Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Horn stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:14 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Try turning the wheel a few degrees at a time. Each time you turn,stop and try the horn. If it works at a certain angle but doesn't after you've moved it to a new angle,it's a good indication the clock spring is bad. It sometimes makes contact at a certain angle and then loses it again.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:46 AM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a horn fail, but there are two (each has a different frequency), and based on comments here, it's not uncommon for one to fail, but I'd lean toward neanicu's diagnosis since both failing at the same time would be odd. Not totally impossible, especially if you didn't notice the "dying goose" sound of just one horn working for a while.

I forgot to take a picture of the original horns when I replaced mine (thread here), but the failed one was totally full of rust. The "good" one was also rusty, just not quite as bad. It's a pain to replace/upgrade the horns, since you have to remove the bumper cover.

They live in a crap place since they are close to the radiator...lots of heat cycling, especially bad in humid conditions. I'm hoping the PIAA horns will be more resistant to the conditions.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:20 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Several years ago people were having trouble with their horns, but I believe the horns themselves were the problem.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:23 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by hurricanesteve
I had a horn fail, but there are two (each has a different frequency), and based on comments here, it's not uncommon for one to fail, but I'd lean toward neanicu's diagnosis since both failing at the same time would be odd.
This. Very unlikely for both horns to fail at the same time. Don't know what the problem is, but we can be pretty confident that it's not a simultaneous failure of both horns.

Neanicu's suggestion sounds probable.

Have you tried intentionally setting off your alarm? That's another way to see if the horns are working. They would be receiving a signal from somewhere other than the horn button that way.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:15 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

I do agree that Porsche uses some of the crappiest horns in the industry,so anything's possible...
Old 10-31-2014, 04:22 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Porsche is about performance everything else is crappy..eg bose sound, horn, key, headlight assy, etc.. But the performance of the car just makes you forgive these things.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:04 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Porsche is about performance everything else is crappy..eg bose sound, horn, key, headlight assy, etc.. But the performance of the car just makes you forgive these things.
Too true!

Meanwhile, I agree that the first thing to look for is not multiple failures, but a single one, almost always. However, I would add one thing in this car ... I don't think I've used my horn more than twice in the last 20 years. Years of motorcycle riding taught me to get out of the way first and foremost. The horn does little good after the fact.

So if you are like me, your first horn could have failed some years ago and your second horn failed sometime after that.

Or, if you are like others, you may not have been listening for two horns so you didn't know one was already dead.

Just saying.

So short of using jumper wires to make temporary connections for testing, the alarm idea is brilliant.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:16 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter

Have you tried intentionally setting off your alarm? That's another way to see if the horns are working. They would be receiving a signal from somewhere other than the horn button that way.
Originally Posted by Wayne Smith

So short of using jumper wires to make temporary connections for testing, the alarm idea is brilliant.
There is a third horn that just does the alarm that lives in the frunk near the battery.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:49 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
There is a third horn that just does the alarm that lives in the frunk near the battery.
Maybe previous owner installed an aftermarket alarm and added an extra horn/siren. I've never seen this 3rd horn near the battery.

Found it - didn't know car had 3 horns.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 10-31-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:59 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Several years ago people were having trouble with their horns, but I believe the horns themselves were the problem.
True. I've had three 997 cars and replaced a horn on each of them. But as others have said, they have two horns and the likelihood of both failing at the same time is slim. For me, it was just one of the two horns that failed on each of my cars.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:36 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 802 Posts

I just checked on my 2010 4S. I've got one horn that works well, I'm not sure about the second horn (I decided to not further upset the pups), and a third horn under the plastic up near the windshield washer reservoir for the alarm.

Good call on noting the independent alarm horn! So much for using the alarm to check.

I'm siding with the common cause camp as opposed to the multiple failure (both horns are failed) camp. That simply makes the most sense.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

OK, I unlocked the car this morning and started it up, pressed the horn button and it let out an asthmatic single beep and then nothing. I slowly turned the wheel and pressed the horn various times to no avail.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:57 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just spent the day in the 991 and noticed my horn doesn't work either. Never seen this before?
Old 11-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

OK, I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes and then started it up. Still no horn. I did set off the alarm and it went off but it sounded pretty feeble. I emailed my service guy at the dealer and he said that its probably not the clock spring and they often see both horns fail together because one dies and it puts more draw on the other which is usually compromised the same as the failed one. I'll probably bring it in next week if I get a chance.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

OK, so after sitting overnight after disconnecting the battery I now have a horn. I guess that rules out the horns and the clock spring. My suspicion is that when the airbag code was cleared after two months of having the track seat in that it through the ECU got confused. I had an initial PASM & PSM warning but they cleared after awhile. So, while everything cleared up, I got a brake pad sensor error. I have all of my sensors zip tied out of the way but I suspect that when I cranked the wheel all the way to each side one of the connectors made connection with something and caused the code. I'll see how it behaves and if nothing else develops I'll pull the sensors and inspect for damage and re-install.

Quick Reply: My Horn stopped working