Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 10:26 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,110 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Come to think of it, the EVOMS software did enable left foot braking. Not sure if that'll effect anything. Before I do anything, I'm going to have my shop read the fault codes. Then I'll swap in my Lithium battery with more juice and see what happens. If I still get the errors then it's off to the dealer.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,068 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
The temp sensor is a dealer repairable item but only if certain fault codes are present in the PDK module. Also as noted in another thread, the temp sensor can only be replaced once, after that the requirement is a new PDK.

In MY 2012 (manufacture date 2011+) 997 platform changes were made to PDK software and extended PDK software mods into 991 platform. Not sure if the current PIWIS II system retains the PIWIS I patches for PDK - this could be an issue with software updates for 997 /987.

Correct. Software changes to some 997 platform PDK and most all 991 platform PDK results in "softer shifts" in normal mode, perhaps slightly softer and slightly faster in Sport and Sport+ modes. 991 platform has additional features such as paddle neutral and accommodation for start/stop.
FWIW....the "updated" PDK replacement unit I got for the -09 shifted much softer in all modes, including sport plus. Actually felt slower to me rather than faster. I disliked it so much I took it back to the dealer thinking something wasn't right but was told "that's the new programming and there's nothing we can do about it."
Old 02-06-2015, 09:18 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Are Caymans and Boxsters having the same issues with PDKs?
Old 02-07-2015, 10:47 AM
9114Scab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellence magazine , this month had an article stating the PDK is showing to be as reliable as the tiptronic, if not more reliable.

I still think it is the best trans on earth, hands down.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:53 PM
momentif
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on youtube *oh god, ignorance here. we. go* and there were videos of the PDK transmission where teeth were breaking off one of the helical gears and causing the grenading effect. I saw it on the Manual transmission also.

Just a question for these transmissions, are they both manufactured in Japan? Has japanese manufacturing reduced the reliability of these transmissions in track/athletic/pound'em ground'em applications?
Old 02-08-2015, 07:05 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

PDK are German made by ZF (ZF Friedrichshafen AG). Carrera gen 1 is ZF 7DT-45; turbo Carrera ZF 7DT-70 for the higher torque. Mods to these were done in 2011 and then 2012 for 991.

These are very reliable and IMHO among the best DCT available. This thread highlights some issues but the percentage of pbms is very small compared to total production (I don't have the %, so I guess that last statement is opinion more than fact).
Old 02-08-2015, 07:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
These are very reliable and IMHO among the best DCT available. This thread highlights some issues but the percentage of pbms is very small compared to total production (I don't have the %, so I guess that last statement is opinion more than fact).

Some issues, which may have to do with 3rd party changes - see post #61.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:39 AM
CPT Obvious
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I think the battery is a few years old. I might put my lightweight lithium battery in there that has higher cranking AMPs. I don't believe that the EVOMS software made any changes to the PDK software. Can the Porsche dealer just upgrade the PDK software and/or swap out the temp sensor on my existing PDK without getting a new one?
I'm pretty sure they can do the temp sensor swap at your local dealership. I'm not sure about the software but I remember reading something here about another member having the software updated at their dealership. Best of luck with it.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:14 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I see more issues with manual transmission than PDK.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:01 AM
CPT Obvious
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdrums
I see more issues with manual transmission than PDK.
I think the difference is a manual can be repaired locally whereas they sent my PDK back to Germany for an electronic component and wanted me to pay $14,000
for the honor. You have to break a lot of manuals to spend 14K.

I worry about the long term reliability of the PDKs, the oldest ones out there are only 6 and granted the percentage of failures is arguably low at this point but what will it be in 6-10 more years?

Hopefully they will have a program for tearing down and repairing the PDK at the local level soon.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:40 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,110 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Ok, had my shop pull the fault codes...here they are (they tried to reset them but they came right back)...

Name:  FaultCodes4_zps69c1cf93.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  80.0 KB

Name:  FaultCodes3_zps320af131.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  FaultCodes2_zpsc2e95379.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  FaultCodes1_zpsdbbceb94.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  82.2 KB
Old 02-13-2015, 10:58 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CPT Obvious
I think the difference is a manual can be repaired locally
There is not much a dealer can do to a manual either.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:38 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

More complex system, with no added redundancies, means greater probability of failure. Not to beat a dead horse (well, too late) but all the manumatics have been less reliable than the simple manuals, whether we're talking early Ferrari F1 transmissions, BMW DCT systems, or Porsche with PDK. For most drivers who can properly drive stick, the manual will be more robust and less prone to costly failure.

The PDK system will continue to develop and improve over time. Failures are of course few and far between. But these are first generation systems. At least (so far) there isn't the same mentality of actually having to avoid cars with PDK, unlike early F1 Ferrari transmissions, where people massively prefer the stick, not just for nostalgia or driving character, but because the F1 transmissions in the earlier F355s are known for being extremely unreliable and costly to fix...
Old 02-13-2015, 04:26 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by CPT Obvious
and even though the car was 2 years and 5,000 miles out of warranty, they split the cost of a new PDK unit and labor with me.
You sure seem to be taking this well. Care to share what your cost was?
Old 02-13-2015, 06:15 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Ok, had my shop pull the fault codes...here they are (they tried to reset them but they came right back)...

Your Durametric fault codes should map over to Porsche codes. Assuming I've done so correctly, here is what I can offer as potentially equivalent P codes (Porsche). Also your DME codes seem to suggest some problem with DME correctly reading / relaying info throughout the system and possibly a temp issue (???). The MAF reference in code 9010 caught my attention but it is an electrical fault. It may be as simple as your DME not properly communicating with the system so the activations and values passed along are implausible and trigger subsequent faults in other modules. Some of these modules go into protective mode (e.g. PDK) and thus initially indicate that module may the cause. But none of your PDK fault codes are ones associated with software or failed mechanical function of the PDK, so that's some good news. I'm guessing the PDK is ok, but to be 100% certain you should have a Porsche workshop with PIWIS II really check it out.

P401 = Control module is incorrectly coded
or Periphery connected to specified control module is incorrect
or Control module faulty (in most cases the cause is not the control module but incorrect coding!)

P418 = Open circuit in signal wire from stop test switch
or Stop light switch faulty

Not too sure on this one, as you have C100. If it maps to -
U100 = No power supply for DME control module
or DME control module incorrectly coded
or Short circuit or open circuit in the CAN drive
or DME control module faulty (in most cases the cause is not the DME control module but incorrect coding!)

These U codes are really DME and CAN issues and can trigger additional collateral faults elsewhere, which is what I suspect is causing your Sport mode failure, i.e. your code 5400, in other words, there is no real problem with sport mode, you just can't engage it until other faults are resolved.

Good luck, should be able to sort it out with a good shop. May be a new DME control unit or re-coding is required.

Quick Reply: PDK Failure