Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine/fuel cleaner? seafoam/stp/lubro moly?

Old 09-18-2013, 12:30 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default engine/fuel cleaner? seafoam/stp/lubro moly?

Any idea which engine/fuel system cleaner works best?

I like to do one before next oil change, I had some oil getting into engine during track session (must is burnt by now), but I like to see if I can use something to do a bit of a clean-up.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:17 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

I have never used a engine/fuel system cleaner in the porsche. I just use top tier gas like Shell and drive it.
I have heard good things about sea-foam and Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner. I hope someone else here can give you a better answer.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Any idea which engine/fuel system cleaner works best?

I like to do one before next oil change, I had some oil getting into engine during track session (must is burnt by now), but I like to see if I can use something to do a bit of a clean-up.
If you feel a fuel system/engine deposit cleaner is called for use Techron. Mix it according to directions. One bottle should be sufficient, make that one treatment without any real symptoms indicating there's any problem.

The recommendation is to when the fuel tank level with the fuel to which you added the Techron to gets down to say 1/4 tank to change the oil/filter.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Bullseye7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tech swears by Seafoam. Once a year I dump a can of it into everything I own that has an engine - cars, truck, lawn mower...
Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 256 Posts

When researching these types of products, I like to start with their MSDS:

http://apkgroup.com/msds/English/Sea...01-2013%29.PDF

http://www.chemcas.com/msds112/cas/1...-3_98-95-3.asp

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/...&docFormat=PDF

At least it can give you a base line of what you are putting through your fuel system. The vast majority of the content is a carrier fluid for their additive, if there is any.

Over the decades I've found that buying name brand fuel at a high volume dealer and periodically exposing the motor to highway speeds with higher than typical RPMs for about 15 minutes does wonders for the engine.

Good luck with your search.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:21 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

BG 44! Best injection & valve cleaner I have found. Use it on all my vehicles once a year plus use quality gas. BG44 recommends getting the engine hot (Italian tune up style) after you pour it in. Will treat up to 20 gallons but I like to add it to about 12 gals (3/4 of a tank) and then run it hard until it is time to fill up again. Google it. You can buy it online for about $25.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
BG 44! Best injection & valve cleaner I have found. Use it on all my vehicles once a year plus use quality gas. BG44 recommends getting the engine hot (Italian tune up style) after you pour it in. Will treat up to 20 gallons but I like to add it to about 12 gals (3/4 of a tank) and then run it hard until it is time to fill up again. Google it. You can buy it online for about $25.
Do you add it directly to the fuel tank?

Trending Topics

Old 09-19-2013, 02:23 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

It's actually called BG 44k. You pour it into your fuel tank. Easily found on ebay.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:42 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

How does BG 44k compare to Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner? I have never heard of BG 44k.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,405 Likes on 852 Posts

I used Techron once in my 2009 C2S at about 40K miles - no noticeable difference. Used it probably four or five times in my 2000 Boxster S - no noticeable difference. Worth it? Who knows. But then again, how do you know there is not an axe murder at home in your closet waiting..... right now...... do you really know for sure? Hmmm... better run out to the store, buy a bottle, then hit the rat bas***d right between the eyes with it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I used Techron once in my 2009 C2S at about 40K miles - no noticeable difference. Used it probably four or five times in my 2000 Boxster S - no noticeable difference. Worth it? Who knows. But then again, how do you know there is not an axe murder at home in your closet waiting..... right now...... do you really know for sure? Hmmm... better run out to the store, buy a bottle, then hit the rat bas***d right between the eyes with it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
In most cars it is unnecessary. I've used it a few times once when trouble shooting what proved to be a failing AOS -- I actually felt the engine perk up after about an 1/8th of a tank of fuel had been burned but that could have been due to the failing AOS.

I used it again after a failing AOS flooded the engine with oil.

Then again before the engine's first smog test when I moved to CA.

In the Turbo I used it shortly after I bought the car since the car was used. I wanted to "clean" the engine of any deposits but after than one time I've never used it since.

