Sponsored by:

Just picked a C4S

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 01:41 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Just picked a C4S

I happen to see a white base 997 at a local dealership a few weeks ago, at a really fair price (considering it had a Porsche rebuilt engine about 5000 miles ago). I was keeping an eye out for a white on black 997 coupe, and you don't see too many come up.

So, I went to check the car out, and it looked acceptable. It had snow tires on nice wheels, and was pretty clean inside. There was a dent in one fender, and a long mark on one of the doors. Clutch was replaced when the engine was done, and the history looked very good.

However, there was an issue. The dealer refused to sell me the car without a $4000 aftermarket warranty that he said was a requirement of the financing company. He also added another couple grand on for Gap Insurance and a security package. They were both BS, so I had him remove them, but he wouldnt budge on the warranty.

The car was a good deal on its own, but with an expensive (and probably useless) aftermarket warranty, it was no longer a deal.

So, I looked around and found an 08 C4S that was configured pretty much EXACTLY how I would have ordered it from the factory. It was way more than I ever intended to spend, but it really seemed so perfectly spec'd, that I knew if I let it pass, I would be pretty unlikely to ever find one again setup the same.

I arranged a PPI and the car passed with flying colours. So, I had no choice but to take the car.

We swapped those wheels out with a winter set and I took the car home.

From what I can tell the car has the usual 997 C4S stuff, plus the carbon package, grey instrument cluster background, Sport steering wheel, red seatbelts, and non-factory painted seat backs and lower rocker panels. I am not sure if the 19-inch wheels were and options, but I like them better than most of the other factory 997 offerings.

I was surprised to find myself pretty nervous after picking up the car. I have never spent anywhere close to this amount on a car before, so it is going to take a bit of getting used to.

I just came back from a 30min drive in bone-chilling temperatures. It was a blast! The steering feels a bit heavy compared to what I am used to, but very precise. The car has way more low end torque than what I was expecting. With the shocks in comfort mode, the ride was definitely more comfortable (big surprise) but felt a tiny bit floaty (may also be the winters contributing to this). In sport suspension mode the car felt awesome, but it was cool to be able to flip back and forth.

In sport engine mode, the car has a much better feel to it, since it is faster and seems more responsive. I liked flipping the suspension between the two modes, but I would rather just have the engine locked in SPORT. I like that less pedal engagement is needed in SPORT. I may look into a tune to have it locked in this mode.

I think my favorite part of the car was the short shifter, transmission, and clutch. It just feels perfect. Gear shifts are nice and short, yet easy to find. The clutch engagement seemed to be in the right place, and was pretty smooth. I like a LW flywheel, so I might do one when the clutch is replaced. The gearing seemed perfectly matched for the engine and car. I am VERY happy I didnt go PDK (not that there is anything wrong with PDK, I am sure it is awesome too. I just am very happy with the 6speed, and I have a feeling that they are a dying breed).

After driving the car I found myself surprised at how engaging and rewarding it was. I can see now why people go nuts for these cars, and that was just after a short ride around the city in -20 degree weather with winter tires. I can't wait until Spring when I can really give it a go!

Last edited by halo777; 02-20-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:24 AM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats looks great... it has the specs I'd also prefer.

Welcome to the Forum!
Old 02-20-2015, 07:01 AM
patpetillo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice ride. I live the color and options

Welcome to the club
Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 AM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice...congrats!
Old 02-20-2015, 09:50 AM
RaidersR1
Racer

Nice 4S. Good call on the other car. For a dealer to sell a Porsche with existing damage on it , that would tell me he has no clue what he is doing. Then forcing the warranty? That car will sit until a brain dead person walks in and they screw the next person.

Your choice was great.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:13 AM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't forget to send an email to that lame car dealership and let them know that you scored a much better car than what they were trying to unload on you.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:22 AM
xG3
Track Day

I saw the first white one too! but the condition of it was terrible, it was all dinged up!

Glad you found another one!

I found my on kijiji, 2005 Carrera, 38,000km... for 39.5k CAD (not sure if that is a really good deal) only has navi, sport seats and bose
Old 02-20-2015, 11:40 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! I am very happy with the new car, and glad I spent the extra money on a car that seems more solid.

Originally Posted by Nova997
Don't forget to send an email to that lame car dealership and let them know that you scored a much better car than what they were trying to unload on you.
They have been following up with me, and I told him straight that forcing the warranty on the sale is what killed the deal. Then suddenly on Wednesday he says "oh, if that is the case let's try to resubmit the deal without the warranty". However, when I was talking to him on several previous occasions, even in person, he would not budge on the warranty, saying the financing company required it or no deal.

I did some research, and found that financing companies never require a warranty. So, he was lying and just being a greedy mother. And if he was lying about that, what else were they being dishonest about???

But in the end, it worked out WAY better for me, so I can't say I am really angry I should actually thank him LOL
Old 02-20-2015, 11:42 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xG3
I saw the first white one too! but the condition of it was terrible, it was all dinged up!

Glad you found another one!

I found my on kijiji, 2005 Carrera, 38,000km... for 39.5k CAD (not sure if that is a really good deal) only has navi, sport seats and bose
I think you got an amazing deal, considering the low mileage and options.

Last edited by halo777; 02-20-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:02 PM
shardul
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks nice!
Old 02-20-2015, 12:16 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

I would report that shady dealer to the BBB, they can't force you to buy a warranty. Gap insurance is only for when you don't put enough into the car and owe more than its worth. That way if it get wadded they get their money back if you can't pay the difference off. Once again, they can't force that on you either.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:23 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

There is an organization in Ontario called OMVIC that these types of issues should be reported to.

http://www.omvic.on.ca/portal/

I think you guys are right, I should talk to them.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:33 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats! Looks beautiful. Seems like you have to be careful with any used car dealer with the word "luxury" in their name. Just my experience.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:36 PM
hammerdown
Advanced

Nice car, congrats!
Old 02-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

I see lots of autotrader.ca ads from that outfit. Nice to hear your comments about them.

Quick Reply: Just picked a C4S