Sponsored by:

Widebody ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 12:57 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by aggravation
Must be a wide body. You could sit on that 'ledge'. Yet the lights seem to wrap all the way around the bend so it must be a narrow body...
Totally confused.

All I do know is without some pronounced hips the back half of the new 911's look too much like a 1975 Chevy Monza sometimes. And that is a sin!
Once seen, can not be unseen ... HELP!!!
Old 11-08-2014, 07:38 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MY997
Hey everyone I just learned something interesting about the 991 models today from my Porsche Motorsports division. The GT3, the 4 and the 4S are wide bodies but they are a tad (did not know the exact difference) narrower than the Turbo and Turbo S...only the 991...on the 997 they were all the same...interesting and why??? Oh well...
Yes, the 991 Turbos are wider because they couldn't fit the turbo engine & high temp exhaust under the same "roof" as the 991WB!😃
Old 11-08-2014, 07:57 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MY997
Not sure about the exact measurements ^^^ but before I was a 997 owner and knew the difference I only knew that whenever I saw a 911, I found that sometimes I would see one and think "Dang that is bad a$$ looking and friggin awesome" and then other times I would think "Man that is nice...but not quiet the same look I saw before" and I came to find out the difference was that wide stance and the way it looked...not that I have done a serious side by side comparison but my buddy has a C2 and last weekend leaving a Cars & Coffee event he drove behind me and when we got to our destination he just kept going on and on about how friggin wide my car looks from behind and he loved it...so much so he is ordering spacers this week to push his wheels out to get more of that look.
While the C4S is is wider by 13/16th of an inch in each side, the reflector strip is the reason it looks wider than it is. It is simply a cleverly designed optical illusion to make the w/b cars look wider than they really are. Another example of "Porsche cool aide."
Old 11-09-2014, 10:45 AM
MY997
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gota911
While the C4S is is wider by 13/16th of an inch in each side, the reflector strip is the reason it looks wider than it is. It is simply a cleverly designed optical illusion to make the w/b cars look wider than they really are. Another example of "Porsche cool aide."
Hmmm...interesting point...I often forget about that as I don't see the rear of my car much...except in my avatar...LOL

Last edited by MY997; 11-09-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:19 PM
MY997
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gota911
My buddy with a beautiful C2 and I were talking about this and comparing our cars this weekend and we decided it is not the 13/16th of an inch that makes a slight difference in appearance...we think it is more of the way the WB roof line slopes into the rear fender...when looking at both, the WB roof line makes more of a direct decent (sort of) to the rear fender where the C2 is more gradual and sloped into the rear fender...heck my C4S rear fender almost looks like you could sit on it (see avatar) and please don't anyone try that...LOL Anyway not sure if I quite explained it correctly but that is our 2 cents!!!

Quick Reply: Widebody ?