Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I get sold a used part as new?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 08:25 AM
curt_928
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So these are the two parts that arrived in the box. As you can see the one on the right is nice and clean and shiney and has a sticker and is clearly new with a 2011 manufacture date.

Emailed them to send another. Then tried to call the supplier twice or three times to clarify if they're going to send it or how I can return this part and of course... every time the service rep I asked to speak with was busy. I even waited on hold and went to voicemail.

Not impressed Pelican. Not impressed at all.
Attached Images   
Old 12-11-2014, 12:15 PM
curt_928
Racer

Got through via phone.. they're sending me another one with a return shipping box/label. We'll see how this goes..
Old 12-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Is that Pelican's sticker on the shiny one? It's obviously had another sticker on it before that white one.

The darker one has obviously either been dropped or hammered out based on the peening on the tip.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

It is clearly used. No doubt in my mind.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:18 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Ship happens. Even from the best suppliers. Problems do arise. If you don't have some problems then your not selling enough product. Its all on how you deal with your problem. Hopefully Pelican get this solved quickly and efficiently. Do follow up with us when it's resolved.
Other than the shipping they are just going to download this problem to their parts supplier anyway.
Just like Home Depot, or Lowe's.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Wayne 962
8th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi everyone. It seems that every year or so, there is a question / problem with the presentation of these mounts. A lot of it has to do with the supply chain and where the mounts come from. The suppliers often manufacture parts and then sell them to distributors quietly to avoid irritating or disrupting deals that they have with the OEM manufacturers of the cars (like Porsche in this case). As a result, the parts can and do sometimes look odd. Things like stickers removed, OEM logos ground off - stuff like that. That doesn't affect the performance of the part one bit, although it can cause confusion with the end consumer. Other than dropping these parts and only selling Genuine at 2-3X the cost, there's not much we can do except try to explain the situation.

I did have my supplier check all the mounts on the shelf, and some of them look like the one on the left and some of them look like the one on the right. I will have my Customer Service Dept ship you a matching one to the one on the right, and hopefully that will alleviate your concerns (I'll have them upgrade it to next-day air if it hasn't already gone out yet). We all understand that your Porsche is your baby, and you want nothing but the best for it, and that means exact matching pairs.

In addition, here's a clip from a thread from about a year ago, where someone had similar questions:

Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican
Hi Guys. I would like to apologize for the confusion here - there unfortunately is no simple answer. I will try to add some clarity however.

Let's start by discussing the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) that sell to the car manufacturers (Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, etc.). They produce many parts for them for use on new vehicles. I believe this where most of their revenue tends to come from. In addition, they also supply parts for the replacement parts supply chain within the manufacturers dealer network. I.E. they produce parts for Porsche that Porsche then places in their "Genuine Porsche " boxes and sells to their dealers as replacement parts. This business is also lucrative for the OEM manufacturers.

Then, there's the third chain, the one that Pelican taps into (to save everyone money). This is where the OEM manufacturers sell parts directly to Pelican and our suppliers. Sometimes there are contracts that these OEM manufacturers have with the manufacturer (Porsche) that detail that they cannot sell the exact same part through the third channel (outside of the control of Porsche). So, the OEM manufacturer may use many different tricks and loopholes to get around these restrictions. As a side note too, sometimes the OEM manufacturer doesn't even want the car manufacturer (Porsche) to know they are stuffing these parts out the back channel - in reality, sometimes it's difficult to tell where these come from if you're an end-consumer.

So, this is the case with these motor mounts. Rein is a distributor of German parts - they buy parts from the OEM manufacturer and then box them in their own "Rein" branded boxes. This would be the same as if Pelican bought parts in bulk from an OEM manufacturer in Europe and then "reboxed" them into a Pelican box. The mounts are manufactured by a company that is a subsidiary of CFW/Corteco. This company's name (which I have been asked not to post publicly) starts with a "V", and that is why the markings show that.

So, why do the parts not have an OEM part number? Because the manufacturers (Porsche especially) have trademarked their part numbering system and do not allow aftermarket parts to include that part number. It's way more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it. It's also why you might often see a part come in a box that looks brand new, but has a Porsche or BMW logo that was cast into the part - that casting is sometimes ground off. The reason why is because these parts were manufactured using the same molds and tooling used for the Porsche part, but the trademark needs be removed before it can enter the "alternative distribution channel".

Sorry for all the cloak-and-dagger stuff, but getting parts through these channels keeps the aftermarket and companies like Pelican alive and thriving. We can sell the same part from the same manufacturing line as the Genuine part, often for 1/3 the cost or less. Having to deal with these little confusion issues has been something that we've been working with for the past 15 years, and it's just part of the business. In general, it's not something that we like to see discussed in length on discussion boards because it can spook the manufacturers sometimes (this has indeed happened in the past).

I hope this helps to clarify, and thanks everyone for your continued support!

-Wayne

P.S. Pls forgive the "new user" account - my old account was converted over to our Pelican Sponsor account...

Wayne R. Dempsey
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.
I hope that helps explain the situation. Thanks for your patience and continued support,

Wayne
Old 12-11-2014, 08:01 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

When removing mounts there is no reason to have to hammer on the thread from below to remove them. Once the two bolts from above are removed the mounts come out without effort. My guess is it might have been dropped rather than a hammer causing that damage.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:08 PM
curt_928
Racer

Let me just say that Pelican has stepped up and is doing the right thing. I'll post an update when I get the new mount that I'm sure will be perfect.

I am sorry if I'm being "that customer"... perhaps a note on the mounts page with a link to address this? I didn't realize parts legal "complications"...
Old 12-11-2014, 10:27 PM
mdr2001
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

Curt,

This is an unrelated question - but how much give do the new OEM mounts have? My current mounts flex slightly under "decent thumb pressure". Not all the way to the metal, but about 40% of the way.

Do the new mounts flex at all under this level of pressure? I am trying to gauge original stiffness - I know its not very scientific

Thanks
Old 12-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 98 Posts

They shouldn't flex with that little pressure.

Originally Posted by mdr2001
Curt,

This is an unrelated question - but how much give do the new OEM mounts have? My current mounts flex slightly under "decent thumb pressure". Not all the way to the metal, but about 40% of the way.

Do the new mounts flex at all under this level of pressure? I am trying to gauge original stiffness - I know its not very scientific

Thanks
Old 12-11-2014, 10:45 PM
mdr2001
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks Speed5 - I had a suspicion, but most mounts I have replaced in past vehicles are destroyed, these still give resistance so I was not sure what they should be like new.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:45 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Thanks Wayne, for posting. Very good information.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:01 PM
curt_928
Racer

A final followup. Quite to my surprise Wayne and the gang at Pelican sent me a replacement mount that arrived today. It is perfect new and in the box. I'm impressed with the response and turnaround. I wasn't expecting to install these this weekend... but now I can according to plan.

As with many posts.. I am now forced to eat the crow that I wrote. Pelican did right in an exceptional manner and I won't hesitate to order from them again.. nicely done Wayne!

The prior shipped part is packed and will be at the shipper early tomorrow AM (couldn't make the 5PM close today ).
Old 12-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read this thread and good to hear that the motor mount replacement is being sent and Pelican stepped up.

That being said, anyone else think it was a little odd that Pelican suddenly posted into the thread about 8 hours after the first time the word Pelican appeared in the thread? I guess it is just e-business / monitoring whenever your business name pops up on the internet, jump in to the conversation.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:49 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Both mounts on that picture are used. Sorry.
Most likely it is a refurbushed product, still same used category for me

Quick Reply: Did I get sold a used part as new?