Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Can I drive your car?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015 | 10:06 PM
Supermode
Racer

Default "Can I drive your car?"

How often do you get asked this by family members or close friends? I'm still new to the Pcar world. I bought my first 911 this past December ('11 C4S) and some of my family and friends still don't know I got it. This past weekend I took her out of storage for a quick spin. I stopped by a buddy of mine I grew up with and he couldn't believe it. First thing out of his mouth was "Can I drive it?". I quickly ignored it and changed the subject, but it got me thinking: who do you let drive your car that you trust? Besides my brother, I have not let anyone else behind the wheel.
Old 02-23-2015 | 10:13 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I do not drive other people's cars and they do not drive mine. I have been offered to drive other people's cars and I refused. Stuff happens and this way everyone is safe.
Old 02-23-2015 | 10:14 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

I let a couple of folks drive my 6GT3, a very special car. In fact, I offered to let them drive it. But no one has asked to drive the GTS, which, of course, is just another Porsche.
Old 02-23-2015 | 10:28 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

I let anyone with a full drivers license drive. You only live once, as do they, and it's made to be enjoyed. As long as it's insured I'm happy to share in the enjoyment!!
Old 02-23-2015 | 10:48 PM
sambb
Instructor

How does it work - insurance wise - if they drive and wreck it?
Old 02-23-2015 | 10:52 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
I let anyone with a full drivers license drive. You only live once, as do they, and it's made to be enjoyed. As long as it's insured I'm happy to share in the enjoyment!!
Agreed. My take is that family and friendship trumps all. I let one of my best friend track my car! Albeit- I was his instructor. While I take great care and love my cars, they are still.... Just cars, and made to be enjoyed. It's great to spread the love.
Old 02-23-2015 | 10:59 PM
BBA
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nzskater
Yup. I enjoy sharing my passion. It's just a car, and they aren't made of glass. It's even better when you trade off, my neighbor wanted to drive my C63 so I traded for a drive in his Evora S.
Old 02-23-2015 | 11:07 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

I've let a few close friends I trust drive the car, and I am happy to share the experience. I'm hoping to persuade more of my friends to buy 997's

That is it though, its a short list!
Old 02-23-2015 | 11:09 PM
SnP
Racer

I let friends and family drive mine.

Just a car.

I've gotten three people to buy Porsches this way.

Oughta get a commission...
Old 02-23-2015 | 11:12 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

I NEVER LET anyone drive mine and I don't drive theirs. Period.
Old 02-23-2015 | 11:23 PM
Justin N
Instructor

I let people drive mine. Not too long ago I let my little cousin ( early 20's) drive my 991. He's a car enthusiast, has a nice WRX sti and let me go for a spin. When I threw him the keys to the 991 to reciprocate, his jaw dropped. He was so scared to go above the speed limit!

That being said I don't let anyone drive the car. If they know their way around a performance car and they generally know to avoid potholes, how to enter steep driveways, etc then I have no problem throwing them the keys.
Old 02-23-2015 | 11:45 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

I say let them drive it. The car is not a museum piece it was meant to be driven. (For close friends and family of course) I mean it's not like you are letting them bone your wife. Cars come and go, close friends and family typically stick around forever. Acquaintances / work people / random strangers tell them to pound sand. Now the exception to the family / friend clause is if you know they have a history of very poor driving. I have a close friend that never gets to drive any of my cars anymore because he let the clutch slip too much on my old Audi.

Edit: another thing to consider is all the people that have molested your car while it was for sale when used or perhaps the dude at the dealer who drives it to get washed or even the mechanic that doesn't really care. Sales people that take the cars to lunch etc etc.
Old 02-24-2015 | 12:02 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Sure, I have friends with other high performance bikes and cars, we let each other drive and ride others;s machines…but only because I know they have similar machines and will respect it. Would I late a stranger or a friend of a friend? No.
Old 02-24-2015 | 12:20 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BBA
Yup. I enjoy sharing my passion. It's just a car, and they aren't made of glass. It's even better when you trade off, my neighbor wanted to drive my C63 so I traded for a drive in his Evora S.
I'd make that trade too. Drive in my 911 for a turn behind a friend's Evora S.
Wife and best friend can drive whenever they want. Others considered on a case by case basis...T
Old 02-24-2015 | 12:27 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

with the turbo cars I always tell them make sure car is pointed straight before pushing on gas. Many years ago I had just picked up my first 951 and my good friend who had a vw turbo asked and I let him drive...halfway through a turn at an intersection he pushes the gas and we go sideways...both our hearts stopped as I only had the car for a few days. On dry roads I do let my friends drive my cars. As others have said they are just cars and worth sharing the experience. I remember the first time my buddy let me drive his Ferrari...the feeling lasted days.

Quick Reply: "Can I drive your car?"