Sponsored by:

Left Foot Braking - Pedal Position

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 08:08 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Left Foot Braking - Pedal Position

Driving my Tipo 997 TT I find that 95% of the time I left foot brake. The only problem is that due to the pedal position being designed for right foot braking my left leg starts to feel a little uncomfortable on a (boring) long drive (spirited drives I am usually distracted by the fun so don't notice any discomfort).

Am I the only one who tends to drive like this? Has anyone modified the pedal to position it in such a way that it's more suitable for using your left foot? Do you stab the clutch with your left foot when occasionally driving a manual and wonder why it's not slowing down?
Old 11-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Am I the only one who tends to drive like this?
I used to, just in traffic, but any accidental accelerometer + brake results in a nasty engine power dive so I stopped cold turkey.

Do you stab the clutch with your left foot when occasionally driving a manual and wonder why it's not slowing down?
I have the inverse of that. Coming from manuals, I get in my 911 Tip and occasionally stab at a clutch that isn't there and hit the brake and wonder why it IS slowing down.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:19 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,395 Likes on 2,513 Posts

The only people I ever knew who left foot broke were really old people.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:22 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I though it was a track technique for automatics, reduces time between gas and brake application and can be used to keep boost up in turbo cars.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:24 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by mattyf
I though it was a track technique for automatics, reduces time between gas and brake application and can be used to keep boost up in turbo cars.
I don't know any old people who track.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:43 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Lolz
Old 11-01-2014, 11:56 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder how old? We were taught (early 80's) to never touch the brake with the right foot. These days, drifting while texting takes precedence over such mundane details.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:55 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

My left foot gets bored otherwise. I used to have one stronger leg from skateboarding, I'd hate to find a continuation of the problem now that I drive often.

Makes sense though, why not use both feet? I foresee a manual-less future where only really old people right foot brake!
Old 11-02-2014, 01:11 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 186 Posts

I do.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:06 AM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I do.
x2.

And I place my left foot on my dead pedal and use it for leverage when driving hard.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:46 AM
LexVan
Banned

You can always tell when you're behind a left foot braker; their brake lights flicker at times or go on a strange times, and the blue white hair.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:11 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I used to have one stronger leg from skateboarding, I'd hate to find a continuation of the problem now that I drive often.
Tongue in cheek, right?!

Methinks that if driving on the road is your only activity / sport, the only thing that will change is the size of your ****.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:43 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by david
Tongue in cheek, right?! Methinks that if driving on the road is your only activity / sport, the only thing that will change is the size of your ****.
Ha, definitely. Although skateboarding can off balance you you a little!
Old 11-02-2014, 02:39 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

You can always tell when you're behind a left foot braker; their brake lights flicker at times or go on a strange times, and the blue white hair.
But can you pass them?
Old 11-04-2014, 12:10 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Left foot braking and brake pedal offset

Lol. Have you considered broadening your social circle? They probably have little choice on those small electric buggies...

Driving my Tipo 997 TT I find that 95% of the time I left foot brake. The only problem is that due to the pedal position being designed for right foot braking my left leg starts to feel a little uncomfortable on a (boring) long drive (spirited drives I am usually distracted by the fun so don't notice any discomfort).

Am I the only one who tends to drive like this? Has anyone modified the pedal to position it in such a way that it's more suitable for using your left foot? Do you stab the clutch with your left foot when occasionally driving a manual and wonder why it's not slowing down?
Same here. Fastest way to drive a Tip on track, as explained earlier, and allows quicker braking reactions and adjustments on road too. Also good preparation for karting and single seaters.

I have the same occasional discomfort with the pedal position so keen to hear back if you solve it. As you say, no problem on track (even during a recent 3 day track tour with about a thousand miles of driving all up), but can become annoying during regular commutes.

It actually makes enough of a difference on track (mostly to mid corner composure and adjustability) that I'm learning to mix left foot braking and heel and toe downshifts in a manual track car too (about as hard as it sounds - it comes down to maintaining the same rate of brake pedal pressure change while swapping the braking foot and needs to be completed by turn in to preserve smooth trail braking). Getting the hang of it now and have gone well in races while using it most corners, but will see how it develops.

I've looked for easy answers to the comfort side of the offset pedal problem (best candidate being a left thigh bolster) but ideally I think the car would need the pedal moved and to be recerted as a low volume vehicle (if they allow it, but it's not something I'd do to mine).

Originally Posted by Chrono
I used to, just in traffic, but any accidental accelerometer + brake results in a nasty engine power dive so I stopped cold turkey.
Seldom, but occasionally happened to me in my 996T. Hated it and asked my tuner to kill this programming. Not sure he succeeded but I'd trained myself not to invoke it by then anyway so haven't experienced it in well over a year. Maybe it's not a problem anyway when PSM is completely off? Will do some tests to check.

Last edited by 996tnz; 11-04-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Left Foot Braking - Pedal Position