will hit the bump stops occasionally on rough roads/transitions but dont notice any change in handling under normal conditions. At about 60k miles (100k kms)

Was just curious why his mechanic said he needed new shock ie what lead him to suggest this?
Was wondering the same thing. As said earlier, I'm at 59,000 miles, all of them on lowering springs but can't say I have any suspension issues, at least not any that I notice. Also had the 60,000 mile service done recently and no mention by the the dealer of any shock problems. I hear an occasional contact with tire and inside fender if going over a speed bump too fast but other than that it feels solid and tight. Not alarmed since the same thing has happened on all three 997s on lowering springs I've owned regardless of miles on the car.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:09 PM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by vern1
But how has your mechanic determined that they need to be replaced? I have heard that unless they are leaking that they are fine so are they leaking?
so I myself have owned VERY lowered/air equipped cars and I have been in lowered cars before, so I am used to a stretched/low profile tires on lowered vehicles and to me it sounded like my suspension was a bit louder then "normal" but I could definitely tell my car has been lowered especially after throwing BBS e88's in 18" size as there is almost no wheel gap in the front

I just wrote it off on "that's probably how this car behaves when lowered" but I wanted someone to check it out for sure

so these guys do work on PCA/BMWCA/HD prep on people's race cars and do maintenance strictly on Porsche/BMW cars for MANY years now - and that is the reason I went to them

they poked around a bit and found nothing loose/broken and said that it sounds very much like a worn out rear shocks

only one other note is that I know someone who has had a variation of M3's and 911's and 944's across all kinds of years and his suggestion was to go for Koni Yellow's but I'm not sure how that would work out as I don't believe it would be an adjustable setup to try and make up for whatever gap I will have with my summer setup

the "normal" setup on the car are 20x9/10's and 245/295 tires
Old 11-15-2018, 06:08 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

You have to take the shock off and put it in a machine to determine if they need to be re-built. If you are racing....
Shocks wear out and at 50k street miles, they have degraded to the point that they are no where like new at the limit but fine on the street. So as others have said, it's subjective on how new you want your shocks to be. If you are DE'ing its going to wear the shocks out faster because of the heat generated and the seals wearing out. Like tires, if you've run enough heat cycles, the tire is done, but you can still drive with them, they won't be optimal. If you see oil leaking, your shocks are broken, not worn out. How "broken" affects you depends on how much oil has leaked out.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:29 PM
roman944
Drifting

I don't think they inspected them that in-depth, but its fairly loud going over bumpy roads/rail road tracks etc (has been since I bought the car)

Quick Reply: 997 suspension?