Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody in NorthBay w/ Eibach Prokit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anybody in NorthBay w/ Eibach Prokit?

I'm hoping to find someone around here hopefully with a C2S - preferably a 997.1 with the Eibach or Techart lowering springs I could take a RIDE in.

I'm edging closer to the precipice and would really like to feel the ride before dropping a couple grand on swapping out the springs (also considering replacing shocks & struts as I'm over 80k miles now, plus H&R sways front and rear).

My driving is mostly (west) Marin county roads, and in the twisties pretty much anywhere between say, Winters and Santa Cruz. Not much track time yet, but planning to do several PCA DE and HOD track days this year. I put just over 26,000 miles on the gray frog in the past 15 months, so it's not a weekends-only garage queen. I'm not bummed on the ride, but would love to tighten it up and gain flatter handling, without rattling my teeth out, dragging my front lip on the floor, or trying to find a 2nd car to drive because the 997 got too stiff.

Anybody around here with a similar set up I could catch a ride in?

Please let me know, I'd be happy to come meet up.

Thanks!

- Dan
Old 12-28-2014, 10:45 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Dan,

I, too, am thinking about adding Eibach Pro kit springs to my 2010 C2S. From everything I have read, the ride stays basically the same, just slightly firmer, not teeth rattling.

BTW, Eibach currently has a 10% rebate offer on their springs. The rebate offer runs from 12/24/14 through 12/31/14 at 11:59 P.M. Tire Rack has the best price I have found at $394.00 with free shipping. Most others are $407 to $441.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Thank you, yeah I've read what are generally "rave" reviews, which is why it's becoming a real consideration for me. I like the look of a big drop, but completely impractical for a "only car" so the Eibach's appear to strike that happy-balance.

But still, it seems a lot of the reviews i've read are from users who are weekend only or avid track rats, or highway drivers, so I'm hoping to ride in one on conditions similar to my typical roads- for example, with PASM "enabled" in my car, it's quite tolerable in most cases until I turn onto my street, but then the stiff dampers become a little much, so I tap the damper button when I turn onto my street. My concern is that the "non-sport" mode on the dampers will feel very close to the current (OEM) "sport" mode with the lowering springs. If so, that may be a little much for the girl riding shotgun on the regular.

If not, then I would like to go for it. My indie quotes $379 for the springs but certainly makes it back up in the labor (lol) - I think it's worth it, they definitely know what they're doing, and it's always nice to have a professional's support if I'm not totally stoked with the ride or any other element of the car.

Ex: when I had the headers installed, it got expensive quick, but only because they were making very solid recommendations, which looking back now, were well worth the expense. At the time though, my wallet was pretty pissed. Haha
Old 12-28-2014, 05:48 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
Thank you, yeah I've read what are generally "rave" reviews, which is why it's becoming a real consideration for me. I like the look of a big drop, but completely impractical for a "only car" so the Eibach's appear to strike that happy-balance.

But still, it seems a lot of the reviews i've read are from users who are weekend only or avid track rats, or highway drivers
FWIW....mine is a daily driver (not a lot of highway) on H&R's which are 1/4" lower than the Eibachs. I have zero complaints about the ride. Actually I can't tell much difference if any from stock.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:43 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Interesting Sandwedge, i've always liked the look of your car, great stance, wheels, color etc. but i mean, you really think it rides the same as stock on H&R's?

I took a bone stock T4s out today and I was shocked by how quiet it is. I had kind of gotten used to my exhaust I guess, but it's night and day to go from one to the other. Have you ridden in any stock models lately for comparison? I wonder if you've just adapted to the difference?

If so that's actually great news.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:09 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
Interesting Sandwedge, i've always liked the look of your car, great stance, wheels, color etc. but i mean, you really think it rides the same as stock on H&R's?

