Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for All Season Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 12:07 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 101 Posts

I recently mounted the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my 1985 911 and I am pleased with them. I came off of Yokohame S drive summer performance tires which were fine, but it was difficult to find modern high performance tires which would fit. My plan is to keep summer tires on my 997, thus relegating it to the garage in cold weather, while the a/s tires on the 911 will make it my all season drive. I will not drive it in snow or if salt is on the road and I don't track it.

So far I have driven the A/S 3's in very heavy rain and they were much better than the old tires, which were about 4/32. As for lateral grip, the tires are still a bit too new to really push, but I have pushed them enough to satisfy myself that these tires likely won't surprise me--no stability control on the 911--and if they come close to the hype I will be very pleased.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:20 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

I've had both Conti DWS and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my BMWs, a Volvo, and an Audi. Performance was more similar than different, both very good. The Michelins seemed to wear very quickly; I only got about 18,000 out of them on our Audi allroad. Albeit, that was a very heavy car, but lightly driven.

One thing about the Contis that I noticed, which may or may not matter - they aren't entirely black. More like a super dark brown, and they don't look as wet and sexy as other tires after dressing. Again, maybe not a big deal, but worth mentioning.

I think both of these are the best all season tires on the market. Hard to go wrong, really.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I'm in Raleigh and just got some of the Bridgestone 970s mounted on my winter wheels. Last year I drove with the Michelin Pilot Sports all winter (my car is a daily driver) and I have to admit, they Michelins got a little squirrelly when the temperature dropped below about 40 degrees. That's what got me to buy a winter set.

I can't say how the Bridgetones do yet--not cold enough--but if you're just looking for information for a later date, I will certainly report back on how my Bridgestones did once the weather gets cold.

FTR, they drive just fine when it's warm. Depending on how well they wear, I might consider them for all-year driving (no track duty for my car).
Old 11-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
DWS all the way! Quiet, great
Grip in rain, and have snow capability and/or cold temps. Price is right too! I went w 10mm less width front and back 225 and 295 instead of 235 & 305. Just a great tire!
Second the DWS.

We have a similar climate in North Alabama. I need something that will handle cold, rainy days...it basically rains from Dec thru Feb in Huntsville with highs in the 40's and 50's.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
I'm in Raleigh and just got some of the Bridgestone 970s mounted on my winter wheels.

FTR, they drive just fine when it's warm. Depending on how well they wear, I might consider them for all-year driving (no track duty for my car).
I drive them all year, also no tracking. I get about 16K from the rears and 28K from the fronts. YMMV of course.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

A consumer products evaluation publication that I subscribe to (with the letters SEE ARE) lists this ultra high performance all season tire as the best based on their evaluations:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

Followed by this one:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season
Old 11-10-2014, 10:16 PM
John in Bismarck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Bridgestone RE970 all seasons, on the advice of Damon at Tire Rack. I am delighted with them, and they are a big improvement over the Michelin PS2's, which are as hard as hockey pucks in cold weather. I don't plan to drive in the snow, but appreciate the ability to drive safely in cold weather (which we have plenty of). We use our 997 mostly for road trips, and I think the all season tires are a better choice for us.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:09 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks to all of you for the feedback.

I have decided to go with the Bridgestone RE970 A/S .

Quick Reply: Looking for All Season Tire Recommendations