Sponsored by:

Left Foot Braking - Pedal Position

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 04:44 PM
FFSstavros
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

long, tiring trips
Cruise control too boring or just not available in your car?
Old 11-05-2014, 05:36 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Corners and traffic can still exist on a long boring trip Noting like a bit of left foot acceleration to mix it up a little!
Old 11-06-2014, 12:04 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I broke my leg in college and the only way I could get around was to learn to drive with my left foot while my leg was in a cast. It's easy enough after a few miles.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:14 AM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I left foot brake when I autocross but I don't do it during track days or regular street driving.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:46 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Two-foot driving may or may not increase your times on the track. I don't know too many people who race automatics. If you really raced, you'd know how to heel-toe and you wouldn't need your left foot anyway.
I know several such people, but then again I track. Mostly I track manuals but my 996T is a tip and I run it in Porsche Club sprints. As others have pointed out, left foot braking helps lap times and can also be used with manuals, as I do. YouTube has plenty of footage of rally and track champions doing the same, though I realise not all do it. Just takes practice, like most things worth getting good at.

I was taught that driving an automatic with two feet was very bad form--especially if you also occasionally drive a manual transmission car where you need to use your right foot to brake.
Granted, this is a risk, particularly when first learning the skill or when driving inattentively. On the flipside, it greatly reduces reaction time when braking for unexpected events and allows much faster accelerator-brake cycling which helps with maintaining car control during fast cornering or emergency manouvers. Similarly, I find it invaluable for getting fast autocross times.

Since you shouldn't drive with your foot resting on the brake pedal, in a panic stop, your left foot would have to come off the floor and then push the brake. Your right foot is closer and already at the right height so I don't see how left foot braking could be faster.
As Jake's (the OP's) opening question about leg fatigue illustrates, neither he nor I are resting our left feet anywhere usually - they remain positioned millimeters from the brake pedal, ready for instant action.

Originally Posted by nzskater
Another question that I'm sure will generate some feedback: do you ever drive with ONLY your left foot? I have occasionally found myself doing so on long, tiring trips to give my right foot a break for 15 minutes or so...
No, but it has occured to me before that it I hurt my right leg, I'd probably be able to drive auto fine with only my left. Since the accelerator is even more offset to the right than the brake is to the left though, and it doesn't carry the reaction time and cornering advantages of left foot braking I wouldn't personally be doing it voluntarily.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:24 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

I must admit it was post injury and only happened on one trip.

On reading this today I thought to test my brake light, I need to depress the pedal about 2-3mm before the light turns on. Be interested to know how others cars behave? As above, I don't rest my foot on the pedal. It tends to hover just above.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like several of the posters before me, I left foot brake during autocross (and my car is a manual). Given the very rapid and frequent swapping between braking and gas, I can't right-foot only brake and get anywhere near the level of speed control that I can with both feet. That said, I still probably end up being slower more often than not because of timing mistakes that result in the engine cutting power for what seems like an eon. Nothing as maddening as coasting for a few seconds in an autocross. Ah I wish that could be turned off.

During any other driving time, I right foot brake. I've never found it to be a problem swapping between the two. What is a bigger problem for me is swapping from the 911 (which is manual) to my other vehicles (which are automatic). Within the first 5 minutes, I will try to press the clutch in on the automatic and lock up the brakes in the process. I've got at least 3-4 gallons of dried up coffee on the dashboard and windshield.

Quick Reply: Left Foot Braking - Pedal Position