Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does anyone find the basic seats uncomfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 03:45 PM
tbrom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anyone find the basic seats uncomfortable?

Hey Guys,

Since I have been driving my 2013 Boxster S I am a bit disappointed in the basic seats. I am wondering if it's me or if others find the basic seats uncomfortable on long trips, that is trips of 4 hours or more or any trips really.

I've been wondering if anyone has traded out or gone to a dismantler for the 14 way seats and put them in? And if so what would one expect to pay and who is a good dismantler to go to? Any in FL?

I am 5'-8" and 190. Not too wide with narrow hips - so I'm not sure if I just haven't found the right adjustment or if they just aren't that comfortable to others?

Thanks everyone,
Tim
Old 11-26-2014, 04:11 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

991/981 seats are different than 987/997 seats. I'm not sure this is the best place to find your answer.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

I found the basic seats, manually operated in my 2000 Boxster S the best seats in any car I owned. I would however, slide out of them at the track but that stopped when I put in my belts.

I find my 2009 $2,600 Adaptive Sport Seats awful. At first I thought they were great...... two hours into a drive, my back problem is aggravated and i have to stop. I am starting to really hate them.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-26-2014, 04:56 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I found the basic seats, manually operated in my 2000 Boxster S the best seats in any car I owned. I find my 2009 $2,600 Adaptive Sport Seats awful.
I can go all day in my 2009 adaptive sport seats and arrive fresh as a daisy. But anything over 2 hrs in the base seats, whether manual or power, and I'm done. Can't stand those seats. 5'10" 160 lbs.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:43 PM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by BrakingBad
991/981 seats are different than 987/997 seats. I'm not sure this is the best place to find your answer.
Guess I should go to the 981 site - sorry everyone. Thanks to those that posted! Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2014, 12:02 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

My adaptive sport seats are much more comfortable for me that my wife's basic comfort seats. The sport seats are flat across the upper back all the way out to the shoulder support points. The basic seats up near the top, but below the headrest curve in there and have the outside edge slightly raised with padding which hits me right inside my shoulder blades, pushing my shoulders forward which is uncomfortable after even an hour.

Bruce, if you still have your adaptive seats, my wife might be interested in swapping you here regular power seats for your power adaptive ones. Let me know.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:08 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 300 Likes on 177 Posts

Are the seats really different? They look the same to me. They changed the names but I could have sworn they were the same.

I HATE the standard 997 seats. Why Porsche changed the name for the 991 to Sports Seats is anyone's guess.

Slap in some manual sport plus seats.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:12 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Originally Posted by tbrom
I am 5'-8" and 190.
I'm similarly proportioned -- 5'9", 195 lbs., 46 sport coat. I find the seats of my wife's 997.2S Cab a bit narrow for my shoulders. Somehow, I make do.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:30 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

I find the adaptive sport seats in the 997 to be very comfortable and very supportive. I'm 6'4" and about 205 lbs. I have no issues with them at all. My old 996 had the comfort seat option. They were great for a long cruise, but they didn't offer much in the way of lateral support.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:50 AM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 80 Posts

The basic sport seats in my .2 C2S kill my back after long drives (2+ hours). I have very broad shoulders, so the lack of should bolsters, which the adaptive sport seats have, is the issue for me. I keep looking around to find a set of adaptive sport seats, but no one seems to be selling them in grey.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

I have what I am guessing are regular power seats with memory. What is the difference between *** and basic seats with power/memory. How can I tell which seats I have
Old 12-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
I have what I am guessing are regular power seats with memory. What is the difference between *** and basic seats with power/memory. How can I tell which seats I have
Regular seats, which Porsche calls Sport Seats are widest at the bottom and curve consistently up to the narrowest point, which is the top of the head rest. The backs of these are leather or vinyl depending on your interior packages.

Adaptive Sport Seats have shoulder support "wings" built into the back and usually have hard dark grey or body color painted backs (there is an option to have these covered in leather, but it's very rare). There are manual versions of these seats and power versions - the backrest recline feature is always power.

There is another iteration of the Adaptive Sport Seats, called Adaptive Sport Seat Plus versions which are full power and have inflatable side bolsters for both the lower and upper seat sections. You can tell these since they have two small silver switches on the front outside corners.

Then there are the Carbon Sport Buckets that are made of carbon fiber. Newer versions of these have the rear seat portion hinged so they allow access to the rear seat, but are less adjustable than either of the seats above. These have slots for racing harness belts built into the frame.

Then there's Carbon Race Buckets which look like racing seats and have a 1-piece shell where the back is not hinged at all. These have slots for racing belts built into the molds.

Attached are a couple pics of the Standard Seats (which Porsche calls Sport Seats but others call Comfort Seats) and some of the Adaptive Sport Seat Plus versions.
Attached Images      
The following users liked this post:
gjenk (09-26-2022)
Old 12-01-2014, 11:30 AM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by steve0827
The basic sport seats in my .2 C2S kill my back after long drives (2+ hours). I have very broad shoulders, so the lack of should bolsters, which the adaptive sport seats have, is the issue for me. I keep looking around to find a set of adaptive sport seats, but no one seems to be selling them in grey.
Or Luxor Beige either....thanks for posting this - my shoulders aren't that broad but the seats pinch my shoulders in and the back just gets me in the kidneys....long trips would be a bummer I think...

The dealer told me or I should say the salesman, said that the 18 way adaptive sport seats which come standard in the Turbo are not so comfortable for long trips - anyone that has them care to speak to that???
Old 12-01-2014, 01:40 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Regular seats, which Porsche calls Sport Seats are widest at the bottom and curve consistently up to the narrowest point, which is the top of the head rest.

Adaptive Sport Seats have shoulder support "wings" built into the back and usually have hard dark grey or body color painted backs (there is an option to have these covered in leather, but it's very rare). There are manual versions of these seats and power versions - the backrest recline feature is always power.
Porsche sport seats for the 997 are the manual version of the adaptives and have the wings. The base seats are the comfort seats without power. So you can have either shape with manual or with full power.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:32 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Great write up on the seats. So i have base seats full leather and power/heat.
Bruce,
If you are up for an even trade I would do it.

Quick Reply: does anyone find the basic seats uncomfortable?