Sponsored by:

#$%&@ horns

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 04:37 PM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default #$%&@ horns (UPDATE #1)

my bumper cover removal project list continues (3rd radiator, dead horn, dead airbag sensor); working a little every day on it.

Since I read tons of folks have had trouble with the stock horns, I bought PIAA horns on amazon to replace (they are a little bigger and mount differently so I had to get creative with a new bracket made from flat aluminum stock).

I thought it would be trick to reuse the existing connectors, so I tried to disassemble them. Two things became apparent: (1) the connector is pretty much unremovable even after dremel-ing all around to see how it's attached, (2) the horns are FULL of rust. This car has been a TX car all it's life, has 20K miles on it and rarely gets it's horns used. Only thing I can think is somehow humid Houston air getting expanded and compressed when the car heats up/cools down right next to the radiator (condensing water vapor inside the thing). I don't see an easy path for rain or splashed water to get back there.

One horn still worked, but both are nasty with rust right at and all inside the port (have to remove the plastic 'horn' to see it). Junk.

I'm in the middle of making sure the PIAA horns fit right, but the basics are
-remove the existing horn bracket (one nut)
-pull the connectors
-Bracket dimensions TBD
-get 4 crimpable female spade connectors and very short runs of 18ga wire
-use crimpable tap-splices to connect into the existing horn wiring

Cross fingers that this is a loooooong term solution so you don't have to remove the bumper cover again for a while I am worried that the location is the reason the horns are short-lived...but there isn't a whole lot of choice to move them.

UPDATE: I've futzed with the layout for an hour or so now. I think I've got it, but the previous description of the bracket will not work. due to the 3-dimensional space constraints, I had to angle the bracket (so nice of Porsche to provide two holes for the stock bracket...the smaller one is like an indexing hole, but works to allow me to drill two diagonal holes in the flat aluminum stock to get a nice angle toward the back of the car). The horns and bracket must avoid the 3rd radiator hose, the air temp sensor connector, the airflow scoop, the passenger side plastic radiator endtank, the 3rd radiator lower support, AND the bumper cover. I believe I've got it. There will be a compromise: the horns will sit much lower than stock, so if you drive through water 4 inches higher than the bottom of the bumper cover (horrible idea, of course), you will soak the horns.

Anyone know what the access hole on the passenger side of the bumper cover is for? It looks like that's an easy path for water to get splashed up in there (stock horns or aftermarket will have this issue).

another UPDATE when I finalize the bracket and take some pictures.

Last edited by hurricanesteve; 07-28-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:58 PM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

pics of the bracket and orientation of the horns here. I hope with the two measurements of the bracket, you can infer the angle required. photos got rotated during upload...left is UP.

all buttoned up today and the horns sound terrific (loud and a nice tone, too).

Got the horns at amazon
here here

As you can see, I ended up pulling the plastic shields off the horns for a slightly better fitment. Hardware is two grade 8.8 M8 bolts, nuts, and split lock washers. The smaller bolt was an M6 I think...had it in the garage inventory.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: #$%&@ horns