Instructor

It's a car, not a woman.

Family? Most probably.
Friends? Most probably.
Neighbor? Depends.
Stranger? Uhh, no.

Raining? Nope.
Foggy? Nope.

Insurance is there for a reason. USAA covers my car from damage driven by just about anyone.

Oh, and I will be in the car. Unless I know the person and trust the person. If not, I will be in the car as you test drive to make sure they remember, its my car.

It's all about common sense.

The people that keep saying.. "Oh its not the damage, it could be other reasons that could be bad..."

Well, while you are googling some reasons to post, do you let people into your house? Do you let people sit on your couches? Walk on your grass?

There are risks everywhere.
Old 02-27-2015 | 10:28 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by s4alex
It's a car, not a woman.

Family? Most probably.
Friends? Most probably.
Neighbor? Depends.
Stranger? Uhh, no.

Raining? Nope.
Foggy? Nope.

Insurance is there for a reason. USAA covers my car from damage driven by just about anyone.

Oh, and I will be in the car. Unless I know the person and trust the person. If not, I will be in the car as you test drive to make sure they remember, its my car.

It's all about common sense.

The people that keep saying.. "Oh its not the damage, it could be other reasons that could be bad..."

Well, while you are googling some reasons to post, do you let people into your house? Do you let people sit on your couches? Walk on your grass?

There are risks everywhere.
Yes, there are risks everywhere. And people can choose to have different risk tolerances in different ways. Some people will drive their car through a car wash, others will only use the most meticulous approach to cleaning the car. Some people will drive on public roads like they're in fast and furious, weaving in and out of traffic, others won't cross the speed limit and switch gears when the tach hits 5k...

It really isn't directly the money / damage for me, personally -- it's about the damage to the relationship. I don't want to drive someone's prized car, screw it up, and then know they're going through the mess of getting things fixed up. I don't want to ticked off because a friend curbs my car if I let them drive it, or worse. If I do it, then no harm, no foul. Now, if I were a billionaire, then I wouldn't worry so much about being ticked off, so there is certainly some financial element to it... but it isn't so simple as just being concerned about damage or value. I am happy to put miles on my car, despite the impact to its value... the more road trips, the better.

There is probably some way to discern risk traits and control personality traits from these tendencies. But trying to equate this behavior to letting people in your house, or sit on couches, is absurd. It's not about "common sense" at all. For example, saying "Unless I know the person and trust the person" as a way to determine where you will sit in the car with them as they drive or not... how does that make any sense? So if you don't trust someone, you will let them drive your car, so long as you're sitting beside them? This is some odd line drawing in itself :-)

Just putting it out there that this isn't something to debate really, it is a question of personal risk tolerance and personal preference and trying to ascribe some sort of rationality to it won't do much good.
Old 02-27-2015 | 11:35 AM
robh75
Instructor

Originally Posted by s4alex
It's a car, not a woman.
Perhaps some don't agree with this statement

It is interesting to see the different perspectives. Bottom line is nobody is right here, it is all depends what is right for each person. To me it is all about balance. To "never" let others drive to me seems too extreme, while to let people like neighbors and co-workers drive, that is not for me either (but kudos to those that do). I would love to share the fun with responsible friends/family, if I am asked. Right now I still have to convince my GF to drive it sometimes, she is still timid even after a year of ownership.
Old 02-27-2015 | 11:59 AM
beden1
Pro

My son has driven my car a number of times by himself whenever he's asked. I initially taught him how to drive when he was starting out, so if I can't trust my son, who can I trust? I would like my wife to drive it too but she won't, because if anything happened to it, she would feel bad that she hurt my car that I treat like one of our own.

I've never asked my friends to drive their cars and they have not asked me to drive mine. They are car guys like me, so I guess it's not something we ask to do?
Old 02-27-2015 | 01:04 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

I dont have an issue letting someone I know well, and respect as a driver, drive the car. My Pop and my 2 good friends drove it.. no one else dared ask yet. I am way more worried when my wife drives it once a year than I am with my friend (who goes to the track with me).
Old 02-27-2015 | 01:23 PM
r_32
Instructor

I have enjoyed reading the responses and perspectives of different folks here.

My wife drives it and will push it somewhat in the right circumstances. Although she does still get the warning each time about keeping RPMs down until oil is warm. She wouldn't take it out in the rain.
I have a couple of close friends whom I would trust to drive it if they asked (they haven't) although know I am **** enough to want to be in the car just so I know what happened of something actually did. (Example - my daily got hit by a flung up metal pole on the highway the other day. If that damage were on one of the pcars I would have been suspicious if I hadn't seen it).
I also have some family I trust and have asked one or two if they would like to drive it and they have actually declined saying they would be too nervous.
Most of my concern comes from their lack of ability to drive a manual properly than lack of confidence I. Their "normal" driving skills
Old 02-27-2015 | 01:31 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
...It really isn't directly the money / damage for me, personally -- it's about the damage to the relationship. I don't want to drive someone's prized car, screw it up, and then know they're going through the mess of getting things fixed up. I don't want to ticked off because a friend curbs my car if I let them drive it, or worse....
+1. The people I let drive my Porsche, if they were to wreck it, my first thought would be "Oh no, are they OK?" Not, "What the heck did you do to my car?"....T
Old 02-27-2015 | 03:33 PM
s4alex
Instructor

Here is a better question, would you let someone else drive your car at a DE?

Most DE's I have gone to make you sign a "No Liability" clause. So, basically, you are responsible for you and your car only. To a point of course.

So, at a DE, would you have a different feeling about letting some one else drive your car?

I haven't tracked the P yet as I am really enjoying tracking my bike, and I have let others ride my bike. One of my friends actually went down. Not that fast, maybe 20mph if. Barend, one rear-set, bruised ego. Luckily no tank damage Some scuffs on my race bodywork. I didn't have to ask him to pay for any damages, he offered up. My first question was are you ok? Then I hit him and ask how about now? We are still good friends. I still give him a hard time about the only person going down on my bike.
Old 02-27-2015 | 06:46 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

I let an elderly man who looking for a Porsche in this forum to test drive my car (albeit he is a professor and has been driven only manual cars for years), I wasn't intended to sell my car. I just want him to experience a 997TT because there is no 997TT for sale in Honolulu. I wouldn't let my friends test drive my car because they don't ever drive manual and they are young and reckless. I offer my wife to drive my car but she absolutely HATE my car (I LOVE IT)
Old 03-01-2015 | 12:57 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

I agree that for the most part you can't break a pdk Porsche. Unless you have an accident in it. That can of course happen and if it does I would rather be the one at the wheel if it is my car.

You can however seriously break a manual t Porsche and while driving inexperienced and/or excited in an unfamiliar car it is not all that hard to do.

As **** as it may sound it is my car and I cannot afford to buy another one or replace an engine.

My answer when pushed by someone I am not comfortable with: sorry but it is against my religion.

Religion, after all, has been used to justify much human behavior throughout history.

Quick Reply: "Can I drive your car?"