Sponsored by:

PDK Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 04:43 PM
CPT Obvious
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iceter
I'd like more information from the OP. I am most curious to know if he tried to shut down and restart before he had the car towed.

The reason I ask is that these cars are so dependent on the computer brain that most of the faults I have experienced with my car have been cured by a simple re-start. And yes, I have had the red transmission failure light on my dash and the car would not move. I have had that error between five and ten times and each time, a re-start cured it--meaning it is very obviously a minor electrical glitch and not a mechanical failure.

The dealer "could not duplicate the problem", meaning that there was not a code directing the helpless tech straight to the part he needed to replace, and the issue has not occurred in over a year.

And yes, I replaced my battery about a year ago and most of my electrical gremlins went into hibernation.
I did shut it down and re fire it multiple times, checked the fuses, disconnected the battery, put it on a charger and did an interpretive dance over the hood.
On the first attempt, it worked and I drove it around the neighborhood for a few minutes. Once I shut it down again, it refused to go into gear no matter what.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:44 PM
CPT Obvious
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Please let us know what date of manufacture your car is.
11-2008
Old 01-16-2015, 04:51 PM
CPT Obvious
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnireland

The real value for me in vintage Porsches or cars in general isn't in their rarity but rather their simplicity.

I also have a '66 912. My 997 is my DD and I love it but when I want to drive around with a grin on my face, I take the 912 out and enjoy the smell of burning oil and the sound and fury of all 8 valve thrashing about and solex carbs popping away. Pure Porsche bliss!
Old 01-16-2015, 04:59 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But, consider the financial implications to Porsche as it stands now. If the slightest defect requires a replacement of the whole $14k component, that's a pretty sweet motivation to not train techs, to build the thing sealed and with non-replaceable components and to make car warranties dependent on replacement versus fixing.
I hope that's not how Porsche thinks! It's in their long term interest to protect the brand and earn the loyalty of their customers.

Another poster suggested that in the future Porsche should consider offerring remanufactured units to reduce the cost. Maybe I missed this, but aren't the replacement transmissions being offered today remanufactured/
Old 01-16-2015, 05:58 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kcheves
I hope that's not how Porsche thinks! It's in their long term interest to protect the brand and earn the loyalty of their customers.
I sure hope that's the case... "IMS problem? What IMS problem??"
Old 01-16-2015, 10:00 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,068 Likes on 749 Posts

I'd like more information from the OP. I am most curious to know if he tried to shut down and restart before he had the car towed.

The reason I ask is that these cars are so dependent on the computer brain that most of the faults I have experienced with my car have been cured by a simple re-start. And yes, I have had the red transmission failure light on my dash and the car would not move. I have had that error between five and ten times and each time, a re-start cured it--meaning it is very obviously a minor electrical glitch and not a mechanical failure.

The dealer "could not duplicate the problem", meaning that there was not a code directing the helpless tech straight to the part he needed to replace, and the issue has not occurred in over a year.

And yes, I replaced my battery about a year ago and most of my electrical gremlins went into hibernation.
My failure was similar to the OP's and when mine failed I tried to restart four times. Car wouldn't move and the light stayed on. Prior to this, several months apart I had the same light come on twice (emergency transmission run) but shutting down and restarting fixed it both times on the first attempt.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:07 PM
secondshot
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On the precision of the wire lengths etc...sort of unrelated, but it taught me about the very high tolerance requirements for signal timing on high end electronics. I own a boat and it has an autopilot. Per the installation instructions, the installer/repair may not lengthen or shorten the control head wiring harness leading to the brain of the unit (read that splice). Apparently the unit is set up to perform at a very specific signal interval (i made that descriptor up but you get what i mean).

If there is a splice added to the wiring harness, then it changes the timing of the signals and is very bad for the performance of the unit. My guess is that the gear lever is the control head in my example and the brain is inside the PDK. I would assume that this has something to do with the repair. And, when we repair the auto pilot unit, we have to replace either of the parts (head or brain) in its entirety. I am certain (not being an engineer) that my suggestion isn't exactly correct, but maybe conceptually it is.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:55 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Signal timing concerns over lengths of cable went away with analog signals. I wouldn't doubt if this "one sensor replacement" statement really is based on not enough slack in the harness (obviously some careful splicing could get around this). As far as that autopilot cable, their concern has to do with an installer adding a failure point in the form of a poor splice and/or extending the cable with the wrong type.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:51 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

EE here. Propagation delay through a wire is about 1ns (a billionth of a second) for every 6 inches. Porsche's electronics aren't *quite* that precise (my guess) at least in terms of timing. However, the temp sensor could be an analog one and it's possible the TCU is making very precise measurements with a precision ADC, perhaps on the order of microvolts or microamps (or less). If the wire is too long or if the connection (crimping) isn't excellent, the measurement could get thrown off either by impedance mismatch or noise coupling.

This would make a great reverse engineering project, but in the meantime I'll just hope one blown sensor doesn't result in an entire transmission going kaput.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by andy92782
EE here. Propagation delay through a wire is about 1ns (a billionth of a second) for every 6 inches. Porsche's electronics aren't *quite* that precise (my guess) at least in terms of timing. However, the temp sensor could be an analog one and it's possible the TCU is making very precise measurements with a precision ADC, perhaps on the order of microvolts or microamps (or less). If the wire is too long or if the connection (crimping) isn't excellent, the measurement could get thrown off either by impedance mismatch or noise coupling.

This would make a great reverse engineering project, but in the meantime I'll just hope one blown sensor doesn't result in an entire transmission going kaput.
Right, it could be a wire resistance req.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by CPT Obvious
I did shut it down and re fire it multiple times, checked the fuses, disconnected the battery, put it on a charger and did an interpretive dance over the hood.
On the first attempt, it worked and I drove it around the neighborhood for a few minutes. Once I shut it down again, it refused to go into gear no matter what.
That still does not mean that your battery is OK. You can charge a battery and still be a weak battery. Only a battery stress test would clear that.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:50 PM
CPT Obvious
Advanced

Originally Posted by ADias
That still does not mean that your battery is OK. You can charge a battery and still be a weak battery. Only a battery stress test would clear that.
Agreed, The dealership where I bought the car (Non Porsche) put a VW battery in it without telling me because the original was dead. I need to confirm that the battery is within Porsche specs. If not, there may be recourse there.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:05 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by CPT Obvious

Agreed, The dealership where I bought the car (Non Porsche) put a VW battery in it without telling me because the original was dead. I need to confirm that the battery is within Porsche specs. If not, there may be recourse there.
Also check the connections and cables. What voltage do you have at the fuse box (switched and unswitched sides) with the motor off and running?

The battery tester I have is a series of plates (to dissipate heat) and operates a lot like a toaster. If you have access to one of these you can take the above voltages before and after stressing it.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:51 PM
CPT Obvious
Advanced

Default Update

Update: The new PDK is at the dealership but they found a leaky seal at the flywheel so we're waiting for that to be shipped from Atlanta and then it'll go back together. Hoping to have it home by the end of the week.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 275 Posts

Did you noticed any oil on the floor?

Quick Reply: PDK Failure