In every case save the one exception I noted above, I noticed no real change in the engine's behavior. Reasonable usage and good gasoline works wonders to keep the engine free of deposits. (I came upon a Boxster engine with a head off to fix a broken valve. The chambers were so clean -- just a light brown color to them with no build up -- I thought the tech had cleaned them. He said no that is what the looked like from the outset. The owner (a woman) drove the car regularly using it for among other things a 15-20 mile commute twice a day.)

I have mentioned before after driving one of my cars for 30 or more miles a highway speeds how the engine perks up. Even though I use my cars a lot and drive 30 miles to/from work often this 30 miles is not at highway speeds due to traffic. But a plain old 30 mile or so drive at a steady 70mph seems to really "clean" the engine.

If I felt the need to use something I'd use Techron -- according to directions -- and that's that. I'd never add any thing to the intake and adding any additive to the fuel tank with the engine hot is kind of goofy.

Techron works cold as it reaches the deposits in a liquid form and acts to loosen/remove these. Once the engine is hot Techron works as a vapor but then changes back to a liquid to further help remove deposits.

Any additive that apparently only works with the engine is hot to me is a sub-par engine cleaner.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:30 PM
cyberay
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Disagree that it is unnecessary. With the advent of ethanol blended fuels, it is actually a necessity for any car that does not get used on a very regular basis. And even those that do can benefit from it. Ethanol, like brake fluid is hygroscopic, it attracts water vapor from the air and condenses it inside the fuel tank. Seafoam, a very good product, eliminates it. It also attacks engine deposits. But engine deposits are not the critical danger, the corrosive effects of moisture in the fuel tank and fuel system are. Keep the fuel tank as full as possible so there is less space for it to occupy, and use an additive that eliminates water in fuel. If you're engine is running well, don't expect to experience any noticeable difference. You'll just be keeping a well running engine running well by not allowing corrosion of critical parts.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:54 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberay
Disagree that it is unnecessary. With the advent of ethanol blended fuels, it is actually a necessity for any car that does not get used on a very regular basis. And even those that do can benefit from it. Ethanol, like brake fluid is hygroscopic, it attracts water vapor from the air and condenses it inside the fuel tank. Seafoam, a very good product, eliminates it. It also attacks engine deposits. But engine deposits are not the critical danger, the corrosive effects of moisture in the fuel tank and fuel system are. Keep the fuel tank as full as possible so there is less space for it to occupy, and use an additive that eliminates water in fuel. If you're engine is running well, don't expect to experience any noticeable difference. You'll just be keeping a well running engine running well by not allowing corrosion of critical parts.
So, have you used Seafoam? If so, how did you use it? Added to fuel tank? or oil? or through intake?
Old 09-20-2013, 03:23 PM
cyberay
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
So, have you used Seafoam? If so, how did you use it? Added to fuel tank? or oil? or through intake?
Once or twice a year I add Seafoam to all my vehicles. Always when the oil is changed, and usually once more when I remember. I simply follow directions on the can and add to the fuel.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

There's no widespread water problem with ethanol fuels.

Sure, filling up at out of the way stations that do not do much business can result in the fuel tank full of stale gasoline and possibly some water but I avoid these stations like I avoid the plague.

While the small amount of ethanol can attract/hold moisture the tanks are not vented to atmosphere. The fuel pump agitates the fuel so if a car sits a while when the key is turned on the fuel pump runs and the fuel is stirred up and any separation that has taken place is undone.

Top tier gasolines have detergents and running one a top tier fuel *always* keeps the fuel system clean without the need to resort to harsh and caustic cleaners that could erode the fuel injector tips, for one thing.

BTW, my 02 Boxster has covered 271K miles (burning around 10,000 gallons of gasoline) on mostly ethanol gasoline and has its original fuel injectors.

Except for rare cases there's no call to use any fuel system cleaner either on a regular or semi-regular basis.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine/fuel cleaner? seafoam/stp/lubro moly?