I took a bone stock T4s out today and I was shocked by how quiet it is. I had kind of gotten used to my exhaust I guess, but it's night and day to go from one to the other. Have you ridden in any stock models lately for comparison? I wonder if you've just adapted to the difference?

If so that's actually great news.
It has been a while since I rode in a 997 with stock suspension but I ride in other cars regularly and it's not like I sit there and think about how much more comfortable they are. Nor do I say to myself...."geez this is really uncomfortable" when I'm in the GTS. The ride is perfectly comfortable to me, especially given that it is a sports car. It really is a complete non-issue to me.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:26 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Interesting comments, I've been following this thread a bit. I drove a 997.1 C2S this past summer that was on H&Rs, stock lobster fork wheels but with spacers. This was a car that was for sale and the seller graciously allowed me to take the helm for 10-15 minutes. There were some slightly bumpy roads, and with the sport mode engaged I thought it was outrageously uncomfortable, like my S2000 was on its KW V3 coil overs. All sense of suppleness just gone, ad the car felt like it was skipping over the bumps instead of absorbing them.

Now granted the roads where I live have got to be markedly poorer than those in California, so that's the frame of reference in which to take my comments. That ride really turned me off the H&Rs, and it then got me thinking of TechArt springs. But then I stumbled upon a set of Bilstein Damptronic coil overs and the price was too good to pass up so I snagged them. I plan to install them next spring/summer, and if they are too much for me, then I'll grab some TechArts.

Interestingly, and it's probably nothing, but I have a set of Eibach Pro-kit springs on my B6 A4 Avant winter beater, and I think it rides perfectly fine for daily use (with the exception of scraping sometimes on large speed bumps and mounting curbs) but zero complaints for ride quality. And the stock springs on my C55 AMG are Eibachs too, and ride very nicely in my view, a lovely balance between comfort and sportiness. I know that the TechArts are made by Eibach, but they are differently spec' for spring rates and such from the regular Eibachs - Sharkwerks told me that, but then Champion and Pfaff said they are the same.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:47 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Interesting comments, I've been following this thread a bit. I drove a 997.1 C2S this past summer that was on H&Rs, stock lobster fork wheels but with spacers. This was a car that was for sale and the seller graciously allowed me to take the helm for 10-15 minutes. There were some slightly bumpy roads, and with the sport mode engaged I thought it was outrageously uncomfortable,
PASM in sport mode gets stiff, no disagreement there. But you can be in sport or sport plus mode and still manually select PASM "normal" for what to my senses and my body is a pretty civilized and comfy ride even when lowered.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:20 AM
TheLex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now you guys have me worried. I've got a 2011 GTS that's being shipped to me. Haven't driven it yet. I hope the ride is not killer punishing lol. It's got SPASM which is 20mm lower in total.

Last edited by TheLex; 12-30-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:38 AM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm in the same boat...love the drop the H&R springs provide but I'm worried I would be bottoming out all over the place on crappy San Francisco city roads.

I don't find the drop from the Eibach springs to be all that noticeable
Old 12-30-2014, 12:38 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

I think the comments in the thread go to show that ride can be very subjective. For instance, my buddy with a supercharged CTS-V went for a ride with me in the 997 for about 20 minutes, and afterwards he thought the normal PASM ride, ie Sport not engaged, was very harsh. I think the normal mode is quite nice actually.

But I will agree, the stance with the H&Rs looks awesome. Here's the car I spoke about

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/e...ationFlag=true
Old 12-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

I forgot to add - the car was sold by the dealer to a young guy last summer, then he was keen to sell it not two months later. That's when I test drove it. Then he clearly sold it back to the dealer. I found following the car's progress on kijiji rather interesting. I know that the dealer initially asked $64k for it last spring, but then young guy bought it for $64k out the door, taxes included. When I saw it he was walking $60k, but as the fall came he eventually ended up asking $50k with no luck. Now the dealer wants $60k again.

Quick Reply: Anybody in NorthBay w/ Eibach Prokit?