Sponsored by:

Falling out of love with PDK...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 01:52 PM
kon5t
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Let me get this right ... You want a poll that only includes people who do not heel and toe? Anyone who does should be excluded? I can predict your results.

I was and am an MT driver. I do own and drive a PDK. But you want me to exclude myself? Because I am counter to your desired outcome? Hmmmmm. Confused. Seems like this took a left turn. Sorry if I misinterpreted your intent.
can this really be this difficult?
Old 01-09-2015, 04:52 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Yesterday, Jalopnik posted a review of the new Z06 Corvette. In the article, the author criticizes Chevy for even attempting to compare their tranny's behavior to that of a PDK, effectively saying that the PDK is the gold standard that most shouldn't even dare to gauge themselves against. Read for yourself here: http://jalopnik.com/2015-corvette-z0...ger-1678181511

Also FYI, I had previously read that Chevy tried to build their own PDK but couldn't come up with one that could handle the Corvette's power. That seems like the best possible way for marketers to spin it!
Old 01-09-2015, 05:52 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

AFAIK,Porsche doesn't make the PDK either,ZF builds it for them.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:14 PM
moto one
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a driving coach/instructor, the majority of new track day drivers, and the so call knowledgeable folks that come to press intros, and driving experiences events truly have NO clue as how to truly drive, No feeling in the seat of pants, No real connection thru hearing the vehicle audible queues to motor revs vs speed. What dose this mean? They can't comprehend driving ether a Manual or PDK/DSG/Automatic And this experience comes from dealing day in an out for some time now.

I'm lucky enough that I raced mostly in a Manual format in the beginning, and with Dog Ring gearboxes (but you still need to know how to and when to use the clutch) I was quick to adapt to them, then the first real sequential gearboxes came (xtrac ect) along things got even better. With the advent of paddles it's wonderful, but you still need to know the song the motors playing to make the music and get the best out of it for the task at hand, with out doing damage to any of the components.

Over the past years I driven most makes, and the different types of transmission they come with, and arguing about what is best, is like debating religion. It depends on the individual, their skill level or not, and needs.

Mark.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by moto one
As a driving coach/instructor, the majority of new track day drivers, and the so call knowledgeable folks that come to press intros, and driving experiences events truly have NO clue as how to truly drive, No feeling in the seat of pants, No real connection thru hearing the vehicle audible queues to motor revs vs speed. What dose this mean? They can't comprehend driving ether a Manual or PDK/DSG/Automatic And this experience comes from dealing day in an out for some time now.

I'm lucky enough that I raced mostly in a Manual format in the beginning, and with Dog Ring gearboxes (but you still need to know how to and when to use the clutch) I was quick to adapt to them, then the first real sequential gearboxes came (xtrac ect) along things got even better. With the advent of paddles it's wonderful, but you still need to know the song the motors playing to make the music and get the best out of it for the task at hand, with out doing damage to any of the components.

Over the past years I driven most makes, and the different types of transmission they come with, and arguing about what is best, is like debating religion. It depends on the individual, their skill level or not, and needs.

Mark.

Outstanding post!

Quick Reply: Falling out of love with PDK...